Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackheads...

Options
  • 06-04-2008 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Hiya Ladies

Just wondering if anyone knows the best way to get rid of blackheads? I have them mainly on my nose and a few around my mouth and chin... (sounds hideous but their not that obvious) Ive tried those strips that you stick on and pull off but they mainly seem to pull off the top layer of skin!!
    Ive had them for as long as I can remember and I exfoliate twice and week and cleanse everyday..... Any advice would be great!!

Thanks a mil
    Claire

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sondra

Hi Claire

A remedy from a good few years ago was to mix white iodine with boiling water in a basin and throw a towel over your head. Opens the pores and cleans them out. I have no idea where you will get white iodine though.

Sondra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

Im not even sure what that is!! Anyone any ideas on where I could get hold of it?

There should be a couple of post 9/11 iodine tablets knocking around in the back of some press home. ;)

If you get a facial, they extract your blackheads.
    It might be that you actually have enlarged/open pores though.
    There are products to minimise the appearance of these, but you can't get rid of them as such.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Moonbaby wrote: »
    There should be a couple of post 9/11 iodine tablets knocking around in the back of some press home. ;)

Mine are all out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

you can pick up a black head remover took which looks like this:

bea-sim102.jpg

you place the end over the black head and press to force it out - but be carefully using it as it can mark your skin. If you do a google on it you'll find good clear instructions on using it correctly

found one here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Having battled acne in various forms for about a decade, I can give you some pieces of advice. Dont bother buying that blackhead remover. Use hair pins. They do the same as that fancy blackhead remover, except with these you dispose after every use. I am sure the blackhead remover has disposable tips, but they will be over priced, and hair pins do the job just as well.

Do not press to hard or you will cut your self, and/or leave a scare. Make sure to soften your skin before you do it. I use warm water and some soap(not actual soap, but use your favourite skin cleanser). Afterwards, use an alcohol based solution to wipe over the area. I quite like using the clearasil pads for this. Another thing that I found to help was a combination of witchhazel and vodka(on a cotton pad, not taken orally!).

I should point out im a bloke and that my skin is probably a little different to yours, so you may need different quantities.

Try and find out where the grease that is causing them is coming from. I discovered most of my greasy skin was down to stress and not diet. Despite what my dermatologist had told me. I could have a day where I drank nothing but water and have salads all day, and be covered in them, and I could drink coke all day and just eat greasy food, and look terrific, and it was all down to the amount of stress I was under. Consider changing jobs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Exfoliate, Exfoliate, Exfoliate

and don't bother buying expesive exfoliant creams, get a pair of exfoliation glooves (in Boots for about €1.95). put them on (when just washing your face or in the shower) and lather up a blob of your face wash then scrub. Don't go overboard, the key is to do it gently but to do it everyday, also as a previous poster said make sure you prepare first by opening our pores first (in the shower this will happen natually after a couple of mis under the hot water, if just washing your face wet a big corner of your towel and press onto your face for a couple of mins)

If you are in a gym try and get to the steam room at least once a week, biring your glooves with you ands do the same as abve - the steam room is excellent for getting rid of blackheads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

Thanks a mil guys, will definitly give all your suggestions a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭macbarbie

im sick of blackheads... i really look after my skin but constantly get them on my cheeks, sounds bad but not noticable! but i know they are there... and this is such a delicate are....if i try get them out i get marks on my cheeks!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

It could be worse...I get them in far more cruel and unusual places :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

My nose looks like someone sprinkled it with coarse black pepper.
    Never found anything to deal with that, and not vain enough to go to much effort to do so, so I just live with it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

OP why not go for a facial? The beautician will deep cleanse your skin and also be able to give you tips on skincare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

there was this beautician who used come to this nursing home i worked in as a student she had brilliant skin and well mine wasnt so i said id ask her. her tip was to exfoliate and to dilute a few drops of pure tea tree oil on a cotton pad and rub into your face. it worked wonders for me my skin has never been so clear. and i put a few drops into my moisturiser as well. think it was the best thing that ever worked. it doesnt work very quickly over a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Apply a moisturizer with 2% salycylic acid, its a chemical exfoliant that exfoliates the pore linings as well as the surface of the skin. Takes time to see results, so its a long term strategy. Perhaps get a good facial with extractions, then start with the cream. Lots of over the counter brands contain it, so check the ingredients. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

isnt there a cream for this. I think there was a post in personal appearence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Annabellsxxx

Im a beauty therapist and you can have a facial and ask for a steam treatment and manual extractions to be done this should help clear up the black heads but blackheads or comedones which is the proper name for them are when the oil in the skin becomes oxidised meaning like when an apple is cut and it starts to go brown well the air is oxidising the pores causing black heads get a good facial in a salon with the obove treatmets incorporated and then pick up a good toner for your skin. An asrtingent one which has tightening effect may be the best one for your skin e.g which hazel but you should realy have a skin anaylis done by a pro. first and get the right products for your skin type this will all help your clogged pores....

Advertisement