Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usa Working Visa

Options
  • 06-04-2008 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

hi myself and my girlfriend are thinking of going to America for a year to live and work.. Does any1 know the visa requirements for this type of stay and how easy or hard they are to get?We're both University Graduates. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

OP basically you can enter the green card lottery and try and win that.

or
    A company in the US has to sponsor your application.

Its not as easy as applying for an Oz visa trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Very hard.

You have only 2 options unfortunately. Win the US lottery visa if your lucky. Get a company to sponsor you, unless you are in a highly skilled profession the chances are remote especially with the way the economy is here at the moment. America is in a recession and will be for another year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Stern

I'm also looking for a way to spend a year in the US. However my girlfriend already has a student visa for studying there, and my plan was to go over there for her last year to support her while she's doing her final year (masters).

What sort of options do I have? I may have access to alternative methods of financial backup so I wouldn't necessarily need a paid job, but if I just want to go over to do an internship or a training job with no pay, do I still need a work visa? I know I need -some- sort of visa to be there for more than 3 months, but I was just wondering if there is one that just allows me to stay there without doing anything?

If the two ways you guys mentioned are they only ways to get in,
    1) how do I enter the green card lottery?
    2) would it be likely that a company would sponsor me if I agreed to low pay?

Thanks,

Stern

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Stern wrote: »
    I'm also looking for a way to spend a year in the US. However my girlfriend already has a student visa for studying there, and my plan was to go over there for her last year to support her while she's doing her final year (masters).

What sort of options do I have? I may have access to alternative methods of financial backup so I wouldn't necessarily need a paid job, but if I just want to go over to do an internship or a training job with no pay, do I still need a work visa? I know I need -some- sort of visa to be there for more than 3 months, but I was just wondering if there is one that just allows me to stay there without doing anything?

If the two ways you guys mentioned are they only ways to get in,
    1) how do I enter the green card lottery?
    2) would it be likely that a company would sponsor me if I agreed to low pay?

Thanks,

Stern

you could try a J1 Visa. There is one for work training and internships. I went with a company called intrax but I believe there are two others. From what I have discussed with friends the are they best to go with. What area are you expecting to work? It must be in the area of your study.

Ok I'm planning to work in IT. Where/Who/What do I do to apply/get a J1 Visa? I really don't have a clue there seem to be so many websites out there and all they are advertising is to sign up for them, none of them give information.

Thanks for any info you give me,

Stern

• Advertisement

Actually one of the main things I need to know now (after looking at intrax's website) is how do I find a host company? Do I just randomly apply to IT companies where I want to work or is there a process to go through? Or is there a list somewhere perhaps?

Any help -very- highly appreciated,

Stern

Advertisement