Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Law: UCC or Trinity?

• 06-04-2008 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

Okay, I'm currently thinking of doing law in UCC, mainly because I live 5 minutes away, but I was wondering, would the Trinity law degree be worth moving to Dublin for? It is an extra year, and from what I've seen it looks like a better course, but would it be worth moving for?

Any opinions are very much appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

Certainly not worth moving for I would say. By the end of your law degree you might want to do anything but law which is not an uncommon experience and having it wrapped in a year less migh be a God-send. If it turns out that law reallys lights your fire after all you can always do a post-grad somewhere else anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Alot of people would argue that college life is all about getting away and living on your own etc (well with flatmates...)
    Course you'll save on accomodation so up to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Jannah

Rosita wrote: »
    Certainly not worth moving for I would say. By the end of your law degree you might want to do anything but law which is not an uncommon experience and having it wrapped in a year less migh be a God-send. If it turns out that law reallys lights your fire after all you can always do a post-grad somewhere else anyway.

Yeah, thats actually a really good point... it would be very lonely and BIG and SCAREY in Dublin... and it DOES give an extra year to do a post-grad... thank you very much!! Lol, my mom will be happy :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Law in UCC is very good too, whilst Trinity has perhaps a few lecturers with better reputations, many of these are practising barristers and I once heard that they spend weeks out of the classroom during big cases

Yeah, that might be another reason alright- its just the whole thing that it 'looks better' to have a Trinity law degree (baah, I know its snobby, but its for possible employers, not for 'oooh I got to Trinners, gawsh!') you know? But I did work experience in the UCC law department and it did seem brilliant too

• Advertisement

TBH I don't think that would make much of a difference, employers will be much more concerned about your academic marks and extra-curricular activities than whether or not you went to UCC or Trinity

These extra curricular activities may be more readily available to you living at home as you won't have the hassle of coming home at weekends etc

The only reason I'd chose Trinity over UCC is for the craic of living away from home, not for Trinity having a better reputation

The idea of it being a year shorter would appeal to me too, as it means you will have a degree a year younger

Jannah wrote: »
    Yeah, that might be another reason alright- its just the whole thing that it 'looks better' to have a Trinity law degree (baah, I know its snobby, but its for possible employers, not for 'oooh I got to Trinners, gawsh!') you know? But I did work experience in the UCC law department and it did seem brilliant too

I wasn't aware of this 'one looks better' to be honest and doubt if any such distinction is grounded in reality. I should say I attended neither so I make that observation without prejudice to either place.

I would say individual performance of the student is far more significant than the particular institution though students seem to be terribly concerned about how things look with regard to institution attended.

While I know you'll always have the guy who just knows it matters and that its all about what happens when you are being interviewed by 'old boys' from a certain college and but I would say most employers are far too smart and ruthless to get sucked into the school scarf style of recruiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Currently doing Law in UCC...live five minutes away also. I'd highly recommend the course, first year's been fantastic.. living at home, not so much..gonna move out next year. If you're only moving away for the sake of it, which i can understand, just move out in cork! i know its kind of unjustifiable as regards finance, but totally worth it to learn independent living. big thumbs up for the course here anyway...the lecturers are top-class and very friendly, atmosphere is brilliant, social stuff obviously fabulous..no complaints..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

College is about getting away from home and standing on your own feet. In my case 5 years after the leaving cert now - still loving it. Best move ever!!!

But really, is getting away from home really that great?! I'm not exactly into the "par-tay" scene, non drinker, so wouldn't college be just as enjoyable with someone to make my dinners and pay my bills for me?!

• Advertisement

But really, is getting away from home really that great?! I'm not exactly into the "par-tay" scene, non drinker, so wouldn't college be just as enjoyable with someone to make my dinners and pay my bills for me?!

and someone to wake you up in the mornings -even if u have no lectures... live your own life! i remember back in first year, there was this chap who was out one thursday night - he was actually made get up by his folks the next morning and go to college. the chap got sick at around half 11 in the morning - during a lecture. I know this won't necessarily apply to you - but nontheless - you do what ever you want out on your own... go for it! ;)

DamoDLK wrote: »
    College is about getting away from home and standing on your own feet. In my case 5 years after the leaving cert now - still loving it. Best move ever!!!
    I second that,

College is all about getting out on your own, not doing what you've been doing your whole life, no matter how easy going or whatever your parents might be your still living under their roof.

