Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting fitness first

Options
  • 06-04-2008 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

I was going to open an individual blog but theres more to be learned from the other posters here and want to get back into the fitness forum community here.

At the moment I'm pretty out of shape from a combination of poor diet and inconsistent regime. It's incredible how you can rationalize reasons for not working out on a particular day.

By maintaining this thread will hopefully help track goal setting, diet and exercise. Lack of knowledge isn't an excuse at this stage. BTW, pretty scary putting photos up but fek it.

Sunday 06-04-2007
    Bodyfat: 15.5%

Weight: 90.3 KG

Height: 6'3"

Neck: 15.5
    Chest: 39
    Bicep: 13
    Wrist: 7
    Waist: 37
    Hips: 41
    Top of Legs:25
    Knee: 15.5
    Calf: 14.5

Goals:
    I'd like to get below 10% BF
    Do a one arm pushup (ala Naked Warrior)
    Bench 90kg

I'll put up a routine in the next post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Weight: 90.3 KG

Neck: 15.5
    Chest: 39.5 (+.5)
    Bicep: 13.5 (+.5)
    Wrist: 7
    Waist: 37
    Hips: 41
    Top of Legs:25
    Knee: 15.5
    Calf: 14.5

Mon 21/5/2008 Max Effort Upper Body (Monday) - Session 1
    Session 45 minutes

2000m warm up on Row Machine

Bench press (smith) - 10 x 30kg, 10 x 35kg, 10 x 40 kg, 10 x 47.5kg
    Incline dumbbell bench press - 10 x 20 (warm up), 10 x 30, 6 x 40, 6 x 30
    Seated cable rows (t bar) - 10 x (don't remember, 4 plates from the bottom of stack) x 4
    Bent-over cable flyes (single arm) - 10 x 12, 6 x 14, 10 x 12, 10 x 10
    Low pulley Swiss ball crunches (shown below) - 10 x 2.5kg x 3

Impressions:
    Weak and feel like an amatuer after being away so long.

Mon 27/5/2008 Max Effort Upper Body (Monday) - Session 2
    Session 1 Hour

Bench press - 8 x 45kg, 8 x 45kg, 10 x 40 kg, 10 x 47.5kg
    Incline dumbbell bench press - 10 x 20 (warm up), 10 x 30, 6 x 40, 6 x 30
    Seated cable rows (t bar) - 10 x (don't remember, 4 plates from the bottom of stack) x 4
    Bent-over cable flyes (single arm) - 10 x 12, 6 x 14, 10 x 12, 10 x 10
    Low pulley Swiss ball crunches (shown below) - 10 x 2.5kg x 3

2000m cardio on Row Machine

Diet:
    Oatmeal and Toast
    Green salad, Chicken and Vinagrette + Banana
    15 piece of Sashimi + 4 beers
    Cheeseburger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

How come you're using the smith machine to do your benching with??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

What routine are you following?

The reps appear too high on all your exercises to have any ME lifts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Al_Fernz wrote: »

I was going to say that. The structure is like no conjugate cycle I've ever seen.

• Advertisement

Wed 28/5/2008 Lower Body
    Session 1 Hour

Oly bar Deadlift
    12 x 60kg, 10 x 70, 7 x 80, 7 x 80, 5 x 70
    Single Leg Squats, Back Leg Elevated
    Holding 8kg Dumbells in each hand
    11,11,10 on each leg
    Leg Curls
    10 x 40kg, 10 x 55, 10 x 55
    Pull Ups
    4 x Bodyweight, 4 x Bodyweight

Verdict:
    Think I finally have the hang of deadlifts. Grip was hard on 80KG but I think this was just sweaty palms. Should be able to make steady progress now that comfort level is ok.
    Single Leg Squats are great but found it hard to maintain balance. Hoping these are a precursor to doing Sissy Squats (Pistols).

Diet:
    9am: Oatmeal, 2 slices of Toast + butter
    1pm: Green salad, Tuna, Lettuce, Sun Dried Tomatos, Olive Oil + Banana + Tracker bar
    6pm: Thai Chicken Red Curry + Small Bowl of White Rice
    9:30pm Tuna Sandwich

Malteaser! wrote: »
    How come you're using the smith machine to do your benching with??
    Hi Malteaser! I know, crappy gym in Carrick On Shannon has no Benches. Will use Dumbells in the future.
    I'm following Westside for Skinny (Fat) Bastards III.
    @ Al_Fernz, Hopefully I can learn from your experiences with the same programme.
    I was going to say that. The structure is like no conjugate cycle I've ever seen.
    So is Conjugate cycle training that involves Strength and Sports training like Speed all together?

