Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Congratulations Stephen McPhail.....

• 06-04-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

....on captaining a team into the FA Cup Final. Played quite well again today and I can't see any reason why he couldn't be considered for a recall to the international fold.

Great win for Cardiff in what was a good game. Cardiff is a real graveyard for Prem players with Peter Enckleman, Michael Oakes, Ricardo Scimeca, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Peter Whittingham, Joe Ledley, Trevor Sinclair and McPhail all in the squad, not to mention former Rangers players Steven Thompson and Gavin Rae. Here's hoping they can beat Pompey.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

come on Cardiff!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He should be given a call - leading your side out in the FA Cup final is not mean achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sad to see Barnsley go out after beating Chelsea and Liverpool, but congrats Cardiff. Should be a decent enough final now.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Really wanted Barnsley to win. Pompey will have an extra supporter on Cup Final day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Xavi6 wrote: »
    ....on captaining a team into the FA Cup Final. Played quite well again today and I can't see any reason why he couldn't be considered for a recall to the international fold.

Great win for Cardiff in what was a good game. Cardiff is a real graveyard for Prem players with Peter Enckleman, Michael Oakes, Ricardo Scimeca, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Peter Whittingham, Joe Ledley, Trevor Sinclair and McPhail all in the squad, not to mention former Rangers players Steven Thompson and Gavin Rae. Here's hoping they can beat Pompey.

Fowler is due back in time for the final too AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Was reading about Dave Jones managment of resources. 1 million spent, 13 million raised through sales. The club is up to its oxters in debt for at least another 7/8 years when its current loan has to be repayed. he'll be signing Bosmans for years to come.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I would have thought with players like Jimmy and Fowler there wage bill would be high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I was hoping Barnsley for two reasons, firstly they are the real heroes of this FA cup and deserve a final spot in my opinion, secondly, a pompey v Cardiff final fills me with dread.

Cardiff and pompey both have more than their fair share of nutters, the great atmosphere I experienced Saturday may be different for the final.

besides, I think the Welsh have won enough this year already:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

As a Barnsley supporter no complaints and best of luck to Cardiff. They upped their game in the second half and were able to limit Barnsleys options. The chance came to equalise and I thought Odejayi had put it away but thems the breaks. Pity as I think they could have gone all the way....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

How is Mcphail playing these days? any good? something for GioTrap to have a think over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

How is Mcphail playing these days? any good? something for GioTrap to have a think over?

I've seen/read bits and pieces throughout the year and he seems to be doing quite well. I really can't see any reason why he couldn't be included in a squad for a friendly at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

He really improved at Forest, he added alot of defensive play to his game that was really missing and made him a liability in the eyes of most coaches.

I think he deserves another shot at the EPL, that said, his passing and control is probably better than Reid, its a shame there is no longer a place in lower teams for that kind of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

+1 :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Wearing my Cardiff shirt with Fowler on the back with pride today. Id give my left nut for a ticket for the game, anyone want to help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I've a spare left nut if you want to give that instead :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Just hope should they win he gets to play in Europe

Melion wrote: »
    Wearing my Cardiff shirt with Fowler on the back with pride today.

I ended up out watchign the game without notice so didnt have my Jersey with me. Hopefully Robbie will be fit and picked for the final. I'll most likeyl be the only one in the pub with a Cardiff jersey on though.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Trilla wrote: »

Just turned on Sky Sports News.

It said on there UEFA are willing to offer them a wildcard spot for the UEFA Cup if they were to win the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

SantryRed wrote: »
    Just turned on Sky Sports News.

It said on there UEFA are willing to offer them a wildcard spot for the UEFA Cup if they were to win the cup.

Do the fa cup winners not qualify for the uefa anyway? Always thought they did since they did away with the cup winners cup.

JimiTime wrote: »
    Do the fa cup winners not qualify for the uefa anyway? Always thought they did since they did away with the cup winners cup.

Not when they arent from England they dont.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Trilla wrote: »

For 2 games :confused:

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    For 2 games :confused:

kdjac

Unless they draw Pats.:D

Stekelly wrote: »
    Unless they draw Pats.:D

Cant get us unless we win 4 :D

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seeduc2007.html

Last years seeded teams for round 1 halfway down that page, cardiff would be unseeded well should be. Wonder if they get englands coefficent or Wales :confused: Or if they go in at 1st qual round. Tbh if pats got them i would fancy us to beat them.

Ireland 35th, Wales 47th, england no 2 seeded.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I can't see any reason why he couldn't be considered for a recall to the international fold.

He's English.:cool:

(Yes I know he's played for Ireland before, bla bla bla).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Its really irritating how much emphasis people will place on national pride when its an Irish man abroad, while having absolutely none towards our own league. This isn't a support your local club rant as such but the hypocricy of suddenly caring about players playing at a British/Welsh second tier club like Cardiff is laughable.

Cant get us unless we win 4 :D

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seeduc2007.html

Last years seeded teams for round 1 halfway down that page, cardiff would be unseeded well should be. Wonder if they get englands coefficent or Wales :confused: Or if they go in at 1st qual round. Tbh if pats got them i would fancy us to beat them.