I live away from home and I do love getting home for the food and getting all my washing done

But if I had the choice i'd choose to go away 9 times out of 10, but you can always move out in Cork after 1st or 2nd year

1huge1 wrote: »
    I second that,

College is all about getting out on your own, not doing what you've been doing your whole life, no matter how easy going or whatever your parents might be your still living under their roof.

Thats true...! But there's always The Fear, d'ya know? The fear that one would get stuck into a house full of head wreakers and absolutely hate life there and be terribly homesick and completely domestically inept! Lol, people mentioned getting woken up by parents as a reason to move out- I get up at about 6, earlier during the summer so possibly won't be an issue!!:p

Thats true...! But there's always The Fear, d'ya know? The fear that one would get stuck into a house full of head wreakers and absolutely hate life there and be terribly homesick and completely domestically inept! Lol, people mentioned getting woken up by parents as a reason to move out- I get up at about 6, earlier during the summer so possibly won't be an issue!!:p

Well you wont know this until you give it a try - if u continue to live your life to the 'what if's' you'll never really live your own life. I promise you if u hate it you can come on here in a years time or so and give out! What in the hell are u getting up at six for? - are you Bill Cullen?:confused:

Lol!! If I hate it, I'll sue this site using by big mad law degree!! :p Wake up at 6 for Fajr prayers, obligitory in Islam, but that doesn't make it any easier to wake up!! As a lovely fellow in my year once said "Six??? Six??? Jaysus Christ, if ye dudes don't get into heaven, there's no hope for the rest of us!!" lol!! *googles the mysterious Bill Cullen* AHHAHA! With a wallet like his, I wouldn't mind being Bill Cullen!!
    By the looks of it, a lot of guys wouldn't mind being Bill Cullen either! :P
    http://www.womensirishnetwork.com/images/WIN_01sml.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

I think it's ridiculous that you even have to ask the question as is. You should have said, "Will I move out for the year?"

The thing as it stands strikes me of snobbery but maybe I am taking it up wrong. Go with what makes the most sense and which ever you would feel happiest with. In my case that would be UCC (actually IS UCC though I'm doing Arts, not Law).

Best of luck with whatever choice you make!

Fabio wrote: »
    I think it's ridiculous that you even have to ask the question as is. You should have said, "Will I move out for the year?"

The thing as it stands strikes me of snobbery but maybe I am taking it up wrong.

In what way is it a ridiculous question? I think its a perfectly logical question to ask others which college they think would be most beneficial. It would be retarded for me to ask "will I move out for the year" because if I was to move away it would be for 4 years and not one. It is by no means snobbery to wonder if a 4 year course in Trinity would be more beneficial and looked upon better (because lets face it, Trinity is seen as prestigious whether we like to admit it or not) than a 3 year course in UCC (which is a really brilliant college and probably what I will choose, yet isn't as recognisable as Trinity would be)

In what way is it a ridiculous question? I think its a perfectly logical question to ask others which college they think would be most beneficial. It would be retarded for me to ask "will I move out for the year" because if I was to move away it would be for 4 years and not one. It is by no means snobbery to wonder if a 4 year course in Trinity would be more beneficial and looked upon better (because lets face it, Trinity is seen as prestigious whether we like to admit it or not) than a 3 year course in UCC (which is a really brilliant college and probably what I will choose, yet isn't as recognisable as Trinity would be)
    In law I really can't see you not getting a job just because you went to UCC and not Trinity, dont think it makes any difference whatsoever

In law I really can't see you not getting a job just because you went to UCC and not Trinity, dont think it makes any difference whatsoever

Yeah, I know its more about your results etc etc, but it was only when my career guidence teacher started ranting about "Trinity having that 'oomph factor'" that I got a big worried about what the hell I was going to do!!

