Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this knowledge based economy thing about?

Options
  • 06-04-2008 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

All I hear from this government and particularly Michael Martin is:

"We need to create a knowledge based economy"

Even the media is subscribing to this almost without question. They seem to have compartmentalised this. Mainly talking about educating the young, those at school / university NOW to a level of knowledge based economy FOR THE FUTURE.

YES - I agree with this BUT BUT BUT I dont hear anything about the rest of us:

What of the existing workforce? The person in their mid 30's - 40's - 50's who has just been made redundant? Can they upskill to the new Knowledge based economy? Have they the ability to? How could they?

If they manage to upskill who will the employer take on? The university person or the 40 year old? I bet the former - why? Well cheaper for a start and also ageism - which by the way - exists ( no legislation can be made to eradicate this from peoples minds ).

WHAT QUANTIFIES A KNOWLEDGE BASED ECONOMY? WHAT TYPE OF JOBS ARE IN THIS KNOWLEDGE BASED ECONOMY? WHAT SKILL SET IS REQUIRED TO PARTAKE?

I have texted / emailed radio stations about this in the past. No body seems to want to answer - it seems as long as we use MICHAELS buzz phrase KNOWLEDGE ECONOMY - all will be ok, dont worry guys.

Maybe we should have a new compulsory show on the state broadcaster called - AN Printíseach ( the apprentice as gaeilge )

Instead of Alan Sugar have it hosted by Michael Martin AND that all people in the current workforce HAVE to take part. Note I have not included any smileys here!

Cheers
    Aidan

PS - I have posted this at boards.ie and politics.ie, not spaming, just want to hear how different audiences react!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There isn't really a knowledge based economy, it only encompasses a handful of the workforce.
    And these people have to put up with serious lack of access to broadband along with expensive prices in the last few years.
    The jobs you hear advertised as mainly 'knowledge economy' types are really call centre jobs imho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Well, to paraphrase some jargon, a 'knowledge based economy' is moving employees/businesses 'further up the value chain'. But lets dig beneath the jargon a bit.

In a globalised trading environment, Ireland (country, regions, cities, etc) must trade and compete with other economies. The trading of goods and services is what has driven many countries to higher levels of productivity and quality of life (not all people or countries). Its been like this for millenia really. Trade has just increased over time and will continue to do so most likely.

As Ireland's costs have gradually crept upwards, Ireland and indeed most countries in that situation cant compete on basic manufacturing. (Mind you, I'm sure BMW's could be made in India for a lot less than they are currently made in Munich!). So we have lost on the 'simple stuff' and will continue to do so.

However, skills that are based on knowledge, education, and information, are not in ready supply in many low-cost countries. Thus, Ireland can compete effectively for 'higher value' work, such as the Pharma industry, etc. Businesses that utilise 'knowledge skills' of course need a supply of people at a competive cost to alternatives, but also considering the full life-cycle cost of the business, not only in terms of staff but everything.

The 'knowledge' skills are readily supported by education programmes and 3rd level, so naturally young people are the under-pinning source of any changes to the 'knowledge skillset'. For older people, they can and do work elsewhere in the economy. They have other skills and attributes and its not the case that everyone must become a 'knowledge worker' or they will lose out. Ireland's economy, like all economies, is a mixture of a large range of activities, so there are many opportunities out there for young, old, 'knowledge workers' or not. Indeed, 'knowledge workers' would typically be in the minority in most countries.

Also, no country is in a perfect sitiuation when it comes to its 'attributes', and economies are in a constant state of flux and do make 'mistakes' (eg: booms, busts, slowdowns, recessions, inefficiencies, etc). They are far from efficient and are hard to control and manage. The globe moves along too and Ireland is part of the global system with its good times and ill-winds.

I think that the phrase 'knowledge based economy' is an over-simplified soundbite type of comment. I would take what Minsters say in short snippets such as these with a pinch of salt as they rehash out phrases in a monotonistic fashion ad nauseam.

Redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

By the by, this has been a buzzword around Europe for a few years, but interestingly enough some places call it a knowledge society, which implies a less money focussed reason for learning.

http://dio.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/50/1/51

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Knowledge based economy= Having people doing work that they are well over qualified for. I hate the way government after government try and overstate the fact that because of our highly educated workforce we are a prime location for Multinationals. Low corperation tax and handy grants is the real answer.

Dell, Wyeth & Intel are all lauded about as being the type of jobs that Ireland wants. Well they are for the most part assembly line & call centres with massive staff turnover and profit not staying in the country.

Advertisement