Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

8-10k to spend, suggestions?

Options
  • 06-04-2008 7:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm in the market for my first car and looking to spend between 8 and 10k (having driven my mum's 1.2 Clio for the best part of a year, with 3 or 4 months worth of lessons before that).

I'm 21, 22 in July so hopefully that would have some bearing on my insurance costs. Currently on my first provisional which I've had since mid-06, and will hopefully pass my test this summer.

I'm not too pushed as to petrol or diesel really, but if I went the diesel route presumably I'd have to get a larger sized engine which I think might push up insurance a bit.

I do want something nippy, either 3 or 5 door hatchback, and there is the possibility it will see some trips around Ireland during the year so comfort over long distances would be nice too!!

At the moment I'm looking at...

-'03/04ish Seat Leon 1.4, something like this http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/SEAT/Leon/1.4-STELLA/833769/
    -'01/02ish Golf (http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/1.8áT-GTI/997898/)\
    -02 Saxo VTR
    -Possibly a focus

I guess the golf would be the preffered option, purely because I perceive them to have a higher build quality, better residual price and are more reliable. Is that true?

I'm pretty sure I'd get murdered insurance wise on a GTI tho so I might have to look at 1.4's or 1.6's.

Any advice that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. And if I've missed anything I should be considering then please let me know!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

a saxo vtr would be a great first car to have if you can put up with the size of it compared to the others you have mentioned, the vtr will be the most fun anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

if i were you i would cover the cost of your insurance into that 8-10k!
    you dont wanna go spending big money on your first car cos lets face it there wil be the odd bump or scratch!!!!!
    id go for the leon bt would prob be the hardest to insure!!!

the vtr would be harder to insure than the leon i'd say, the leon is a lovely car too, i'd go for one over a golf because they share the same basis but you'll pay a premium to own a golf over a better specced leon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Just had a quick check on Quinn Direct, they wouldn't provide me with an online quote for the Golf GTI, so chances are it's a non-runner. BUT I'd be looking at about 1,800 on a 1.9 GT TDI (150bhp). If that changes anything...

I don't know whether or not to be concerned by the high miles since the golf seems to have such a great rep (we're talking 80ishk+).

on a TDI golf 80k miles would mean the engine is just run in, if its been maintained properly(full service history) and hasn't been ragged high mileage wouldn't put me off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

draffodx wrote: »
    on a TDI golf 80k miles would mean the engine is just run in, if its been maintained properly(full service history) and hasn't been ragged high mileage wouldn't put me off

+1

If I was you I'd go for either the Leon TDI or Golf TDI, 150bhp is plenty :)

Thanks so far guys!!

Would a 1.9 TDI Golf/Leon have cheaper running costs than an equivalent 1.6 or 1.6 petrol?

I'm guessing fuel would be cheaper (or the same amount would last longer!), service costs are probably marginal either way..?

Is there any performance difference between the petrols and diesels? Not in general, but specifically with Golfs or Leons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Here something a bit different :D

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Alfa-Romeo/147/SportivoLusso/991619/

Its way under your budget, so theres extra money for maintenance etc

Here something a bit different :D

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Alfa-Romeo/147/SportivoLusso/991619/

Its way under your budget, so theres extra money for maintenance etc

I had actually thought about a 147, but was concerned by the horror stories of them not actually being a car (since a car has to be able to drive places and Alfa's seem broken down more often than not!!). I don't know how true that is tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

golfs are built like toyotas , great relyablity though toyota use more glu on there interiors

saxo vtr are ok but a xsara vtr would be a better buy ( looks better , handles better , alround better car )

though i wouldsbe intrested in a corrolla hatch ( 00' onwards ) possable G6 model ?

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    Thanks so far guys!!

Would a 1.9 TDI Golf/Leon have cheaper running costs than an equivalent 1.6 or 1.6 petrol?

I'm guessing fuel would be cheaper (or the same amount would last longer!), service costs are probably marginal either way..?

