Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Change of ownership documents.

Options
  • 06-04-2008 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Ok, so I'm meeting the buyer of my car tomorrow to give him the keys and wave goodbye to my old car. I have (1) a vehicle licensing certificate and (2) a Vehicle Registration certificate.
    I think the licensing is straight forward enough. I tick the 'change of ownership' box, he fills in his name, address, etc, we both sign it and I post it off.
    It's the other cert. that I'm not clear on.
    "If you sell or transfer the vehicle to someone else, PRIOR TO FIRST LICENSING (ROAD TAXING) you and that person must complete the Change of Ownership Declaration overleaf.
    There's also the top part of the document with my name and address, but which is on a section that is perforated.

Do I remove the perforated part with my name and address?
    The back of it is just blank and why would the new owner need to keep the old owner's details attached to the cert. once the car is in his possession.
    As the car is 9 years old and has been road taxed all along, do I not fill any details in? The change of ownership declaration on the back once again specifies that it's only to be filled in if the car has never been licensed for road tax in the state.
    The rest of the change of details relate to change of vehicle particulars and vehicle scrapping/destroying/sent of of the state.

Do I just remove my personal details off the top of the cert and hand it to him?

I sold a car nine years ago and can't remember what the procedure was. I don't want to mess this up for the new buyer or myself.

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You, the seller, are the one to send the documents to Shannon.

More

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

biko wrote: »
    You, the seller, are the one to send the documents to Shannon.

+1

If you hand him the cert and the seller is slow about sending it to Shannon, you will be the one who receives any fines as you will still be the registered owner.

Advertisement