You have misinterpreted the program.

Your exercise,rep and set selections are all wrong. I apologise if I'm being a bit blunt here but I actually can't find one thing in your workouts that relates to the WS4SB approach.

Perhaps a re-evaluation of what your doing is needed? IMO you should adopt a more basic program.

As for an explanation of conjugate training - Dave Tate does it better than I ever could:
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/conjugate_training.htm

Your exercise,rep and set selections are all wrong. I apologise if I'm being a bit blunt here but I actually can't find one thing in your workouts that relates to the WS4SB approach.

Perhaps a re-evaluation of what your doing is needed? IMO you should adopt a more basic program.

As for an explanation of conjugate training - Dave Tate does it better than I ever could:

No problem honesty is appreciated. I've included the link to the programme and also put in what I done for my last session including the section from WSFSB programme A,B and C.

WSFSB3

So looking at ME Lower Body workout on the WSFSB3 programme I done as follows
    ++A - Work up to a max set of 5 reps.
    Oly bar Deadlift

++B Perform 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps.
    11,11,10 on each leg

++C Perform 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.
    Leg Curls
    Pull Ups

Am I really that far off for that session in terms of misinterprating sets and reps?

Yup, well said. You're WAY off base with what you're doing right now.

Literally the "conjugate" cycle is about training the many different qualities of strength at the same time using different methods (maximal effort, dynamic effort and repeated effort). It's originally Louie Simmons powerlifting baby, and has since been adapted by many. Most notably - Joe DeFranco, the guy who wrote WSFSB.

Your lower sessions looks ok...ish. Volume is still too low for someone of your level in my opinion. Look at your deadlifts, you're WAYYY off base. You're supposed to work to a max set of 5 reps. That is to say the most weight you can lift for 5 reps.

You did two sets with 80kg for 7 reps, and ended up with a max set of 5 with 70kg some how?? The idea is to work up with sets of 5 to a top set. You don't waste energy on warm ups. Basically you could do something like....
    60kg x5
    65kg x5
    70kg x5
    75kg x5
    80kg x5
    85kg x5 (if ya can.... being able to do 80 x7 would imply you do!!)

Keep asking questions. It's the best way to learn.

• Advertisement

No problem honesty is appreciated. I've included the link to the programme and also put in what I done for my last session including the section from WSFSB programme A,B and C.

WSFSB3

So looking at ME Lower Body workout on the WSFSB3 programme I done as follows
    ++A - Work up to a max set of 5 reps.
    Oly bar Deadlift

++B Perform 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps.
    11,11,10 on each leg

++C Perform 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.
    Leg Curls
    Pull Ups

Am I really that far off for that session in terms of misinterprating sets and reps?

As Hanley said you need to work up to a top set for the ME lift. I know I made similar enough mistakes when I started. Check out my journal and you see where I went wrong with the ME lifts at the start of the program.

I'm such a muppet! Thanks a million lads, sure they won't be the last mistakes but I'll learn. I read through your journal and seen where Arsenal... mentioned that. Looking forward to next ME upper body day.

Football Training 2 hours
    1/2 hour of circuit training in weights room

Jog 800 metres
    Sprint work weaving through cones
    Skills
    Match
    Warmdown

I've been running a pretty standard conjugate upper cycle for the last 10-12 weeks or so, you can see it here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055097149&page=31

I had been doing the lower portion to but I injured my hamstring so had to do something different for my lower body.

I'm such a muppet! Thanks a million lads, sure they won't be the last mistakes but I'll learn.

Nah you're not a muppet, more of an a$$clown really.:pac:

Seriously though, who gives a sh1t if you misinterpretted one or two things? Everybody does. One of the best things that you can do is post your log up here. The information I've gotten from this website has really been invaluable.

Keep training hard mate - you will make good progress.

Oh and would you be able to drop the Smith machine bench?

Oh and would you be able to drop the Smith machine bench?
    Thanks man. I hate the Smith too. I think all the benches were being used in the GYM so had to use the Smith. Only other time I'd use it is for circuits before a football training session.

Sat 31/5 Rep Upper Body
    DB Bench - 18kg x 12, 20 x 11, 20 x 11, 20 x 10
    Skull Crushers (EZ Bar) - 10kg x 10 x 2, 10kg x 15 x 2
    Lat Pulldown - L11 x 12 x 2, L11 x 10, L12 x 7
    BB Shrug (Smith) - 80kg x 12 x 3
    Preacher Curls (EZ Bar) - 25kg x 10 x 3
    Was pretty pooped at this stage so just done some machine crunches and 30 twisting situps

Comments:
    Need to up the BB Bench but I guess that's the aim of the game anyway
    Skullcrushers a bit light too but was concentrating on getting stimulation in tricep.

