Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLI vs Single card?

Options
  • 06-04-2008 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm only learning bout this stuff as we speak, so I'm wondering about the main advantage of SLI vs Single cards,

My PC config on Komplett I was going for the XFX GeForce 8800GTX 600M 768MB. Would 2 of these in a system make that much difference? Cos it seems like an animal card as it is!

Enlighten poor me!

Thx!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well thats the top of the 8-series right there (afaik) so that would be a really good buy in itself. Ive got the bottom of the 8-series in my laptop and even that runs things pretty slick: once I can comfortably run TF2 on battery at 60fps im sound as a pound.

Adding a 2nd, I cant comment on performance but you have to factor in heat, and lots of it; doesnt do you a world of good for the performance of the machine in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

Stick to the single card, I went down the SLI route and all I got for a slight increase in fps and some aa improvement was a lot of noise and heat! To be honest at the rate graphics cards are improving too it makes little or no sense to utilize SLI, for the initial outlay your two cards will be superseded by a single one in 3 to six months and then you have to try and off load two cards!
    Which I did btw !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

so brettttp1 your saying adding another 8800gt in sli with another 8800gt is pointless?

lol ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

so brettttp1 your saying adding another 8800gt in sli with another 8800gt is pointless?

lol ^^

What I'm saying is sli is a waste of money in bang for buck terms unless you're at insane resolutions and a real frame whore.

I fell for the whole sli marketing ploy and I'm just trying to save someone else from the same mistake. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

2 of them would make a monster....

But dont bother sli with a 8800gtx, power consumption with those is unbelievable..

8800 Ultra = 8800gtx power consumption..

power-load.gif

8800gt are €135 each to add on while 8800gtx are €249 each, 8800gt in sli for €270 can match Nvidia's fastest card 9800gx2...

crysis-high-1680.gif

cod4-1680.gif

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14355/6

Sli is well worth it these days, practicaly essential for 24" plus monitor, unless you get a 9800gx2...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

thanks for the info lads, although i am a tad more confused :p
    I just wanna be able to run games at full resolution on a 24" monitor.

SO i'm thinking Point of View GeForce 8800GTS 512MB, GDDR3, PCI-Express,DVI/Tv-Out x 2.
    how's that looking? :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

At 1920x1200 (resolution of a 24" monitor) sli would be a good choice. Anything smaller and it really isn't worth it. 2 880gts' would be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Ok so!
    Sold! along with this monitor perhaps?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=336729

although I'm still tempted to buy Anti's PC....*drools on his keyboard a little*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Einstein wrote: »
    Ok so!
    Sold! along with this monitor perhaps?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=336729

although I'm still tempted to buy Anti's PC....*drools on his keyboard a little*

I bought that monitor a Christmas mate and its well worth it! Its massive! The only thing about it is, it has no HD out connections or other output/input types, just the standard DVI/VGA connection.

Great Buy though! Its a gorgeous screen, nice and bright to. You'll never want to view games on anything less after you use this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So, do you still have to use 2 identical cards for SLi ?

Marketing bastards, the lot of them.

@Omega: yeah, thats why im not spoiling myself: i want to get as much use out of my 1200x800 and 1280x1024 screens before they Just Arent Enough anymore :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

my 22" needs to be replaced i think :(

only bought it 3 months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i have always been wondering why is that 8800GT outrun 9600GT(less expensive)?since 9600 comes out later than 8800?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

seraphimvc wrote: »
    i have always been wondering why is that 8800GT outrun 9600GT(less expensive)?since 9600 comes out later than 8800?
    The 8800gt is a high-end 8 series card, the 9600 is a mid range 9 series card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

seraphimvc wrote: »

Its meant to be a budget card with good performance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

oh i see now,thanks guys:) more question tho

*slightly hijacking the thread,hope OP wont mind*

what's the differences between lots of different versions of the 8800GT series?

which card(Ati or nVidia,for standard ATx casing,non SLI)would you recommend for playing crysis at a 'satisfying' standard?is there any different that i am still stick with dirextX9?really dont wanna go Vista

didnt touch the 3D card news that much since they have SLI release lol i have my amd x2 6000+ with the 6200LE on it,upgrading soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

ive got an xps710 with a single 8800gtx card very happy with it.
    ive also got a 24' monitor what do you guys reckon my next step should be second 8800gtx?
    9800gx2?
    also if i go sli what card do i go for all i know about my card is its a 768mb model

ive got an xps710 with a single 8800gtx card very happy with it.
    ive also got a 24' monitor what do you guys reckon my next step should be second 8800gtx?
    9800gx2?
    also if i go sli what card do i go for all i know about my card is its a 768mb model
    The 9800gx2 isn't much better (If not worse) than 8800gtx in sli. So go for the second gtx it will work out cheaper and better. I'm pretty sure you can match it with any 8800gtx.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

cheers for the reply.

Advertisement