Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harris Bipod - impact on accuracy

Options
  • 06-04-2008 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

All

I have noticed recently that when I use my bipod it seems to have a adverse affect on the accuracy of the rifle. I am shooting a prohunter with a harris bipod.
    Last autum while zeroing in a new batch of ammo I noticed that my grouping went from 2" to 1" immediately when I changed the surface that the bipod was resting on. The first grouping was shot while lying on a hard farm roadwad, for the second grouping I placed a 2" block of sterofoam between the bipod and the roadway. I have been assuming that the recoil is reflected by the hard surface of the road and affecting the accuracy.

Anyone have experiance on this one or similar?

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Bipod is causing stock to touch barrel when used ?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Quite possibly,I have noticed that the gap around the barrel is no longer even on both sides? But I am not sure if this is due to the bipod or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

resting the rifle or bipod on a hard surface can cause vertical stringing
    so changing to a softer medium would improve the groups-its quite normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rob308

firing with a bipod from a hard surface will definitely change your point of impact and group sizes. i have read that some branches of the us armed forces simply never use bipods on their rifles due to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Yep i have experinced this! Used to zero th rifle with the bipod and then shoot off natural supports! Change is minimal but i does happen.

• Advertisement

thanks for the info lads, I was afraid there was a issue with the front end of the rifle foregrip or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

kerryman12 wrote: »
    All

I have noticed recently that when I use my bipod it seems to have a adverse affect on the accuracy of the rifle. I am shooting a prohunter with a harris bipod.
    Last autum while zeroing in a new batch of ammo I noticed that my grouping went from 2" to 1" immediately when I changed the surface that the bipod was resting on. The first grouping was shot while lying on a hard farm roadwad, for the second grouping I placed a 2" block of sterofoam between the bipod and the roadway. I have been assuming that the recoil is reflected by the hard surface of the road and affecting the accuracy.

Anyone have experiance on this one or similar?

Regards
    your pro hunter has a very light fore end and is easy to move if you put any weight on it .i have and a few steyr s over the years and its there worst fault .take off the stock and give it a bit of a sanding around the barrel channel,and try to hold the gun the same way off the bag or bipod

hi Jwshooter

Yea definately a flaw in the design, I will keep that in mind in future.
    Thanks and regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

The Mark 1 prohunter has a very unstable forend. The mark 2 is not as bad but is still fairly flexible

Advertisement