Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muffin Tops

• 06-04-2008 8:55pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In case you're not familiar with the term "muffin top", it refers to the bulge of fat around your middle that hangs over jeans. It seems to be a real problem area, as even very thin people can often have trouble with them. Is there any exercises that specifically target that area? I've been doing abs, hips and lower back weights for three months now and haven't noticed any significant reduction in mine. Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of muffin top is to burn bodyfat. You can't exercise it away by doing sit-ups. Get on your bike and cycle, put on your runners and run.

One thing I have noticed is that when people switch to a very low carb diet, the muffin top is often one of the first places to shrink. In fact, I have a vague memory that of a study that found that people with muffin tops do much better on low carb diets than pear shapes.

So try cutting out anything with sugar, flour, box breakfast cereals, low fat products, ready meals, potatoes, rice, pasta, dried fruit or fruit juices. In fact, keep fruit for before workouts only. Eat lots of eggs, meat, lots and lots of green veg and snack on things like cottage cheese and nuts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

EileenG wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of muffin top is to burn bodyfat. You can't exercise it away by doing sit-ups. Get on your bike and cycle, put on your runners and run.

One thing I have noticed is that when people switch to a very low carb diet, the muffin top is often one of the first places to shrink. In fact, I have a vague memory that of a study that found that people with muffin tops do much better on low carb diets than pear shapes.

So try cutting out anything with sugar, flour, box breakfast cereals, low fat products, ready meals, potatoes, rice, pasta, dried fruit or fruit juices. In fact, keep fruit for before workouts only. Eat lots of eggs, meat, lots and lots of green veg and snack on things like cottage cheese and nuts.

That's interesting, Eileen, thanks. I'm actually planning on starting low-carb in a week when I get back to my own flat. I do lots of cardio, but it hasn't had much of an effect so far. Fingers crossed for low-carbing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'll testify to what EileenG has said. Low carb diet with lots of exercise can knock those nasty trouble spots quite effectively. My trouble spots have always been those fat deposits above the hips, located towards the back. But they're being blitzed right now due to low-carb eating and a lot of exercise.

I've split the threads to keep both on topic. Lipo starter, your thread is now here.

Okay, I was doing a bit of reading in journals last night about low-carbing and several of them mentioned that it can affect you mentally by making your more tired and less able to concentrate and recall. I've very important exams in May, should I wait until after that to low-carb?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cressy

The trouble with low carb diets is that as soon as you stop doing them you put all the weight straight back on. And they make you irritable, tired and if you follow the Atkins - fairly bad breath. You might be better off just eating sensibly, not too much fat, low sugar, lots of fresh food, no processed rubbish, definitely no fruit juice, drink lots and lots of water and get yourself on the bike, treadmill or out for a run - 30 mins 3 times a week. That should sort you out. Plus it's way way easier to maintain. It takes longer than going on a low carb diet, but at least you won't put it all back as soon as you stop dieting. Boring I know, but its really the only effective way to get it off and keep it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

That's becuase your brain needs carbohydrates to function. When there's a lack of them, your brain struggles a little. There's three ways to cope: eat more carbs, deal with it, further reduce your carbs and go into ketogenesis (further discussed a little here and here). I'm not a big fan of long-term keto though and with exams coming up I think you need to concentrate on those first. There'll be penty of time for concentrating on fat-loss afterwards.

cressy wrote: »
    The trouble with low carb diets is that as soon as you stop doing them you put all the weight straight back on.

Not necessarily, you only put weight back on if you increase your calorie intake. When people reintroduce carbs into their diet though their intake will automatically go through the roof, as in general Irish people have no idea what a healthy portion size of calorie dense starchy carbs should be.

The trouble with low carb diets is that as soon as you stop doing them you put all the weight straight back on.

The one problem I have with that statement is treating low-carbing as a diet. If you are to be successful with it, and this is true for any form of diet adjustment, then it needs to become a way of living and not a 'diet' to start on Monday morning and finish once you fit into that dress.
    And they make you irritable, tired and if you follow the Atkins - fairly bad breath.

Everyone is different, this might be the case initially as you learn to give up your addicition to sugars and other nasties. But once you move past that into a healthy form of eating, you'll feel great.
    You might be better off just eating sensibly, not too much fat, low sugar, lots of fresh food, no processed rubbish, definitely no fruit juice, drink lots and lots of water

Isn't that a low-carb diet just there? I'm not attacking, the point I'm trying to make is that it is a very healthy way of eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

You might be better off just eating sensibly, not too much fat, low sugar, lots of fresh food, no processed rubbish, definitely no fruit juice, drink lots and lots of water
    dudara wrote: »
    Isn't that a low-carb diet just there?

