Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Quality choc

• 06-04-2008 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine gave up choclate for a year and I was looking to buy her some really quality chocolate.

if there was no budget, what would you buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Good quality chocolate isn't too expensive really its the boxes of chocs that have fancy shapes that are. If you go for a darker choc with 70% cocoa you cant go wrong, some brands are nicer than others and it depends how bitter you like the choc. There is a fairtrade dark choc out at the mo with 70% cocoa and its not too dear cheaper than lindt its lovely without being too bitter also great for cooking with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Wait wait! - Is she now back eating chocolate or are you just incredibly mean and are going to buy her a fancy box of chocolates even though she's not eating them?!

In any case, you can never go wrong with a large box of Cadbury's Milk Tray. I also like Terry's All-Gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Kevster wrote: »
    Wait wait! - Is she now back eating chocolate or are you just incredibly mean and are going to buy her a fancy box of chocolates even though she's not eating them?!

In any case, you can never go wrong with a large box of Cadbury's Milk Tray. I also like Terry's All-Gold.

she's going back eating them...

i'm looking for something really top quality handmade jobs

something unusuall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

leonidas i think that's how it's spelt, some quality chocolate there and doesn't really break the bank that much although i don't know where to buy it in dublin, they have a store in bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Chez Emily is a good place to find unusual handmade chocolates.
    The Chez Emily chocolates, which were by far the most varied looking - tiny moulded elephants, solid rounds studded with nuts, delicate shells dusted with cocoa and nameless other wonders - all of the boxes were voted "The Best any of us Had Ever Tasted". They all looked gorgeous like the picture book chocolates you see princesses scoffing in fary tales. And each one tasted amazingly good and different yet not to sweet. Irish Times.

http://www.chezemily.ie

:)

Chocolate in Ireland

http://www.localbusinesspages.ie/category.asp?category=Chocolate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kevster wrote: »
    In any case, you can never go wrong with a large box of Cadbury's Milk Tray.
    I think dairy milk is OK, but AFAIK in some countries cadburys cannot legally be called chocolate.

Leonidas is a good bet, I would get the box made up in shop though, the prepackaged ones come with some "duds", just like any prepacked chocolates I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I love cadburys but i find each one can taste the same because they are so close together in the box. Dairy box is ok. Thorntons are nice. Do ut green and blacks do boxes of chocs? Or you could make your own ebay have some cute choccy molds and you can get the boxes too melting good quality chocs into them and hey presto.

Must say its not really posh but ferrero roche are lovely. Theres another one oh I think it was a marks and spencers box cant think of the name but its a yellowey box they are not cheap cheap but reasonable and flippin lovely.

Oh and if all else fails bring her a giant jar of Nutella and make toast nothing beats hot toast with melty nutella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Oh and if all else fails bring her a giant jar of Nutella and make toast nothing beats hot toast with melty nutella.

Or if you have no toast a spoon will do! (I wouldn't reccommend eating the whole jar though, my friend did recently and didn't sleep for two days!)

I like Callebaut chocolate but I think it's more suited to cooking/baking.

Cocoa Bean also do really unusual chocolates. They have a website www.cocoabeanchocolates.com

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

the Thorntons Continental selection box is fooking lush

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

I bought herself some Lily O Briens chocs and she said dey was lovely

I may or may not have tried some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mrs. D'arcy

cozmik wrote: »
    Chez Emily is a good place to find unusual handmade chocolates.

http://www.chezemily.ie

:)

Chocolate in Ireland

http://www.localbusinesspages.ie/category.asp?category=Chocolate

If you live anywhere near ashbourne you should take her to the Chez Emily shop, get their hot chocolate and let her pick the sweets she wants...divine. Not sure if they have shops anywhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ladyA

Depends on her taste, I suppose if she has a taste for sugary chocolate then cadburys might do.
    If you want the good stuff go for something more like Valrhona or Amedei. Fallon & Byrne have a good selection of high quality chocolates - skellig chocolates and cocoa bean (both irish companies) are quite lovely.
    Green and Blacks is okay - its chocolate isn't particularly flavoursome though.
    Alot of the chocolates that market themself as 'quality' chocolates are quite poor - leonidas, lily o'briens, thorntons etc - you'll find plenty of additives on their boxes. Chez Emily do have a nice selection indeed.
    Hope she enjoys her re-introduction to chocolate - so try and start her off on the good stuff - once you hit the dark quality stuff there's no going back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

armour87 wrote:
    I bought herself some Lily O Briens chocs and she said dey was lovely

I may or may not have tried some

:D
    ... ...nice disclaimer in small print there. Here, let me enlarge it for you:

"I may or may not have tried some"

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Groe

You cant beat a galaxy caramel!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ntlbell wrote: »
    A friend of mine gave up choclate for a year and I was looking to buy her some really quality chocolate.

if there was no budget, what would you buy?

Without a doubt i would have to reccommend a box of quality chocolates from www.lircafe.com ... haven tried them repeatedly (for research purposes of course) i have found none other as good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Godiva Chocolate (http://www.godiva.com/welcome.aspx) ...is the dogs danglees :D

...Well worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

As mentioned further back, lionidos ( Cant remember how to spell ) but I use to always treat my self to 1 of their finest once a week when they used to have a store in blanchardstown SC. Don't know where any of them are now, but they are around - Savage stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

lindt (lindor)

Advertisement