Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

60kmph or 80kmph?

• 06-04-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Just curious as to whether you would all be in favour of increasing the speed limit on the outer ring road(N25) from the current speed limit of 60kmph to 80?

Do you feel 60 is too slow for such a stretch of road or do you think 80 would be unsafe?

Personally I'm amazed at the current speed limit....What's the point in having a by-pass when using it is actually longer than going through town?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Just curious as to whether you would all be in favour of increasing the speed limit on the outer ring road(N25) from the current speed limit of 60kmph to 80?

Do you feel 60 is too slow for such a stretch of road or do you think 80 would be unsafe?

Personally I'm amazed at the current speed limit....What's the point in having a by-pass when using it is actually longer than going through town?

it should be 100k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

The speed limit is due to the distance between the ring roads from what I've heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭TheFlatulator

I feel it should be 80, as when you driving you had to keep the car slow as the distance and rate of flow needs to be at 80. If you think about it, most traffic is moving that fast anyways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭xanthe

Travel that stretch of road alot, heard also the speed limit is to be adjusted. 80 would be good though ...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Good question. 60 is to slow but is 80 to fast? Considering the distance from each roundabout, if you drive up at 80 do you have enough time to slow down when approaching the roundabout?

Obviously 90% of the drivers do not go at 60 on this stretch, so I assume 80 is okay.

100 is to fast for the stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I think that the reason for it being 60 is that more development is expected along the ring road, meaning there will be far more entrances and exits to shopping complexes etc, so it will be safer driving at 60 with these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

Personally I think it should be 80, I would travel from one end of that road to the other for work every day and to be perfectly honest, not using is much quicker for some reason.

Why all the roundabouts ? surely slip roads would have been more effective in some places rather than roundabouts.

Anyway - back to point, not many people actually go 60 on that road anyway unless they have a L plate - so I think yes, it should be increased to 80 with a notice that says roundabouts approaching also! There is one or two good stretchs on that road that you could easily do 80 on.

It is also stupid that they couldn't build a flyover at the Tramore road but built on one that shi*ty road close by, try going in there at 8.30am

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It is also stupid that they couldn't build a flyover at the Tramore road but built on one that shi*ty road close by, try going in there at 8.30am

Take the back road before it (just after Pawdy). Otherwise, take the old Waterford to Tramore road and when you reach the ORR take a left and travel down to the main roundabout. Both work very well during heavy traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cost cost cost! Roundabouts are a fraction the price of cloverleafs/flyovers etc. There was never a chance in hell of sophisicated infrastructure on the OTT and to be honest its not required, what is required is 80 kph and a spur to run behind the Williamstown golf club to the Dunmore road. It'll never happen though.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Sully wrote: »
    Good question. 60 is to slow but is 80 to fast? Considering the distance from each roundabout, if you drive up at 80 do you have enough time to slow down when approaching the roundabout?

Obviously 90% of the drivers do not go at 60 on this stretch, so I assume 80 is okay.

100 is to fast for the stretch.

If you have ever driven on the Kilkenny Ring Road you would know that it is 100 Km/H, have as many roundabouts even closer together and is even more built up than the ORR. So to say that 100 Km/H would be too fast for a Median Seperated Dual Carrigaeway is a stretch of the imagination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

When it opened, I imposed my own speed limit of 100kmh, so far so good :) A cop told me that anyone doing the legal speed limit on that road is "suspicious" and likely to get pulled

wellbutty wrote: »
    When it opened, I imposed my own speed limit of 100kmh, so far so good :) A cop told me that anyone doing the legal speed limit on that road is "suspicious" and likely to get pulled
    Why then do the cops do speed checks on that road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Why then do the cops do speed checks on that road?

Rarely use ORR for that reason. I agree it should be 100K/hr also.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ec18 wrote: »
    The speed limit is due to the distance between the ring roads from what I've heard

Kilkenny has 80 and 100 yet the distances are less, I've never seen it cause any issues on the ringroads up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

funny enough wellbutty, the only time I've ever been stopped on that road is when I was doing 60km/h. Learning from that incident, I've overtaken squad cars on that road, and not had a thing said to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

wellbutty wrote: »

I stick to the 60km/h and most people overtake me. I've no intention of breaking the speed limit on that road as I know several people including my mother in law who've been caught doing around 80km/h and they've been fined and got points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭horsebokks

the reason for the lower set speed limit is because of the presence of the adjacent footpaths and thus making it a "pedestrian friendly built up area"....
    dont know why they bothered with the 60kph because any time i've been on that road i reckon 1 in 5 drivers were within the speed limit

deisemum wrote: »
    I stick to the 60km/h and most people overtake me. I've no intention of breaking the speed limit on that road as I know several people including my mother in law who've been caught doing around 80km/h and they've been fined and got points.

