Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some bits and bobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

And finally for today we have a WW2 British Fire gaurd armband

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Excellent! So, when is the museum opening? :pac:

I don't know,maybe when I get a bigger attic:p,theres more to come CB,will keep ya posted

Got this one during the week,Its a WW2 dated British binoculars dated 1944,I was working out on the coast with the last few days and used these out there,even though there not very strong they make up for it with the clarity,excellent for something now over sixty years old

Heres the the next addition to my pattern 37 webbing which I'm hopeing to be able to put up a full display with,one set of gaitors and one holster,both of these have been blancoed and have that war time used look,theres more on the way which hasn't arrived yet

• Advertisement

Up next a set of five unopened Bren gun magazines and a WW2 dated German MG13 magazine dated 1938

This one landed today,this is a WW2 R.A.D Lantern,this I was told came off the Channel Islands,how true that is I don't know,a nice unusual item,not sure what the spare handle type thing is

Some nice additions Arnhem!

I have a pair of bino's on there way to me (at least I hope they are!) from the UK. They're WW1 vintage, the case is dated 1916, they appear to be in pretty good nick, an impulse buy off e-bay, grand total of €33 (hope it was worth it! :pac:). Mind me asking how much yours set you back?

You're bino's appear to be RAF, A.M = Air Ministry. I have a pattern '37 hard shell canvas binocular case marked 'MEC Co 1941 ^', in great nick, but unfortunately lacking its important component, the binoculars! :rolleyes:

Binoculars are great, you get a decent pair and they are something that you can still put to good use, there isnt many things in militaria collecting that you can still put to effective, original use!

I would have to agree,as I said I used them the day I got them and the quality was excellent,I did buy them as RAF but from the photo you couldn't tell before I bought them,I paid 25 sterling,I know thats a bit much and I could of got them alot cheaper on the likes of ebay but I was buying all or most of the recent items listed up lately from a dealer in England and she leaves me pay as much and as often as I like so I don't mind paying that little bit more when its spread out,I hope they turn out to be a good pair you got,definately something worth while picking up,I was like you yesterday with impulse buying,I picked up a 1949 pattern British sailors uniform,I don't think I'll ever learn:)

Heres a couple of mapcases that I picked up at Salut.

The first is a British case in the p'37 style and dated '1944', made by 'Blackman'. It has too snap fitting to secure the front flap, behind which is space to store pencils, pens etc (I believe they were grease pens to write on the clear plastic). The backing board is rigid and made of some type of compressed composite it seems. I'm image this case was only for very short op's, or maybe issued to NCO's as it only allows for one map to be fitted under the clear screen. Unlike other map cases there is no room for holding other maps, documents etc.

The second case, more of a dispatch case is German, made from leather and probably post war, although I cant imagine it been made too long after the war. Has two pockets for holding documents, maps etc and the slots behind the front flap for pens, instruments etc.

cases1.jpg

cases2.jpg

• Advertisement

Added these ones over the past a few weeks,a German kugel and disc grenade from WW1 and a British 20mm shell case used by the Irish

Now got this one the other day when I went into the jewelery shop to get a medal fixed,I struck up a conversation with the man who owns the shop about medals and he happened to have some in the shop that were given to him by a friend which he showed me,he then came out with this and told me I could take it away with as he no longer wanted it,its a pointer/swagger stick given to a member of the USN inscribed To Oto San from the boys,it also has some silver rings which are also engraved.sadly some of the rings I think are missing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Now got this one the other day when I went into the jewelery shop to get a medal fixed,I struck up a conversation with the man who owns the shop about medals and he happened to have some in the shop that were given to him by a friend which he showed me,he then came out with this and told me I could take it away with as he no longer wanted it,its a pointer/swagger stick given to a member of the USN inscribed To Oto San from the boys,it also has some silver rings which are also engraved.sadly some of the rings I think are missing

Excellent find ! Congrats.

Morlar wrote: »
    Excellent find ! Congrats.
    Thanks Morlar,it also has its cloth/felt carrying bag,theres a twist to this tale which I decided not to show,this bag has a name of a priest in America who was also in the Navy but after some research it turns out if its the same person that he was found guilty of misconduct in his later years so I decided to leave it out for that reason

Finally got around to picking up this,a canvas bag which I belive is for the British Avon gas mask dated 1941,should go nicely with the gas mask picked up a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Bought a Gebirgsjäger Rucksack a while ago (not WW2 but very similar) from this German Army Surplus store.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient-menuext&hl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.natocorner.info%2Frucksaecke%2Fseitenrucksack%2Frucksacktoliv.htm

They offer Original and Replica. I opted for the original (2nd hand) one and its a damn good rucksack :)
    It arrived within a week and is in great condition. They're very well made, 42Liter capacity, and pretty waterproof for a canvas bag. I would highly recommend, well worth a look anyways !

this I also picked up in the army surplus store,a Nato ammo box,the store in Middleton has a good selection of camo and webbing but sadly its all modern stuff these days,I did go to another store mainly selling bits of everything,furniture and so on and he had some Belgian and French battledress and camo also and was willing to discount the price for a sale

this I also picked up in the army surplus store,a Nato ammo box,

sweet boxes those, I got 2 of them in dublin for the back of the vespa ;)

Army Vespa 1
    Army Vespa 2
    Army Vespa 3
    Army Vespa 4
    Army Vespa 5 with Russian Decals and Chinese Helmet
    Army Vespa 6
    Army Vespa 7 with American Decals

that looks the business Marcsignal:),those boxs have great uses and I'm sorry now I didn't pick up another couple,so are those permanently fixed on then or can they be taken off?
    marcsignal wrote: »
    sweet boxes those, I got 2 of them in dublin for the back of the vespa ;)

