Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 3MB

Options
  • 06-04-2008 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I'm on the 3MB line and have gone to speedtest.net several times since I got it (only few weeks ago) to see what speeds I'm getting.

Download is usually around 2.6MB but upload is always around the 128kbps mark .... should it not be much higher? Is there any reason why it's so low?

Oh and I have the ethernet cable plugged in the whole time.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

tinkerbell wrote: »

Download is usually around 2.6MB but upload is always around the 128kbps mark .... should it not be much higher? Is there any reason why it's so low?

Thanks!

First thing you need to check is what the Modem is synching up at. If its Netopa, open IE and type 192.168.1.254 into the address bar and you will see your connection information you see Speed 3048/256 (kbps).

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭axton1

Hi folks

I'm on the 3MB line and have gone to speedtest.net several times since I got it (only few weeks ago) to see what speeds I'm getting.

Thanks!

I think normally the upload should be about 30% min of the dowload speed
    can depend on the isp. All the different offers thatwe are bombarded with
    and they all have their little small print that puts you righ back where u were before, sorry for the ranting. but I have just signed with bt for 12 months and now everthing is cheaper from the competition

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

First thing you need to check is what the Modem is synching up at. If its Netopa, open IE and type 192.168.1.254 into the address bar and you will see your connection information you see Speed 3048/256 (kbps).
    Thanks! Here's what I got from that:
    Speed
    3072/384 (kbps)
    So is all that ok then?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭axton1

I think it should be around 1 mb.
    But it this will only affect u if you upload alot to the web / websites.
    most people just want fast dowload as fast as they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Thanks! Here's what I got from that:
    Speed
    3072/384 (kbps)
    So is all that ok then?

Yeah thats the way it should be, what are your other stats, attenuation and SN margin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

axton1 wrote: »
    I think it should be around 1 mb.
    But it this will only affect u if you upload alot to the web / websites.
    most people just want fast dowload as fast as they can get.

upload on a 3mb line with eircom is 384 kb/s but i'm on 2 mb that should have 256kb/s upload and most of the time get 120kb/s upload

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

nilhg wrote: »
    Yeah thats the way it should be, what are your other stats, attenuation and SN margin?

They should be irrelevant, as once it's synced it's synced, unless it drops out. I'm getting about 210 or 220 from it syncing at 256 and 1792 for syncing at 2 MB.

Advertisement