Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Zealand in 6 weeks

• 06-04-2008 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm heading to New Zealand for 6 weeks (May 24th to July 5th Anyone who'll be in NZ while I'm there feel free to pm me)

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where to go/what to see etc, also info stopovers on the way to and from NZ , I've been told to try to get to Fiji or Hawaii if I can - again advice on this will be greatly appreciated

Would anyone recommend hiring a car and driving round both islands? Or is it better to prebook tours..

I'm meeting friends and will be travelling with them for about 2 weeks, but the rest of the time I'll be on my own. Going to see the All Blacks play Ireland in Wellington - anyone else who might be at the game feel free to pm me!

Looking for recommendations on hostels/tours/transport everything basically!! Lol any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭badolepuddytat

Hi Aine1980,

I'm planning a trip there later this summer also, only looking into flights etc now though (who did you book with btw?). Friends have recommended a tour company called stray that are supposed to be pretty good and fun, catering for a slightly older than the '18 y/o gap year' market. I'd love to hear how you get on, I have family near Wellington so will base myself there and travel north and south from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭aine1980

I booked Dublin to LA with Aer Lingus and LA to Auckland with Air New Zealand it worked out about 1200 euro which wasn't too bad.. I've been through Asia before so decided on different route this time.

I've heard of Stray will definitely look them up, thanks!

Wish I had family anywhere in NZ lol it'd be handy to have a base alright. I'm meeting some friends and we're hiring a camper van so that should be funny :)

If you want to pm me I'll keep you posted on how I get on over there

Thanks again
    Aine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

The best way to see NZ is in your own car, you'll still meet other ppl in hostels/campsites at night-time.

Spend 4 of 6 wks in the South Island, dont miss Q'town, Fox or Franz glacier, the drive to Glenorchy from Qtown, Milford Sound ( even do the walk if u book ur place in time ), do the Able Tasman 3 day walk and drop by Nelson and kaikora if u want to swim with dolphins.

hi, thanks for the info are there any campsites in particular that you'd recommend or are they all pretty good?

i'm planning on having a week in auckland and 3 days in wellington, the bulk of my time will be on south island so hopefully i'll get everything i want to do into that time, i think most of the places you've mentioned below are on my 'wish list'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

The BBH accomodation card is fantastic! Can't remember how much it costs, but it's well worth it!! The hostels they recommend are lovely, and you get a quide with honest reviews on hostels all around the country. We used BBH exclusively and weren't dissapointed.

http://www.bbh.co.nz/

• Advertisement

No campsites to recommend but in NZ farmers are very friendly, in theory most would allow u to camp on their land for free. Me and a mate did this for a few weeks, used to wake up to some awesome views out of the tent. Often the wife would invite us in for tea and even dinner, especially in remote places in the south Island.
    The pay campsites though all have excellent facilities, often with common rooms with TV,kitchen etc. Kiwis love to camp so you'll meet the real salt of the earth types in campsites, very friendly and hospitable.
    On the Able Tasman walk you can camp pretty much any beach u like ( just dont leave any trace- its a national park ). We had a small little secluded beach all to ourselves where me and the GF engaged in some sunset skinny dipping ! Classy:D

Sorry Aine, just realised u are going there in June- its winter and camping in the mountains in the south Island is not recommended- you'll freeze. Up north though is still an option as its more sub tropical

Oh and a week in Auckland might be a little too long ( unless u are visiting friends there? )Head further north to the top of NZ, some fab beaches up that way. Also dont miss Piha beach just outside Auckland- its black volcanic sand but a very scenic place right near the city.

the week in auckland is for getting over jetlag which shouldn't take too long but also so i can base myself there while doing tours/rent a car etc to go to the likes of piha and 90 mile beach, plus i'm meeting friends there

winter on south island camping wasn't on the agenda!! maybe if i go back to do the yr working out there i'll go do that trip in the summer when camping would be more enjoyable!!

thanks so much for the tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

Get a camper van or car u can make it round easy that way, definitely hit queenstown, went for few days skiing there, was total novice loved it

• Advertisement

Get a camper van or car u can make it round easy that way, definitely hit queenstown, went for few days skiing there, was total novice loved it

I was thinking of getting a camper have been told that the "top 10" campsites are good standard and you can use them if you have a camper or if you've rented a car.

Has anyone used them ?? Also as it's winter when i'm going to be there, anyone got any recommendations about driving in their winter??

aine1980 wrote: »

I was thinking of getting a camper have been told that the "top 10" campsites are good standard and you can use them if you have a camper or if you've rented a car.

Has anyone used them ?? Also as it's winter when i'm going to be there, anyone got any recommendations about driving in their winter??

You should be fine driving there in the winter. It generally doesnt snow below 3000 ft. Be careful on the pass between Wanaka and Qtown - it can snow up that way but there is an alternative route. Also driving to Mount Cook can sometimes involve snow.
    If you want to drive up to any of the ski resorts you might need snow chains, check the signs at the entrances or listen to local radio for reports. Otherwise you should be fine.

You can certainly use campsites with a campervan and its a good way to go, plenty of other travellers will be doing the same. Campsites are certainly good quality with excellent facilities and information about the area you are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭badolepuddytat

Hi Aine1980, this thread has gotten me so psyched for my trip! I found this 'nz starter pack' online that might give you (and me!) some pointers for getting there and getting around
    http://www.travelpod.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1706
    You'll have figured out a lot of it but there are some good links included in it. Enjoy your preparations!

that's great badolepuddytat, thanks a mil, i'm going to have a look at it now

aine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dpNZ

I'd check out

Rotorua
    Taupo
    Coromandel Peninsula
    Bay of Islands
    Queenstown

The best way to see NZ would be by car for sure, public transport isnt the greatest in NZ, especially in auckland which is car-central. They have just come off the best summer in a decade so youll be heading into winter, but that shouldnt really matter

Advertisement