Army Vespa 1
    Army Vespa 2
    Army Vespa 3
    Army Vespa 4
    Army Vespa 5 with Russian Decals and Chinese Helmet
    Army Vespa 6
    Army Vespa 7 with American Decals

that looks the business Marcsignal:),those boxs have great uses and I'm sorry now I didn't pick up another couple,so are those permanently fixed on then or can they be taken off?

thanks arnhem44, it's an old vespa a mate gave me because he'd tumbled it a few times, so i rebuilt it when i was in college as a project (original pic). Has a nice old fashoned claxon horn too :D. The boxes are permanently fixed on so i keep tools and spare cables in em etc. I got em in Army bargains on capel street for about 10Euro each. Theyre great for anything you want to keep watertight

• Advertisement

A bit of a mechanic/restorer there,if your ever down this way you can give me a hand with a couple of mini's I have,lol;),one of those girls will have to go me thinks.10 euro is what I paid for the box as well,I might pop back there sometime soon and have a proper rumage,plenty time on my hands these days:(

Some other bits and pieces

SS Runes (Repro)
    dscn4908t.th.jpg

SS Deaths Head
    dscn4907.th.jpg

Number Under Helmet Rim
    dscn4906.th.jpg

Helmet (Badly repainted Black, with Decals on the wrong sides)
    dscn4905.th.jpg

As Above
    dscn4904.th.jpg

Bayonet
    dscn4898.th.jpg

Bayonet Markings
    dscn4902.th.jpg

Bayonet Markings
    dscn4901.th.jpg

Can anyone identify this ?? I haven't a clue what is is.
    dscn4909.th.jpg

Some nice bits marcsignal,the helmet could make a nice restoration if you decided to go down that route,the badge I'm totally lost on,just wondering if it was something to do with stormtroopers after WW1 or maybe some Post WW1 veterans badge:confused:

thanks Arnhem :)

I think I might go the restoration route for the helmet alright. How do i go about getting a liner for it ? How do you measure it to get a correct fit ?
    I've seen liners on ebay and was thinking of getting one. I'd also be looking for new decals, Wehrmacht or SS, it makes no difference to me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Nice pick ups marcsignal,

I especially like the bayonet, the wooden handle versions are much better looking than the bakelite examples. What year is on the blade and do the numbers on the scabbard match the bayo?

The badge looks like a cheaply produced recent fantasy piece based on the Wehrmacht veterans cap badge but with the swastika replaced with the letters 2S. Why or what for , I have no idea. I have never seen any German war-time badges using a clutch-pin system such as this.

Here's a picture of the badge it is based on.
    http://www.therupturedduck.com/WebPages/Misc/s525.htm

- Dan

danpatjoe wrote: »

Here's a picture of the badge it is based on.
    http://www.therupturedduck.com/WebPages/Misc/s525.htm

- Dan

thanks danpatjoe, i reckon you've got it bang on with that link:), it looks so similar.

no other numbers on the bayo or scabbard except the one below,on the top of the handle, tbh i'm unsure of its origin.

dscn4911n.th.jpg

I have some other stuff up the attic in boxes, i'll have to dig em out and post some more stuff up

Hey marcsiganl,you have the size of the helmet posted up already,a Quist made helmet size 66,ebay would be a good place to start for a liner however I'm sure there are dealers out there selling these,buying a liner sometimes won't be cheap especially on auction sites where people are all after that one thing to complete there helmet,it might be worth browsing around before you commit and make sure that it is a liner for your particular helmet as there is a lot of liners for sale that look similar to the german ones especially post war.

just found this
    Unlike the one-size-fits-all US helmet, German WWII helmets (M35, M40 and M42) come in sizes. Seven of them. The liners DO NOT adjust. This is a source of endless confusion and consternation to re-enactors today. The German sizing system is actually rather simple and very logical. First, there is the shell size of the steel pot. That is the circumference in centimeters of the inside of the shell. They come in even sizes, 60, 62, 64, 66, 68, 70 or 72. (Sizes 60, 70 and 72 are exceedingly rare.) The liners have an outer band size and an inner band size. The outer band size corresponds to the size of the helmet shell. The inner band size is the "head size". They come in sizes 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, and 63. Again, sizes 53, 62, and 63 are rarely seen. Each outerband size can accommodate 3 different inner band sizes. Thus, a WWII size 66 outer band can have a 57, 58 or a 59 inner band.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

...no other numbers on the bayo or scabbard except the one below,on the top of the handle, tbh i'm unsure of its origin....

Those markings are the Waffenampt (acceptance) stamps, in the Third Reich style.
    Did you check the spine of the blade for a date?...

date.th.jpg
    ...I have some other stuff up the attic in boxes, i'll have to dig em out and post some more stuff up....

Get up there and show us what you have!!! :)

Picked this up lately,a military bugle,its unmarked and I would think not very old but makes a nice display piece,it carries the Royal Artillery badge on the front but this is in poor enough condition.

033.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Picked this up lately,a military bugle,its unmarked and I would think not very old but makes a nice display piece,it carries the Royal Artillery badge on the front but this is in poor enough condition.

i think the badge might be added on to a newer bugle. i remember bugles being sold in dublin , very similar to this one, around 15 years ago or more . i think they were from belguim.

Advertisement