And fair play to you. Your dead right, dont take the risk.

The guards in Waterford will pull you over on the ORR if you drive considerably over the speed limit. Speaking from experience.

And fair play to you. Your dead right, dont take the risk.

The guards in Waterford will pull you over on the ORR if you drive considerably over the speed limit. Speaking from experience.
    But surely they will penalise you for doing 65 kmh or so if they catch you at a spped trap - what is the point of doing speed checks if they are only going to stop people going considerably over the limit - does the cop make up his own speed limit on the spot?

• Advertisement

But surely they will penalise you for doing 65 kmh or so if they catch you at a spped trap - what is the point of doing speed checks if they are only going to stop people going considerably over the limit - does the cop make up his own speed limit on the spot?

Iv no idea what the policy is, but those who say they go "60" often go a little above anyway.

They pull people over who break the speed considerably as they are more dangerous I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Absolutely, the speed limits in this country are a mess in general. For example, a relatively good road like the Tramore road is 80kph (not 100% sure, someone might correct me); turn off on to a boreen and the speed limit is 100kph. There are cases like this all over the place. The speed limits are such a mess that they are ignored by a large number of motorists and this of course has a negative knock on effect. If the speed limits made scene and reflected the safety or not of the road it governed they would be respected by motorists. This would have an overall positive effect of road safety.

...They pull people over who break the speed considerably as they are more dangerous I suppose!

Myth, speed does not cause crash’s stupid driving does.

But stupid driving is more dangerous at higher speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Debateable.
    Most people don't know their limits.

I have a full licence for 8 years and I am driving for 10 years. It is my experience that speeding is not the underlying causes most accidents. If somebody is doing 70 on a 60 road and overtakes on a bend, it is the overtaking that caused the crash. Speeding, speeding, speeding is constantly bandied around as the main cause of traffic accidents along with drink driving. A lot of drivers are just not paying attention to driving and I would point the finger of blame particularly at middle aged motorists. I do a lot of cycling and when somebody cuts me up or drives to close or puts me in danger somehow, 95% of the time, when I look in the driver’s seat it is a middle aged person at the wheel. I know some people will not like me saying this but that is what I have experienced.

But stupid driving is more dangerous at higher speeds

Exactly.

Overtake at a slower speed on a bend - risky.

Overtake at a faster speed on bend - much more risky.

Hence, being more risky gives higher chance of being a crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,510 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Myth?? What are you talking about.
    Of course stupid driving causes crashes, such as overtaking at bends, or ant other stupid driving.
    But its fairly obvious that you are more likely to crash at higher speeds. Any rational person can see this.
    Trying to drive down a narrow winding backroad at 100km/h is alot harder than at 30, so it is the speed here that is the only cause of making it more difficult and therefor making you likely to crash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Absolutely, the speed limits in this country are a mess in general. For example, a relatively good road like the Tramore road is 80kph (not 100% sure, someone might correct me); turn off on to a boreen and the speed limit is 100kph.

I don't think there are any 100km/h roads off the Tramore Road, but your point is still a valid one. You can turn off the 60km/h ORR and then do 80 on the Airport road. Or turn off the Tramore road and take the coast road drive to Dunmore and the limit is still 80, when it should be 30 for a big chunk of it.
    The speed limits are such a mess that they are ignored by a large number of motorists and this of course has a negative knock on effect. If the speed limits made scene and reflected the safety or not of the road it governed they would be respected by motorists. This would have an overall positive effect of road safety.

I agree 100%. Unfortunately at the moment speed limits are set by the type of route that the road is on (regional/national/etc.) and not based on the actual quality of the road.

• Advertisement

Exactly.

Overtake at a slower speed on a bend - risky.

Overtake at a faster speed on bend - much more risky.

Hence, being more risky gives higher chance of being a crash.
    I'm not even talking about overtaking on a bend, that is downright stupidity

On a road such as the ORR you will have people switching lanes carelessly without observing properly, not slowing down at roundabouts, and leaving or joining the road at entrances. These are situations where a crash can happen, and given the driving I see on this road I am amazed that they don't happen on a daily basis

But if they do happen they will be far worse at 80kmh than at 60kmh

Advertisement