Tried the electronic BF measure you hold in hands. Apparently my BF reading is 18.2%, classic skinny fat I guess.

Diet (Previous Day):
    Porridge + Protein Shake, Banana
    Pear
    Vegetables in light pastry type thing with side salad
    Powerade during golf
    Tuna Sandwich
    Went out, water, 1 Coke + 2 Red Bulls
    Cheeseburger

Previous Day
    Round of Golf
    Played GAA Match

Diet (Previous Day)
    1. 1/2 Cup Oatmeal, 1 tbl honey, Scone + Butter + Jam, Banana
    2. Soup, 2 small bread rolls + butter, 1/2 slice Brown Bread + butter, small green salad
    3. Steak, Carrots, Brocolli
    4. Mixed Green Salad + Olive Oil + Vinagrette, cottage cheese, x2 slices ham, x2 slices brown bread + butter, x2 slices home made cake
    5. apple, kiwi fruit
    6. bowl of corn flakes

Session 2.1
    Monday 2/6, ME Upper

BP (Smith, I know) - Bar x 10, 20kg x 5, 40kg x 5, 50kg x 5, 55kg x 4, 60kg x 1

Chins: BW x 10, x7, x 5 (no pullup/chin/dip frame, had to use smith machine frame which was slippy as hell), L12 x 10

Seated Row (): L12 x 10, L14 x 10 x 3

BB Shrug (Smith): 70kg x 10, 70kg x 15 x 3

EZ Bar Curl: 20 x 5, 25 x 3 x 3

2k rowing machine in 9:25

Measured BF at 13.8%, those machines are haywire! Same machine showed reading of 18.8 a few days ago, think I had alot more water on me then. Pinch test is enough anyway, know there is a long way to go until I'm near 10%.

Impressions
    Not a great session. Because my local Gym wasn't open had to drive the 20 miles to Carrick which does not have a bench or pullup/dip station. Should have used Dumbells instead of Smith for BP. Shrug was tough since bar was very slippy but enjoy working delts.

Tried this wide grip bar bigfit_2004_69778.gif for seated rows. Got a really good squeeze in rear delts and behind scapula.

Diet
    Porridge + 2tbsp Honey, Glass OJ + tsp creatine
    Home made scone + jam + butter
    Salad (Lettuce, Peppers, Potato Salad, Celery/Apple Salad, Beetroot, Vinagrette) + 1 Slice Brown Bread + Butter
    Pork Chop + 1 Potato + Carrots + Broccoli
    4 Buns
    Apple
    Porridge + ON Protein Shake

No football training as had meetings til 9.

Diet
    Oatmeal + 2tbspn Honey, Scone + butter + jam
    Apple
    Roast Beef + Veg + 3 Small Potatos + Gravy
    2 Buns + Banana
    4 Small Ham Sandwiches + Several Cocktail Sausages + Handful Totrtilla Chips
    Tuna Sandwich with small bit of Mayo on Wholemeal Bread
    1 Bottle Heineken

Diet 5/6
    Attending a training event in Hilton
    All Bran, Continental Breakfast: 4 slices of ham, 3 slices of cheese, x2 slices of bread, small apple pastry
    Cod with 2 scoops of mash + Cheesecake desert
    x2 shortcake biscuits
    lamb and chicken mixed kebab on pitta
    7 pints of Heineken
    1 Cheeseburger

not a great day:o

Heading to gym shortly

• Advertisement

Session 2.2 6/6/2008
    Oly bar Deadlift
    10 x 60kg, 10 x 70, 10 x 80, 10 x 86.8
    Holding 10kg Dumbells in each hand
    11,11,11 on each leg
    Leg Curls
    4 sets, think was 1 x 12, 3 x L14
    Lat Pulldowns
    2 sets, think it was 10 x 12, 10 x 12

Was very tired going into the session. Quite comfortable with deadlift once it's initially lifted off the ground. Think I need to work more on getting more power in hips initially. Need to get form checked before adding much more weight.

Hurried session since I was heading to meet someone.

