Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Zoning

Options
  • 06-04-2008 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

I have to replace the boiler in my fairly old house. It wasnt serviced in 10ish years, anywho, I was interested in a zoning system. The house comprises of a sitting room, dining room and kitchen downstairs, and upstairs two rooms and a bathroom.

Im only interested in basic zoning. Three zones, upstairs, downstairs and hot water. Upstairs in morning, downstairs in evening, etc.

The question I have is that the current plumbing system is a fairly old one. The hot water tank is upstairs in the main bedroom, the boiler is in the utilitly room and the vaulve to turn off the hot water is in the sitting room. (The pipes are external and boxed off). Can I zome this type of older gravity fed system?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,157 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This is probably better off in the DIY forum.

Moved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

oxygen wrote: »
    I have to replace the boiler in my fairly old house. It wasnt serviced in 10ish years, anywho, I was interested in a zoning system. The house comprises of a sitting room, dining room and kitchen downstairs, and upstairs two rooms and a bathroom.

Im only interested in basic zoning. Three zones, upstairs, downstairs and hot water. Upstairs in morning, downstairs in evening, etc.

The question I have is that the current plumbing system is a fairly old one. The hot water tank is upstairs in the main bedroom, the boiler is in the utilitly room and the vaulve to turn off the hot water is in the sitting room. (The pipes are external and boxed off). Can I zome this type of older gravity fed system?

The answer is yes: easily enough done if piping is all accessible and is copper rather than gun-barrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

sweet, thx irocha. Ill get in touch with a plumber so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

My house (2 storey) was not designed for zoning. The hot water comes out of the boiler and into a tee, one outlet of the tee goes upstairs and the other downstrairs. The upstairs then goes into another tee, one outlet being the radiators and the other being the hot water cylinder. So it would not be that easy to put in three zones without some major plumbing changes.

So chances are your house is plumbed in a similar manner. Worst case you'll have to blank the existing supply to your hot water cylinder, and run a separate one from your boiler. That way you can have all your zone valves near the boiler outlet.

You could achieve a two zone system by installing a 3 way valve, one zone would be downstrairs and the other upstairs and hot water. Not ideal, granted, but could be the cheapest option.

Advertisement