• Advertisement

Well Jannah, and I have heard this from a lawyer here myself, that if he had the chance to employ two people both from Munster but one had a Trinity degree and the other a UCC degree, he's go for the UCC graduate. Why? Because the UCC graduate didn't fall for the hype that Trinity supposedly has.

Don't get me wrong, do what you want and whatever you feel happy with. I am not posting to begrudge you or anything, I'm posting to try and help you.

You said "it is by no means snobbery to wonder if year course in Trinity would be more beneficial and looked upon better". The snobbery is in the last few words there!

The "oomph factor" that your guidance councellor speaks of is codswallop. If you work heard enough and if you involve yourself enough in college life then you will succeed. Employers increasingly look not just at results (which are based still in exams mainly) but at things such as society and club involvement in college which show one can work as a team member.

I don't understand either where you say "It would be retarded for me to ask "will I move out for the year" because if I was to move away it would be for 4 years and not one". Firstly using "retarded" in the sense you did is demeaning to people with certain disability's and limitations and secondly it wouldn't be stupid to ask whether you should move out for a year. That 'a year' could be 'four years' or whatever but still it's a big step to take and one that plenty of people ask about all of the time. With you already admitting that you were going to plump for UCC straight out until your clueless guidance teacher said otherwise, you are showing that really you were never certain and still not are, about going for Trinity.

Anyway look make your choice and best of luck with it. No need to get aggressive or offensive with me, I only wanted to help because people going into the LC can get a little dillusioned, happened me too. By the way, factor in the cost of living in Dublin and all of that stuff too and the case for UCC gets stronger! Also make sure you really want Law cos if you're in it for the money and don't really like it at all, chances are you'll end up with a job that pays the bills but never makes you smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Jannah, the reality is that while Trinity might have an 'oomph' factor that actually really only counts outside of Ireland and the UK where people might be more inclined to hire on institutional reputation because they don't know that much about how courses actually run in a place. The reality is that if you're bright and work hard and get good grades and are involved in non-law things (yes, really) you'll have the best chance to get a good job that you want in the future. In terms of inside of Ireland, most practitioners you talk to - and certainly over 90% of legal academics - will tell you that, at the moment, people in the know consider UCC Law graduates pretty much the best in the country but there's very little between Trinity and UCC on that. Certainly UCC produces the most research and writing in law, it has a clinical course at undergrad that nobody else has, it has a extremely well regarded masters course, it has brilliant lecturers on board, a wonderful dean etc.... I think the reality is that in many ways guidance counsellors don't know what they're talking about when they start advising on what institution to go to in a particular discipline. What you should really be doing is hitting up some solicitors or barristers that you know/parents know/cousin of your vet knows, whatever (you can always find someone), for an on-the-ground opinion. I think you'll find it's far more knowledgeable and in tune than your guidance counsellor's, however well intentioned the advice might be.

Great post...summed it up well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

In fairness, Dublin is an expensive dump and Trinity is a concrete jungle.

Between the two, I'd stick with UCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Orizio wrote: »
    In fairness, Dublin is an expensive dump and Trinity is a concrete jungle.

Between the two, I'd stick with UCC.

Trinity, a concrete jungle? :confused: Sure you're not thinking of UCD? Trintiy has some of the most beautifull architecture in the country, its one of the most beautifull campuses in Europe. You silly goose!
    Well Jannah, and I have heard this from a lawyer here myself, that if he had the chance to employ two people both from Munster but one had a Trinity degree and the other a UCC degree, he's go for the UCC graduate. Why? Because the UCC graduate didn't fall for the hype that Trinity supposedly has.

Ok, now I'm not calling you retarded but you've either twisted your "lawyer"(I presume you mean solicitor) friend's word, or he/she themselves is a little slow. I mean, you're not going to hire someone because you've made the assumption that this person has "fallen for the Trinity 'hype'"? :confused: This "lawyer" buddy of yours wouldn't take into consideration the personal reasons why someone might leave Munster for Dublin (of which there could be many), and will give the other person the job just because they went to " 'd 'aul lowcal college", not taking into consideration (as someone else pointed out earlier) merit, academic results, personal activities (sports, showing someone as being driven etc.). To me it sounds like this "lawyer" pal of yours is some back-water solicitor with the attitude "Jaysus, I wouldn't hire anyone who went to that Orange college in the Pale, the filthy English. I'll hire this other chap, he got a low 2:2 in his degree, failed his exams twice before getting accepted in Blackhall place, is rude and has a drink problem, but sure at least he went to the Catholic unversity, begorrah!", and hence is not someone I'm sure Jannah would want to work for.

A law degree means nothing anyway. I'm doing Philosophy and Political Science in Trinity, with a view to perhaps sitting the Blackhall place exams after my degree and becoming a solicitor. Jannah, your 1st degree isn't important. Move away from home. 1st year will be difficult. 2nd year will be ok. But by the time you're finished you'll have so much life experience you'll be a completely different person to the one you are now. Take a chance, you'll look back when you're 50 and remember your college years fondly.

As for the "oomph!" factor, its the 10th best law school in the world, but if you really don't wanna move away from home then that shouldn't be the only thing that influences your decision.

Trinity, a concrete jungle? :confused: Sure you're not thinking of UCD? Trintiy has some of the most beautifull architecture in the country, its one of the most beautifull campuses in Europe. You silly goose!

Woah woah calm down there, your going to hurt my feelings. ;)

I've only been around Trinity once but one of the nicest campuses in Europe? Possibly one of the 'nicest' in Dublin, but I have little love for any of the uni's in Dublin.

Woah woah calm down there, your going to hurt my feelings. ;)

I've only been around Trinity once but one of the nicest campuses in Europe? Possibly one of the 'nicest' in Dublin, but I have little love for any of the uni's in Dublin.

You are such a goose. Between the cricket pitch, the green areas and then stuff like the bell-tower, front arch, the GMB, front square etc. I just really can't seem to find any merit in your point. I've never been to Cork so can't comment on your UCC campus, but I sincerely doubt its as "nice" as ours. No offence!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've never been to Cork so can't comment

maybe you should visit some other colleges some time. you might be surprised.

deRanged wrote: »
    maybe you should visit some other colleges some time. you might be surprised.

Suprised by what? Theres no doubt in my mind that UCC is a fine university. One of my best mates is in second year there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Suprised by what?
    I just really can't seem to find any merit in your point
    I sincerely doubt its as "nice" as ours.

if you visit places, you can comment on them. you might even change your mind.

Ok, now I'm not calling you retarded but you've either twisted your "lawyer"(I presume you mean solicitor) friend's word, or he/she themselves is a little slow. I mean, you're not going to hire someone because you've made the assumption that this person has "fallen for the Trinity 'hype'"? :confused: This "lawyer" buddy of yours wouldn't take into consideration the personal reasons why someone might leave Munster for Dublin (of which there could be many), and will give the other person the job just because they went to " 'd 'aul lowcal college", not taking into consideration (as someone else pointed out earlier) merit, academic results, personal activities (sports, showing someone as being driven etc.). To me it sounds like this "lawyer" pal of yours is some back-water solicitor with the attitude "Jaysus, I wouldn't hire anyone who went to that Orange college in the Pale, the filthy English. I'll hire this other chap, he got a low 2:2 in his degree, failed his exams twice before getting accepted in Blackhall place, is rude and has a drink problem, but sure at least he went to the Catholic unversity, begorrah!", and hence is not someone I'm sure Jannah would want to work for.

A law degree means nothing anyway. I'm doing Philosophy and Political Science in Trinity, with a view to perhaps sitting the Blackhall place exams after my degree and becoming a solicitor. Jannah, your 1st degree isn't important. Move away from home. 1st year will be difficult. 2nd year will be ok. But by the time you're finished you'll have so much life experience you'll be a completely different person to the one you are now. Take a chance, you'll look back when you're 50 and remember your college years fondly.

As for the "oomph!" factor, its the 10th best law school in the world, but if you really don't wanna move away from home then that shouldn't be the only thing that influences your decision.

I see your point, I was suprised when he said it too but Trinity as nice as it is ain't all it's cracked up to be and Dublin itself is indeed a dump.

Anyway look back on topic, we're trying to help a person out here.