Diet
    Chicken with Tikka dressing and salad (lettuce, cucumber, tomato)
    1 apple
    x2 Yakatori Chicken skewers + 14 Piece Sashimi
    1/2 Chocolate cake desert
    5 pints of Heineken, 1 bottle Heineken

Diet
    Eggs Benedict
    Pumpkin Soup + Ham and Cheese Toasty
    Large Slice Pizza
    Banana
    Dairy Milk
    bowl of cornflakes
    1 bottle of beer

Session 3.1 ME Upper Body
    Dumbell Press: 16kg x 8, 18 x 8, 20 x 5, 22 x 5, 24 x 4
    Lat Pulldown Machine (inside shoulder width, palms in): 10 x 50kg,10 x 55,10 x 55,9 x 65
    Close Grip Seated Row: Wasnt using a proper machine, pulley was almost at ground level and wasnt getting enough forward/backward rowing movement in back during the exercise 30kg x 12, 40 x 12, 50 x 10
    Smith Machine Shrugs: 70kg x 10, 75 x 10, 80 x 10 x 2
    Ez Curl: 20kg x 5, 25 x 3 (full ROM, back of palms touched front of thighs, real squeeze on biceps on concentric), 20 x 3 x 2 (using upright bench to simulatate preacher curl bench)

Diet yesterday
    Porridge + Honey + Banana
    2 Tuna Sandwiches + 6 cocktail sausages + Handful of chips
    Steak + 1 Potato + Veg
    1 Slice Home made apple tart
    Large bowl of cornflakes
    1 orange

Diet today
    Porridge + Honey
    Steak + 2 Potatos + Cauliflower + Mushy Peas + Carrots + Celery
    Slice of Apple tart
    4 thin slices of onion and herb bread with butter + 4 thick slices of Guoda cheese
    Banana
    2 handfuls of Mixed Nuts

Did you do a MR sess? Because it looks like your just doing random sessions.

Also where are the supersets?? And looking at your ME lift you're doing to much reps and not enough sets.

The diet is a bit off too. I'm not to sure if you want this cleaned up, but IMO you need to re-evaluate what your doing in this area too.

Did you do a MR sess? Because it looks like your just doing random sessions.
    I missed a MR session last week. Planning for
    Mon: ME upper
    Tue & Thurs: football training
    Wed: ME Lower
    Friday or Saturday: MR Upper depending on match
    Also where are the supersets?? And looking at your ME lift you're doing to much reps and not enough sets.
    Will look at your programme again and put in supersets for next sessions where appropriate.
    The diet is a bit off too. I'm not to sure if you want this cleaned up, but IMO you need to re-evaluate what your doing in this area too.
    No excuses there, I'm as clued in as anyone as to what's good/bad. It's only when you honestly record what you're consuming that you realise the way your mind can rationalize almost anything!

The MR session will help hypertrophy so I don't think skipping it is the best idea. Try and get it in and extend the week to 8 days if you know what I mean.

On holiday in Malaga, using gym in the hotel. Bit tight for time so trying to fit in some sessions.

Yesterday:
    DL: 8 x 55kg, 8 x 65, 8 x 75, 8 x 85, 8 x 87.5 (hopefully get to my BW of 90kg next week)
    Single Leg Squats: 16kg x 10 x 3 (failed on very last rep)
    Leg Curl: n/a, no machine and did'nt replace since was in a hurry
    Pullup: 5 x BW, 3 x BW, Lat pull machine: 8 x 50kg (very slow movement), 9 x 50 (medium pace)

Diet
    Bowl of cornflakes
    Chirrozo, Salami and Cheese sandwich
    Mixed plate of seafood: Shellfish, Mussels, Prawns, Sea Bass (yum) cooked to perfection with no sauces. Bread roll, 1/2 TiraMasu
    Carburys Bar
    Heavy night, 10 beers + 2 Whiskeys

Today:
    Upper Max Rep session to make up for last week
    BP 35kg x 12, 40 x 12, 45 x 12, 50 x 12 (last rep v tough), 52.5 x 6, 52.5 x 5
    Skull Crusher: 16kg x 12 x 2, 18 x 12 x 2
    Chins bw x 6, bw x 41/2, lat pulley 75kg x 8, 65 x 10
    DB Shrug: 24kg x 12 x 4
    Preacher Curn (EZ bar): 10KG (+bar) x 10, 25 x 10, 25 x 7, 25 x 5 failed on 6th

Verdict:
    Tired, weak and hungover after about 3 hours sleep not a good session but better than doing nothing I suppose.
    I think from now on I should sit down and plot what I'm going to do in a session down to the last rep.

Maybe do this for the remaining weeks, no thinking anymore just go in and follow to the letter. Although this is better than my efforts before I need to up my game big time.

Advertisement