Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers Movie Sequel - news within!

Options
  • 06-04-2008 5:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

It looks like things are moving along nicely with the sequel. Bay has an anonymous countdown on his site for summer '09, the giveway being the font.

Prime, Barricade, Ironhide and Ratchet vehicles have been spotted in the US being transported to AZ which means they'll be back.

THe big news however is this link. Contains spoilers, you have been warned!

There is an interview with Bay knocking around the net, where he was interviewed at VES. He didnt give anything specific away but did mention that new species would be introduced. Take out of that what you want!

The downside so far is that there is no mention of Megan Fox returning nor any mention of Soundwave anywhere...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Constructicons?
    Whats their source?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

faceman wrote: »
    nor any mention of Soundwave anywhere...

Poor Soundwave...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Galvasean wrote: »
    Constructicons?
    Whats their source?

It came from Don murphy's site i think.

Soundwave will be in !! I guarantee that .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Soundwave will be in !! I guarantee that .

I knew you were michael bay in disguise all along!! :p

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    I knew you were michael bay in disguise all along!! :p

He will be voiced by Stephen Hawking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

He will be voiced by Stephen Hawking.

And Samuel L Jackson will be providing the voice of Ulta Magnus.

"I can't mutha-Fu@*$in' deal with dat now!!"

And dont forgot Gareth Gates will be voicing HotRod

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

We Want Soundwave

• Registered Users Posts: 82,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

About soundwave...
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Almost from the moment the live action Transformers movie was announced in 2004, producer Don Murphy and the production team made it clear they did not want to feature mass/size shifting in transformation (excluding the Allspark), due to concerns over realism. With this process an inherent part of Soundwave's tape deck alternate mode, there was some discussion over whether or not to change it due to its obsolescence, or to include the character in the film at all. It was announced by Hasbro at SCDD 2004 that movie Soundwave would be a helicopter. [7]

Early leaked movie scripts proposed that his alternate mode would be a helicopter, but animatics shown at the 2005 Comic Con were poorly received. This led to a rethink, with the eventual helicopter character rechristened as Blackout.

2006 script reviews named Soundwave as a spying boombox on Air Force One, able to transform into a small robot, but eventually, this character was amended to being Frenzy, with Don Murphy stating that Soundwave will be reserved for a future sequel, until they can "do him right".

In a USA Today online fan poll, Soundwave was one of the 10 Transformers that the fans wanted in the sequel, winning with 20% of the votes.[4]

When the film was released on DVD a special on-line content from Best Buy showed early animation footage of Blackout as a blue helicopter with a head that resembled Soundwave.

if not for the intial script leak, Blackout would officially have been Soundwave.

PS thanks for the major spoiler :(
    thats the only episode from the 80s cartton i remember

actually wikipedia reveals a lot of potential sequel entries. Most notably, and very likely from the article I read,
    Arcee

• Advertisement

Arcee was due to bein the first film but was taken out of it eventually.

Word on the street (if you believe any of that) is that Soundwave will be in TF2 but will be more like Shockwave in terms of characterisation.
    In any case Bay has stated that he plans to release fake scripts and content to keeppeople guessing so I'd take anything I hear/see with a pinch of salt.

In a recent interview Bay said that he is very happy with the level of tightness this time round so i definitely would take everything with a pinch of salt.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Voice acting on that is pretty good!

Fake scripts? like the last one that turned out to almost be the same as the film fake?

Word on the street (if you believe any of that) is that Soundwave will be in TF2 but will be more like Shockwave in terms of characterisation.
    In any case Bay has stated that he plans to release fake scripts and content to keeppeople guessing so I'd take anything I hear/see with a pinch of salt.

considering the fanbase i wonder how much of that is true. they really dont want to deface soundwave because he is a crowd favorite. Both Frenzy and Blackout were seperate attempts at introducing Soundwave without resorting to Mass Displacement (which i find crap personally; i love the way they kept the physics real). In the end both were re-christened as not to soil Soundwaves good name.

more from wikipedia regarding shockwave:
    According to an interview with producer Tom DeSanto published in issue #15 of the Transformers Collectors Club Magazine the original lineup pitched for the Decepticons in the live action Transformers film was Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Ravage, Laserbeak, Rumble, Skywarp and Shockwave. However, he was left out of the original film as the lineup eventually ended up as Megatron, Starscream, Scorponok, Frenzy (who replaced Soundwave), Barricade, Bonecrusher, Blackout and Brawl.

Also look at the reign of starscream thread: it seems when starscream left earth
    he is out looking for shockwave, at the least

Overheal wrote: »
    Also look at the reign of starscream thread: it seems when starscream left earth
    he is out looking for shockwave, at the least

Well the writers of the comic have stressed that it is an 'unofficial' sequel so anything that happens may not actually be canon with the film sequel. Sort of how in the game tie in
    there is a secret level where Starscream travels back to Cubertron and fights Shockwave as a boss character

Personally, I find Shockwave to be a much more interesting character than Soundwave.

I wouldnt know. But youre right I've been told by the artists on the project its not canon after I asked them what references they had to work off of (sadly, just the DVD :) no top secret 3d computer models that I'd love to get my grubby hands on) but its a fair bet. They kinda shied away from a definitive answer when I showed them the old comic cover; but maybe they just didnt know.

They probably will toss Soundwave in there because theyve sort of introduced the Mass Displacement thing a little bit; both with the Cube and when Frenzy transformed into a cellphone, he lost a lot of mass.

Overheal wrote: »
    They probably will toss Soundwave in there because theyve sort of introduced the Mass Displacement thing a little bit; both with the Cube and when Frenzy transformed into a cellphone, he lost a lot of mass.

Don't know about the Frenzy thing. He was just a head at that point. The way movie TFs transform it doesn't seem all that unlikely.

He was just a head but he still seriously scaled down to fit into the profile of a Motorola Razor or whatever that phone was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭1408

I really think that the 2nd film should have more inclusion from the Decepticons, I felt their portrayl in the first movie was absolutely crap....they deserved a lot more screen time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭1408

Well the writers of the comic have stressed that it is an 'unofficial' sequel so anything that happens may not actually be canon with the film sequel

Actually no, in an interview at the back of the new IDW comic Everybodys Dead (Issue 1 that was out last month) the writer of that states without a doubt that this is an official follow up to the movie. In fact, on the cover of the magazine - from the advertisement at the back of the same comic - it again states that this is an official movie sequel. Im sorry, but I think that is the real deal, whether people like it or not.

And, a quote from Chris Ryall himself
    "The movie left fans with some questions at the end, and we get a chance to answer them here," says Ryall. "We pick up on what happened at the end and reveal the fates of some of the surviving film characters. Take Starscream - we find out where he was headed and what he was doing. We also introduce new characters. In doing so, we bridge the gap between the last movie and the next movie, coming in '09."

In the end of the day if Michael Bay decides to moot the sequel comic, it will suddenly become 'unofficial canon'. While it is certainly official merchandise, it may not actually be officially part of the movie continuity.
    Similarly, have you noticed there are at least 3 'official' movie prequels, all of which contradict each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

read online from ryall that the first draft they sent off was rejected becasue it was too close to the treatment bay was working on at the time so you never know how close this could work out. :)

Advertisement