Is there any performance difference between the petrols and diesels? Not in general, but specifically with Golfs or Leons?

diesel is actually more expensive in some garages now! but you will get a lot more out of a tank with normal driving compared to a petrol.

in general a 1.9 diesel will be as powerful as a 1.6 and usually more powerfull, a 1.6 would generally be around 100 - 120bhp will a 1.9 tdi would be between 90 - 150bhp again in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

You can go Golf for the image factor or Focus if you want the best drive. Look at an '03 1.6 or 1.4 Zetec hatchback. There are a huge number for sale on carzone so you should be able to get a good deal. Also try and get one with air-con. The three door hatchback also looks very good.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/1.6-zetec/937237/

S.I.R wrote: »
    golfs are built like toyotas , great relyablity though toyota use more glu on there interiors

saxo vtr are ok but a xsara vtr would be a better buy ( looks better , handles better , alround better car )

though i wouldsbe intrested in a corrolla hatch ( 00' onwards ) possable G6 model ?

Good shout on the Corrolla G6 actually. There doesn't seem to be alot them on carzone tho. And any that are seem to have been *ahem* modded...

I don't know how big a fan I am of the Xsara, I always thought it looks kinda lumpy?

diesel is actually more expensive in some garages now! but you will get a lot more out of a tank with normal driving compared to a petrol.

in general a 1.9 diesel will be as powerful as a 1.6 and usually more powerfull, a 1.6 would generally be around 100 - 120bhp will a 1.9 tdi would be between 90 - 150bhp again in general.

Yeah that's what I was getting at when I said it was cheaper... I know per litre it's more expensive in most places, but the same amount should last longer!!

Thanks for the info on the relative spec's for diesel v petrol. I guess for the size of car I'm looking at, a 1.4 petrol would be the absolute minimum? I've heard that the golf 1.4 petrols are actually quite slow. Although that was more aimed at the mk V so I don;t know if it holds true for the mk IV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Xsaras are much better than their looks might appear. One of the few Citroens I like. Dunno about reliability though.

Golfs are notorious for electrical problems, and the 1.4 is slow even for a 1.4 as well as horrendous for reliabilty.

1.4s in any car of that size will be laughably slow once you get out of town, apart from the 97 bhp 1.4 Corolla which does 0-100 in 11.5 which is rather good actually, not far off a 1.6 really. People will think you're like a stereotypical Volvo driver in any 1.4 because you'll be travelling so slowly:D. 1.6 or diesel is a must have really for anyone who wants something nippy and can do long distances.

Thanks E92!!

I must confess looks are important to me. That'd be a big huge X against the Xsara straight away.

It's looking like a Golf GT TDI mgiht be the best option right now... so if anyone has one for sale for 8-10k, let me know!

I'm still open to other suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

I'll be in your position next year and more than likely I will go for an Alfa Romeo 147. I have always fancied them. If you're looking for something that looks good and has decent performance, it fits. I did a lot of reading up on them having read many of the negative threads around boards.
    They will need a timing belt change at 40K (not 72k as was stated by Alfa).
    You have to take care of them, perform weekly checks etc. You can't treat one of these like a Corolla.
    You will get plenty of style, kit and comfort for your money. I just don't understand the obsession with VW Golfs. I can't think of a more boring car. They are so common too. Dare to be different!!

I share the same feelings as colsers22, I see the golf as a very boring car even the new Mark V is dull!

a 1.4 will be very slow and as you will have to push it harder to get any speed out of it will be dire on petrol, A TDI is probably the best bet if you are goin for a golf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I share the same feelings as colsers22, I see the golf as a very boring car even the new Mark V is dull!

a 1.4 will be very slow and as you will have to push it harder to get any speed out of it will be dire on petrol, A TDI is probably the best bet if you are goin for a golf
    +1. The MkIV 1.6 is as old as the hills and not very good on the juice either. You'll know someone is coming a mile away in the diesel though. There is absolutely no mistaking what fuel that engine uses, even when it's fully warmed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Hanley wrote: »
    Thanks E92!!

It's looking like a Golf GT TDI mgiht be the best option right now... so if anyone has one for sale for 8-10k, let me know!

I'm still open to other suggestions.
    If your looking at Golf "GT" TDI's, i'd suggest going for a 130bhp model over the 150bhp. From what I've been told and from what I've read on various VAG sites the 130bhp model is more reliable and a better regarded motor.
    Plus on a more practical level it will probably be a lot cheaper to insure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I agree to, the Golf is incrediably boring, common, slow, expensive and not any more relaible than most other cars, i cant believe so many people buy them when theres so many better cars out there for the money

Advertisement