Ireland 35th, Wales 47th, england no 2 seeded.

kdjac

From what I understand they wont get either co-eff seeing as they will be a UEFA wild card (presumably the same as Liverpool in 05) and would have no seeding and start at the 1st qualifying round with no country protection.

Or I could be completely wrong.:D

From what I understand they wont get either co-eff seeing as they will be a UEFA wild card (presumably the same as Liverpool in 05) and would have no seeding and start at the 1st qualifying round with no country protection.

Or I could be completely wrong.:D

The 1st qual is regionalised , the top of the page shows who plays ie pats can only get a few countires (also shows ****ing unlucky we were being the highest unseeded team and getting the top seed :( ) If its a wild card they would have to be seeded or unseeded. Pool got TNS so assume they were seeded?

DSB more chance of a 2nd tier english player playing for ireland hence interest and tbh Mc Phail when on form is a cracking player.

kdjac

DSB more chance of a 2nd tier english player playing for ireland hence interest and tbh Mc Phail when on form is a cracking player.

kdjac

More chance of a Blue Square Conference Irish player (really probably English) playing for Ireland in all fairness.:rolleyes:

More chance of a Blue Square Conference Irish player (really probably English) playing for Ireland in all fairness.:rolleyes:

So? if they good enough they good enough.

Mc Phail has actually lived in ireland and played for an irish side, hes more irish than half the present squad.

Under kdjacls international egilbilty rules he fully meets the criteria (must have played schoolboy in the country he plays for). :P

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

He's English.:cool:

No he isn't.

He was born in London to two Irish parents who moved back to Dublin and raised him there.

I'm pretty sure you Irish folk voted to ensure that being born in Ireland doesn't make you Irish, thus I'm pretty sure you can't go claiming McPhail is English by the same standard, especially seeing as he has always claimed he was Irish.

Not when they arent from England they dont.

What? thats ludicrous. If they are playing in the English competition, surely they're considered 'from the English league' in the eyes of UEFA.

What? thats ludicrous. If they are playing in the English competition, surely they're considered 'from the English league' in the eyes of UEFA.

English FA can only put forward english clubs for euro football. This been done to death but cardiff knew forever they could never get into euro whilst playing in english football.

kdjac

English FA can only put forward english clubs for euro football. This been done to death but cardiff knew forever they could never get into euro whilst playing in english football.

kdjac

Yeah but they also knew they were never going to win the FA cup.:D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What confuses me about Cardiff's eligibility is that when the LoW was being set up I seem to remember Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham (and maybe Newport too at that time) choosing to stay playing in the English league rather than move to the Welsh one. I would have thought that that decision would have meant that they were no longer eligible for European entry through Welsh competitions but would be allowed through English ones as they had effectively become "English" clubs, in much the same way that Derry is "Irish" rather than Northern Irish.

Either way it'll all be irrelevent when Portsmouth beat them. :D Much and all as I liked McPhail when he was at Leeds, I really don't think I could stand Ridsdale grinning smugly if Cardiff won the FA Cup.

Zaph wrote: »

Either way it'll all be irrelevent when Portsmouth beat them. :D Much and all as I liked McPhail when he was at Leeds, I really don't think I could stand Ridsdale grinning smugly if Cardiff won the FA Cup.

i agree with that but would like to beat them in UEFA i really dont want to go too far away and wales would be a nice short trip, i dislike both him and Jones.

oddly i would **** myself at thoughts of playing portsmouth :o

kdjac

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    What confuses me about Cardiff's eligibility is that when the LoW was being set up I seem to remember Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham (and maybe Newport too at that time) choosing to stay playing in the English league rather than move to the Welsh one. I would have thought that that decision would have meant that they were no longer eligible for European entry through Welsh competitions but would be allowed through English ones as they had effectively become "English" clubs, in much the same way that Derry is "Irish" rather than Northern Irish.

The derry Comparison is spot on. It'd be a great injustice for Cardiff if they win the thing and don't get european football IMO. Mental:confused:

The derry Comparison is spot on. It'd be a great injustice for Cardiff if they win the thing and don't get european football IMO. Mental:confused:

god sorry but this has been done to death. Derry are no comparision (feckers ****ting all over us atm) they represent the FAI not the IFA, they have nothing whatsoever to do with the IFA so can never represent Norn iron. they also made that choice but in a way it was made for them "political reasons".

So derry and cardiff no comparision.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

DSB more chance of a 2nd tier english player playing for ireland hence interest

Personally I think thats a ridiculous and fickle attitude to have but sure how and ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

god sorry but this has been done to death. Derry are no comparision (feckers ****ting all over us atm) they represent the FAI not the IFA, they have nothing whatsoever to do with the IFA so can never represent Norn iron. they also made that choice but in a way it was made for them "political reasons".

So derry and cardiff no comparision.

Are cardiff not a member of the FA? I thought only members of the fa participated in the fa cup.

I can only assume they are not members of the fa if the comparison to Derry doesn't hold.

PSI wrote: »
    No he isn't.

He was born in London to two Irish parents who moved back to Dublin and raised him there.

I'm pretty sure you Irish folk voted to ensure that being born in Ireland doesn't make you Irish, thus I'm pretty sure you can't go claiming McPhail is English by the same standard, especially seeing as he has always claimed he was Irish.

I was joking. The chill pill is in the post PSI.:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement