Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What plant am I?

Options
  • 06-04-2008 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Eavening all.

We planted this gift 3 years back and have no idea what it is, and hoped some one here may be able to help.

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/apip99/?action=view&current=DSCF1588.jpg

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/apip99/?action=view&current=DSCF1587.jpg

You'll see in the second picture that it is just about to come out in flower. It opens up from the tight ball, to a stunning large white flower. There was only one flower the 1st year, then 2 last year, and then 3 this.

And if any one does know it, I need some advice as it needs to be moved, due to a garden redesign, the ground that it is in at the moment is to be raised by about a foot and half. But we don't want to lose it as its one of our favorites.

Thanks,

Pip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I have seen these plants before, but I have no idea what it's called. I would suggest that you bring those pictures and maybe a flower from the plant, to your local garden centre. They might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Looks like a Herbaceous Paeony.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

They are gorgeous paeonies I have one in pink and the red ones are more stunning. I've been trying to get a red one for ages with no luck.:(

They do hate to be moved... I will find out more about them for you and post it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

artieanna wrote: »
    They do hate to be moved... I will find out more about them for you and post it....

Not always the case. I have moved several and they performed well afterwards. I heard " Beautiful" Bob Flowerdew mention someone who moved an entire Paeony nursery, and not only did they move successfully, they flowered the next year. As long as they are not planted too deeply they should be OK.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

It can be moved now, they do not like to be moved but they can be (I have moved mine twice, it set them back a bit, they are fine though)

Try not to damage the roots when lifting/moving. Add compost to enrich soil, Plant crowns no lower than 1 inch below soil. Plant in full sun.

General rules for care of Paeonies= Mulch in spring, stake stems, water in dry weather, deadhead faded blooms, feed with a general fertilizer in late summer and cut down stems to ground level in autumn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement