Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im dropping out-should i do law or law and french law?

Options
  • 06-04-2008 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm dropping out of 1st year arts, basically because i find that i'm not learning anything that anyone who reads the same books wouldnt already know (im doing english and french). I want to do law and am slightly leaning towards the law and french law because i obviously like french, and i went to some law classes and really like them... the thing is i have no idea what the french law aspect of the course is like or if doing it would diminish the irish law degree side of it... I would really appreciate any advice from anyone who does either course as I'm a bit at odds at the moment between the two and im worried that if the french law side of the course was too hard it would put me off the language altogether... :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Law with french law is four years as opposed to straight Law which is three, thus you probably do all of the courses for a normal degree, just more spread out as you're also taking the French Law courses, thus you're taking an extra 60 credits over the course of your degree when compared with a straight law degree.

There's also teh BCL Matrisse which is a dual degree. You do two years in UCD and then two years in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

You could do Law with French language in either UCC or Trinity

Basically it's 75% of a normal law degree with the same French as an Arts degree, which gives you more options should you decide that you don't want to do anything connected with law after you have finished (a lot of people feel this way when they realise the effort required to qualify and then be successful as a lawyer)

You also get a knowledge of French Law through some modules over here and then an Erasmus year in France

I'm not familiar with the UCD course but I wonder would French Law be difficult if you don't learn French language

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Sisu

You could do Law with French language in either UCC or Trinity
    The UCD and TCD degrees are more similar to each other in that they both focus on law and French law, including in the years in Ireland, whereas the French component on the UCC course is more like an Arts degree (eg literature). The Trinity course has French language and civilisation modules as well as law, but no literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I have no idea about the structure of the law degree, but would it not be an option to just do law, and then take a french language elective.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Law with french law is four years as opposed to straight Law which is three, thus you probably do all of the courses for a normal degree, just more spread out as you're also taking the French Law courses, thus you're taking an extra 60 credits over the course of your degree when compared with a straight law degree.

There's also teh BCL Matrisse which is a dual degree. You do two years in UCD and then two years in France.
    Its 4 years because you have to spend a year in France. You will cover all subjects required for my the Kings Inn and Blackhall Place, plus a few extra that you want to do. Not as much choice in subjects as a straight law degree though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Libronerd

Law with French Law is a 4 year degree- a BCL and Diplome en droit from one of 8 universities in France. Easier going than the Maitrise, which is a BCL in 2 years, and then a Maitrise en Droit from Paris II.

Maitrise is being discontinued, rumour has it...I'll say no more. French law programme is still going strong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 its-an-illusion

Sangre wrote: »
    Its 4 years because you have to spend a year in France. You will cover all subjects required for my the Kings Inn and Blackhall Place, plus a few extra that you want to do. Not as much choice in subjects as a straight law degree though.

Thank you!:DThis helped a lot- my main worry was that i wouldn't have the necessary modules for both places and would be left with no choice of modules I'd like to do just out of interest. Atleast there is still some choice even though there's not a huge range i can pick from. I d rather do the french law than taking an elective in french as i dont feel they teach it very well(i do it now and havent improved much since the leaving)Does anyone know what the french part of the course is like in the first year - will i have to give presentations in french? I hear its an intense course.

Advertisement