Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional Licence Expired and Have Test Tomorrow

Options
  • 06-04-2008 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Does anyone know if the motor tax office will facilitate me tomorrow. My driving test is tomorrow at 11am, I just realised this morning that my provisional licence expired a month ago. I was wondering if I went to the Motor Tax Office with my photos and form if they could issue me with a licence before the test at 11am. If not will the Tester accept a receipt for the renewed Provisional.

If unable to get help in the Tax Office should I just pretend to be sick, as I heard that if not I will be put right down the bottom of the waiting list to resit my test.

Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Marsha wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the motor tax office will facilitate me tomorrow. My driving test is tomorrow at 11am, I just realised this morning that my provisional licence expired a month ago. I was wondering if I went to the Motor Tax Office with my photos and form if they could issue me with a licence before the test at 11am. If not will the Tester accept a receipt for the renewed Provisional.

If unable to get help in the Tax Office should I just pretend to be sick, as I heard that if not I will be put right down the bottom of the waiting list to resit my test.

Please help.

The driving licence office will issue you with a letter stating that you have applied for a renewal and they will state the driving licence class that you have applied for. I think the test centre will accept this but not certain. Get to the licence office before it opens so you are first in the queue. good luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Marsha

Thanks for the quick reply pixbyjohn.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

...queues can be long in the motor tax office, very long!! Last time I went I was waiting over an hour! So definitley you make it there early, as pixbyjon said, get there before it opens!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 betterdrive.net

Please help.

The testers will not accept anything other than a licence.
    The motor tax office is your only hope.
    They can print a licence immediately if they want to but time is going to be against you.
    If you say your sick and can produce a medical note from your GP then you wont lose your money.
    You will most likely end up athe back of the list though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Does anyone know if the motor tax office will facilitate me tomorrow
    It seems to differ around the country. Most insist on posting it out to you.
    Marsha wrote:
    If not will the Tester accept a receipt for the renewed Provisional
    No - you must present an actual licence.
    Marsha wrote:
    should I just pretend to be sick, as I heard that if not I will be put right down the bottom of the waiting list to resit my test.
    Either way, you will go to the bottom as you have not given 10 days notice. It would be too late now for the spot to be allocated to another person and therefore it will be 'wasted'.

• Advertisement

If you say your sick and can produce a medical note from your GP then you wont lose your money
    A medical certificate from a GP will generally cost a lot more than the test fee (plus time and hassle). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Find out what time the Motor Tax Office opens. (Google it ! - but usually 0930)

Arrive plenty of time with application form already filled, photo's and cash. (And old licence)

Also your letter of appointment for the driving test.

If someone is in the queue before you, explain your predicament and more than likely they will let you through.

Staff will issue you your new licence there and then (10 minutes) and you will still have time for a driving lesson before the test

Goof Luck

J_R wrote: »
    If someone is in the queue before you, explain your predicament and more than likely they will let you through
    Some of the larger MTOs have a reception/information desk. If you approach the staff there first and explain your situation, they may be able to bring it straight to the appropriate staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

OR, you could also telephine them 10 - 15 mins before they open

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Marsha

Just wanted to thank you all for the advise given. I did as you suggested, and the Motor Tax Office was very helpful, I got my licence sorted this morning and made it to my test with time to spare. And can't believe all the hassel was worth it, I PASSED.:):):) Thanks again, and thanks to the helpful people in the tax office too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Congratulations! That must have been one hell of a stressful night/morning!

Congrats Marsha! You were so lucky, there is an old biddy on the desk in my Motor tax office and she will go out of her way to make trouble for you.

Just wanted to thank you all for the advise given. I did as you suggested, and the Motor Tax Office was very helpful, I got my licence sorted this morning and made it to my test with time to spare. And can't believe all the hassel was worth it, I PASSED.:):):) Thanks again, and thanks to the helpful people in the tax office too.
    Congratulations! :D I'm glad it worked out for you - the stress would have killed me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

:)

Congratulations and jubilations, I want the world to know how happy you can be.
    Well done. In reality the civil service is human after all.

Advertisement