Fabio wrote: »
    In fairness, he sounds a like a pretty dodgy solicitor is he's basing his decisions on who to hire according to whether they can not "fall for the hype" or not. I've known 3 people who have recently gotten jobs as solicitors recently and it has all been because they had connections in the business already! (although I think extra-cirriculars and good results are the best bet!) Sorry if I came across as agressive, but it just seemed like you were implying that I was a snob, which, in fairness, I don't think I am at all. Like most people, I'm just looking for something that I'll be able to get an edge with, especially when things get competitive- not something to shout from the rooftops about and swagger across campus with a briefcase and the constitution!! :P

Very true Flananator! Anyone who's had the misfortune to have history of art for leaving cert like myself will know all too well how spectacular it is. That said, UCC is amazing too- the Glucksman is insane!

Very good points made- the 10th best?! Waweewawa! :P I didn't know that! But I agree with you, there are loads of ways to become a solicitor and in the end, I might even end up doing journalism after it or the like, so I'm pretty much just looking for the place that I'd be happiest in and not have a mental breakdown and shave my head after the first day!

You are such a goose.

You really need to take a guide in how to insult people. :D
    Between the cricket pitch, the green areas and then stuff like the bell-tower, front arch, the GMB, front square etc. I just really can't seem to find any merit in your point. I've never been to Cork so can't comment on your UCC campus, but I sincerely doubt its as "nice" as ours. No offence!:)

Trust me it is. And UL is nicer then Trinity as well. But anyway, saying Trinity has the best campus in the country when you haven't been to CIT and UCC is a little lacking in the logic I would think in abundance of the finest students on our green shores.

You really need to take a guide in how to insult people. :D

Trust me it is. And UL is nicer then Trinity as well. But anyway, saying Trinity has the best campus in the country when you haven't been to CIT and UCC is a little lacking in the logic I would think in abundance of the finest students on our green shores.

Easy now. I said its one of the best in Europe. Thats generally agreed upon by anyone who understands architecture/art/etc. For all I know UCC could be one of the best in europe also.
    if you visit places, you can comment on them. you might even change your mind.
    Another UCC goose:D You've mis-quoted me. I said I doubt UCC is as nice as Trinity. Thats not a fact, a statement etc; its just a doubt I have. I could be wrong but I have listed several very good reasons (front arch, front square, etc.) why I don't think I am. These same reasons lead me to believe that your claim that TCD is a concrete jungle lacks merit.

That enough logic for you all? YOU SILLY GOOSES!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 AceofSpades001

There's definitely something to be said for UCC when it comes to the extra-cirruclar side of things, we're hosting the Worlds Debating Championships next year, as well as the fact that our debating teams consistently get through to semi finals and finals of inter varsitys in NUIG (won), Oxford (semi finals), UCD (finalists). And that was just this year. Debating always looks good on any solicitor CV. Plus law students can become part of FLAC (Free Legal Advice Centre) and COLR (Cork Online Law Review). I don't know what it's like up in Trinity so I can't really say anything about it. But UCC law students always have a day off on friday, so at least you can sleep off the hangover from a thursday night.:D

• Advertisement

UCC law students always have a day off on friday, so at least you can sleep off the hangover from a thursday night.:D

SOLD! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Easy now. I said its one of the best in Europe. Thats generally agreed upon by anyone who understands architecture/art/etc. For all I know UCC could be one of the best in europe also.

Another UCC goose:D You've mis-quoted me. I said I doubt UCC is as nice as Trinity. Thats not a fact, a statement etc; its just a doubt I have. I could be wrong but I have listed several very good reasons (front arch, front square, etc.) why I don't think I am. These same reasons lead me to believe that your claim that TCD is a concrete jungle lacks merit.

Trinity, for many reasons both architectural and others is an acquired taste really. Personally I like the campus but I can see why other's wouldn't be too enamoured with it. I'd echo the others though, if you haven't set a foot in many other campuses outside of Dublin I don't think you're in much of a position to be saying any college has one of the finest campuses in Europe to be honest.
    And UL is nicer then Trinity as well.

