Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dell laptop faulty - what are options?

Options
  • 06-04-2008 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    My monther took delivery of a new dell inspiron 1525 laotop earlier this week

The Delete+Down Arrow+Right Arrow don't work on the keyboard
    The laptop takes 3-4 minutes to boot (even after removing the dell Bloatware)
    The laptop fan sounds like an aircraft taking off and it pumps heat out like a hair dryer!

We have to wait until Monday to call the dell support line
    What are her options?

I presume dell will want to replace the faulty parts?
    However my mother has no faith in this laptop (she called it a monday morning build)

Can she return it to dell and get her money back?
    If so what is she liable for(dell shipping? Any other costs?)
    What are dell like at processing refunds?

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

if the laptop was bought under home use she can return under dells 7 day rule ( this doesnt have anything to do with the laptops quality on delivery, its just a condition in place at point of sale).

I think its 7 business days so she should still be able to do this.

If it was bought for business use the terms and conditions are different and she wouldnt be able to return for no reason.

If outside the 7 day return period or if its busineess order Dell do not have to return the laptop straight away. They are allowed to attempt a repair or replacement before they do a return.

She wont incure any additional costs if she eventually gets a return it will be a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

And stay away from it as well then................i can't stand them tbh.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Just give them a ring, I took delivery of a faulty laptop last month and decided at the same time I wanted a different version anyway.

So I got on the phone, explained the fault, they arranged for it to be collected and I ordered a new one so that they'd be on the same day.

The refund went through about 3 days after they collected the faulty laptop. All in all, I was pretty happy with how it worked out and I love my new laptop.

I didn't get any grief from them at all, it went very smoothly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've never had a problem returning anything to Dell. If your buying budget machines, you have to expect every now and then you'll get one with a problem. So you just return it, or get it repaired if its a small problem and you are happy with the rest of the machine. I've never had a problem doing either.

Do a search on any make or brand and add the word "problems" after it. You'll get a shed load of result. No make is immune. Paying more isn't always better either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dell will most likely send a replacement and either swop with the faulty laptop or collect the faulty one a few days later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Hi All
    Thanks for your replies
    Dell have agreed to collect the faulty laptop and refund the money in full

Took about an hour on the phone... but at least we are rid of the "hairdryer!"

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

I just, last thursday bought a dell xps 1530 and I am having a hard disk problem also. When I turn the system on, the hard disk goes nuts with lots of clicking which is so loud, it can be heard clearly standing about 3 meters away from the laptop in a quiet room. When windows vista is loaded and everything is sorted and the laptop is just sitting idle, there is a constant click every second or two which i suspect is just the reading/writing to the disk, but the sound of the clicking is getting in on my nerves.

I previously owned a dell inspiron laptop and the hard disk in that was absolutely silent.

Im also thinking of either returning the whole system to dell or if i can, just the hard disk. can i just return the hard disk?

also, i have loaded some programs like ms office, azureus and some games, should i delete these before i send the system (or hard disk) back?

does there have to be something wrong with the system to be able to return it?

cheers,

dan.

If you talk to Dell supoort they will likely send you out a replacement disk. After you run a few mindless test that they'll ask you from a script even if common sense would suggest the fault is as you explained.

Or (with a specific time limit) you can just say it wasn't what you wanted and send it back. I'd restore the machine back to defaults, they might not wipe it before they send it out again.

firstly, thanks for you reply.
    secondly, when you say "restore the machine back to its default", do you mean uninstall the programs i have installed, clear the internet cache thing and return the system to its correct settings?

coz the things i done on the system since i got it was install 2 games, browse around on the net, disable indexing, system restore, maybe one or two other things.

Theres usually a restore disk. Thats what I meant. But maybe thats overkill.

• Advertisement

nice one thanks boston

If you want to return the machine don't mention any faults or they are entitled to try fix them. Keep it simple.

Advertisement