No, a typical low carb diet derives 25% of calories from protein,65% from fat, and 10% from carbohydrate. So you need to eat more than double the daily recommended percentage for fat when you are low-carbing.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    Okay, I was doing a bit of reading in journals last night about low-carbing and several of them mentioned that it can affect you mentally by making your more tired and less able to concentrate and recall. I've very important exams in May, should I wait until after that to low-carb?

Most people feel pretty crap the first time they do a full blown low carb diet. Especially if they give up coffee at the same time, which an amazing number do. However, once you get used to it, you shouldn't have any problems.

I find that when I'm in ketosis, I feel MORE clear headed and alert and less likely to shout at the children. If I am doing an exam or have a study day, I make a point of being in ketosis. On carbs, I often find myself falling asleep after an hour sitting down.

In fact, one of the ways I know I'm in ketosis is that I would rather read a textbook than a novel, and do crosswords or puzzles to relax.

The trouble with low carb diets is that as soon as you stop doing them you put all the weight straight back on. And they make you irritable, tired and if you follow the Atkins - fairly bad breath.

When you go off a low carb diet, you will put on a few pounds of water weight, but it's just water, not fat. There's no reason you should put on fat unless you go on an almighty binge or go back to your old way of eating. And that applies to any diet. My Weight Watcher sister has reached goal several times, then put back on a couple of stone, then has to do it all over again.

At the start of a low carb diet, you may notice a fruity smell to your breath. It's not bad, just different (and a lot better than garlic). Drink lots of water, eat your green veggies and it should go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm a recent convert to the low carb way and before January I was a total sceptic. I still eat the same breakfast which is carb based but it's healthy and it fills me up for a few hours. I also eat the same lunch as before but I've changed what I eat for dinner.

Now I tend to fill my plate with vegetables, a good portion of fish or chicken and a teeny tiny portion of carb. Sometimes I don't bother with the carbs at all but if I'm going out for a run the next day then I'll have some carbs.

I also started doing sit ups and crunches in January. I do about 80-100 of each twice a week. What I've found is if I stick to a reduced carb intake in the evenings then my stomach is lovely and flat and I can see some muscle definition. If I eat carbs then I'm bloated.

I don't think I'll ever go very low carb but just reducing it for my evening meal has made a big difference. I also eat lots of protein after a run.
    It definitely works for me and I'm never hungry. In fact what I've noticed is I don't get that sleepy, groggy feeling at night that I used to get when I ate normal portions of carbs. I used to be falling asleep on the sofa within an hour of having my dinner.

cozmik wrote: »
    No, a typical low carb diet derives 25% of calories from protein,65% from fat, and 10% from carbohydrate. So you need to eat more than double the daily recommended percentage for fat when you are low-carbing.

Only if you want to. You don't have to eat that much fat, and I think lots of low-carbing people wouldn't dream of doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭lindak

I have recently started trying to cut my carbs down. I was eating way to much fruit and carbs. So I havent fully cut it out , but what I have done is if I have carbs for lunch I wont have any for dinner and vica versa. I have fruit and seeds & yogurt for lunch so there is carbs there but that is it. I have replaced the carbs with protein and good fat, eg: egg, tuna, nuts etc. Its not drastic but it is definatley reduced and I have been doing this for the last two weeks, and I have definatley noticed a difference. I dont think I would exclude carbs altogether I train a lot so need it for energy !

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

this thread makes me want to cry, as i'm the same, but i love a big bowl of shpuds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭lindak

this thread makes me want to cry, as i'm the same, but i love a big bowl of shpuds

I still have potatoes, like for example today I will have a salad for lunch , so I will have 3/4 small baby potatoes, But if I had carbs for lunch I wont have and carbs for dinner. Not a big bowl but spuds all the same!

dudara wrote: »
    Only if you want to. You don't have to eat that much fat, and I think lots of low-carbing people wouldn't dream of doing so.

I'm sorry but you do have to eat that much fat on a "low" carb diet.

On a high protein diet you don't need as much fat because you increase your carbs and protein.

When you are cutting carbs, you do increase protein and fats, This is not a bad thing. Non-processed fats are good for you. Competitive bodybuilders will often eat around70% fat coming up to a competition in order to lose bodyfat. Fat in combination with sugar (like, say, doughnuts) is a nutritional disaster. Fat in combination with protein, like eggs or steak or salmon, is a major boost for your body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

A low carb diet is not a pre-requisite to getting rid of a muffin top. Not in the slightest. Not a big fan of the low-carb diets myself tbh.