I couldn't disagree more, I hate UL's campus. :p

nesf wrote: »

I couldn't disagree more, I hate UL's campus. :p

Maybe i'm biased being from Limerick but I honestly believe UL has the nicest campus in Ireland, it is one of the 2 universities in Ireland not located in the city (the other being maynooth),
    The campus is spectacular, especially with the new footbridge.

And I have seen many campuses, Trinity's, NUIG's, NUIM's , UCD's and UCC's/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

1huge1 wrote: »
    Maybe i'm biased being from Limerick but I honestly believe UL has the nicest campus in Ireland, it is one of the 2 universities in Ireland not located in the city (the other being maynooth),
    The campus is spectacular, especially with the new footbridge.

And I have seen many campuses, Trinity's, NUIG's, NUIM's , UCD's and UCC's/

I prefer very old buildings on campuses. My favourites on UCC are the Quad, the Church (technically it's off campus but whatever) and the Observatory. UL is too modern for me, though I can appreciate why people would like it if they are into that kind of architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dubhlinn

I work in legal recruitment and it doesn't really make a difference whether your degree is from UCC or Trinity. What does make a difference is whether it's a university or college degree. You'd be better off doing a 3 year degree and a 1 year masters than doing a 4 year degree.

• Advertisement

Dubhlinn wrote: »
    I work in legal recruitment and it doesn't really make a difference whether your degree is from UCC or Trinity. What does make a difference is whether it's a university or college degree. You'd be better off doing a 3 year degree and a 1 year masters than doing a 4 year degree.
    Aha! Thanks for that Dubhlinn- I'm glad to get a straight answer after asking parents/ teachers etc about it and than humming and hawwing about it- and now, I shall go and whip my career guidance teacher's ass- this really does show that she has no knowledge whatsoever to embark on us poor mallable kids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

If you were to stay in Cork the money saved will cover the cost of a masters if you choose to do one.......

If you live at home your grades will be better/should be better in 1st/2nd year which although not important by the time blackhall comes around good results in 1st and 2nd year (when people just pass) will stand to you in the long run.

Plus with the money saved you could go mad and do a masters in the states the'ye like $150K (as pitched to NUIG law students for one in NYU anyway) would be pretty deadly on the CV and a sure fire way to make serious cash if you wanted to stay in the USA. I'm not fully up to date on these though! Nobody from NUIG did it as it was a bit of an odd idea but imo it sounds great.

If you stay in Cork you can move out if you want to, Dublin would be much tougher to settle in 1st year if you're not used to it and the accomodation is average for students unless you want to pay high rent. best of luck either way!

Thanks Dumbyearbook! Thats actually a really good idea about going to the US to do a masters- although, being around Americans for large amounts of time is likely to result in a 10 stone weight gain and a dodgy accent (not to mention having to visit my cousin's nephew's uncle's friend's niece who is apparently Irish!)

Dublin is fairly frightening... with the PEOPLE... and the BUILDINGS... and more importantly, the lack of sky digital and a live in cook (formally known as maw!) Great advice!

Thanks Dumbyearbook! Thats actually a really good idea about going to the US to do a masters- although, being around Americans for large amounts of time is likely to result in a 10 stone weight gain and a dodgy accent (not to mention having to visit my cousin's nephew's uncle's friend's niece who is apparently Irish!)

Dublin is fairly frightening... with the PEOPLE... and the BUILDINGS... and more importantly, the lack of sky digital and a live in cook
    (formally known as maw!) Great advice!

Now you're thinking straight Jannah! Go for UCC, but whatever you do make sure that you will enjoy it cos a friend of mine who's doing Arts with me said to me today that with exams coming up he'll "do fine" but "has no enthusiasm for it at all...feels he's wasting his time as he should have done another course". I feel the complete opposite, I'm doing history and sociology and love it to bits!

If you love your course too, you'll fly at it, wherever you end up going.

Dubhlinn wrote: »

What do you mean by a university or college degree? Surely people use these terms interchangeably?

And since you are in legal recruitment you'll be nicely placed to answer a question that has been bugging me for a while. To what extent do legal recruiters/employers have actual specific knowledge of material covered in various law degree courses or keep up to speed on such matters? Or is it simply a case of X degree is better than Y degree simply because we have always believed it is?

Advertisement