My own experience is though, that tummy fat is the very last of the fat to get shifted.
    Faith wrote:

I've found that calorie restriction in general reduces my ability to concentrate (my geeky job relies on concentrating). If you have important exams coming up, I'd suggest avoiding losing weight or doing it at a slow pace (half a kilo of fat a week maybe). Maybe focus on trying to improve your fitness?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

cozmik wrote: »

Interesting for those with diabetes but not really relevant at all otherwise.

Khannie wrote: »
    A low carb diet is not a pre-requisite to getting rid of a muffin top. Not in the slightest. Not a big fan of the low-carb diets myself tbh.

My own experience is though, that tummy fat is the very last of the fat to get shifted.

That's the point. I (and a lot of other people) have found that on a good low carb diet, the belly is one of the first places to shrink. The bum and thighs still take hugh amounts of work, but you can trim up your waist and belly very quickly.

I've used a low carb diet to try to shift fat in the past. I just don't like it. I like carbs. I'm not a carb maniac or anything. I just don't like restricting them out of my diet is all.

I'm not sure that the type of calories you take in would affect where you shift fat from though. Maybe it's just that we have different body types?

I'm not sure that the type of calories you take in would affect where you shift fat from though. Maybe it's just that we have different body types?

Being of different sexes is part of it, also different body types (endo-, ecto- and mesomorph) are more likely to lose and gain fat in certain places, and yes macronutrient break down can influence fat distribution too (mainly due to carbs, insulin sensitivity and visceral vs. subcutaneous fat deposits - long story v short, the more carbs, the more insulin, the more likely the fat will stick around your middle).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

I'm just wondering, when people say a low-carb diet are you just talking about bread, potatoes, pasta and rice or are there other things you avoid too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

First thing to avoid in a restricted carbohydrate diet is sugar. No deserts, soft drinks, sweets, chocolate etc. Then bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, cereals. There are also very sugary things you might think healthy: baked beans, grapes, bananas, most dried fruit and fruit juices. Most fruits are okay (unless you're on an extremely low carb diet) in moderation: apples, citrus fruits etc.

As EileenG keeps saying here, in terms of most meals, just replace your spuds/rice etc. with green veg. I'd say also, stop buying anything that says "low-fat" (god I hate that term) on it.
    If you're not looking to lose weight then you can use plenty of olive oil and eat plenty of nuts. Walnuts, cashews (not salted), almonds, brazil, pecans, hazel are all good. Peanuts, though low carb, suck healthwise IMO.

A restricted carbohydrate diet will do wonders for your digestion, cholesterol, energy (by keeping your blood sugar levels steady), and very much reduce your risk of heart disease, diabetes and many related illnesses.

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    Peanuts, though low carb, suck healthwise IMO.

Do tell more please.
    g'em wrote: »
    the more carbs, the more insulin, the more likely the fat will stick around your middle).

Interesting. I stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

ApeXaviour wrote:
    First thing to avoid in a restricted carbohydrate diet is sugar. No deserts, soft drinks, sweets, chocolate etc.

Really, ok didn't know that. Obviously these things aren't good for you but I didn't know they would be considered carbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Do tell more please.
    Okay when I say peanuts suck, I mean relatively. If I was hungry and given the choice between staying hungry, eating peanuts or say.. a danish. The peanuts would win hands down.
    In terms of nuts though, they're pretty crap . Firstly I'm pretty sure they've the worst omega3 to omega 6 ratio. Then worse, they're actually legumes, not nuts, and are full of lectin antinutrients (a kind of very large protein/carbohydrate molecule) that are very atherogenic (i.e. gives arterial plaques and heart disease). Peanut oil is so atherogenic that it's actually given to lab animals to stimulate atherosclerosis for the purpose of studying the disease.
    JustCoz wrote: »
    Really, ok didn't know that. Obviously these things aren't good for you but I didn't know they would be considered carbs
    Carbohydrates or Saccharides are just sugars of differing complexity. You've monosaccharides, the simplest form: glucose, fructose. Then you've disaccharides like maltose and sucrose (table sugar), and then polysaccharides which usually are in a starchy form like that of spuds/rice/bread/pasta. They are all the same thing, at least they all end up being the same thing in your gut. Eating a big pile of mash potato is just like eating a few tablespoons of sugar just really slowly. It's just as bad for you.

Carbohydrates are the only non-essential macronutrient, as in we can live just fine completely without them.

EDIT: just catching up with the beginning of this thread:
    EileenG wrote: »
    I've read that in a few places too. I've certainly noticed the belly/love-handle area being a lot.... we'll say more aesthetic. Even though I've not lost any weight (not trying to).

Advertisement