Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommedation for a fantasy novel

Options
  • 06-04-2008 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi there,
    just finished my latest book and looking for suggestions for a new one to read!

So far i've read,
    Robert Jordan: the wheel of time series..
    Everything by Terry Brooks,
    Everything by Anne Rice,
    and quite a few by David Gemmall,
    the prince of nothing series by R. Scott Bakker

Just finished 'The Magician' by Raymond E Feist.

I'm not into Terry Pratchet at all.

Any suggestions on what I should read next? Ideally I'd like a series...(i;ll be getting the other books in the rift war saga..but just to tide me over till then!)

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. The final book was released only weeks ago and I was blown away by it. The first book is called The Blade Itlself, followed by Before They Are Hanged and Last Arguement of Kings.

Also the regular replies should include A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin starting with A Game of Thrones and the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson starting with Gardens of the Moon. Neither of these are finished series but both are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

A song of Ice and Fire is certainly a very good series, I don't normally read fantasy series but i got a present of "A Game of Thrones" for christmas and I really liked it. And there are recommendations of 'The Magician' on the inside cover , so maybe the books are similar .(although that is very faulty logic)

Under no circumstances read any of the Terry Goodkind series, as reading some of these gave me a very low view of fantasy novels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

im in the middle of reading the last in pilip pullmans thriogly , I can highly recommened them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

cheers everyone!
    Given me a few to think about. A trip to my local book shop is called for asap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

raah! wrote: »
    A song of Ice and Fire is certainly a very good series
    +1

On Feist the Empire books are his best after Magician.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

If you like fantasy then yuo must read the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson.

I think the first trilogy is the pinnacle of the genre - after I read them all other fantasy seemed like childish nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

Into similar books myself, loved Robert Jordan and The Magician,
    but Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen" is without peer in the entire fantasy genre

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RodVelvet

Might be worth looking into a couple of the series by David Eddings.Latest series isn't up to much but the ones with Sparhawk are well worth getting into

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

seaner wrote: »
    cheers everyone!
    Given me a few to think about. A trip to my local book shop is called for asap!
    Indeed it is - as long as you buy Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, and Pullman's His Dark Materials!! :D

The Magician Trilogy is okay, but doesn't clean the boots of George RR Martin's stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Anything by Neil Gaiman.

What I've read....

1. American Gods - Released from prison, Shadow finds his world turned upside down. His wife has been killed; a mysterious stranger offers him a job. But Mr. Wednesday, who knows more about Shadow than is possible, warns that a storm is coming -- a battle for the very soul of America . . . and they are in its direct path.
    2. Neverwhere
    3. Stardust
    4. Anansi Boys

Brilliant Books.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

deman wrote: »
    1. American Gods - Released from prison, Shadow finds his world turned upside down. His wife has been killed; a mysterious stranger offers him a job. But Mr. Wednesday, who knows more about Shadow than is possible, warns that a storm is coming -- a battle for the very soul of America . . . and they are in its direct path.
    I read about half of this and just got bored. Maybe the second half is better but the first half just drifted.

Surprised me as I expected to like it.

Dades wrote: »
    I read about half of this and just got bored. Maybe the second half is better but the first half just drifted.

Surprised me as I expected to like it.

I've read American Gods and Neverwhere as well as some of Sandman. Gaiman is a good writer with good ideas. He's solid and dependable but he just isn't that good. You're guaranteed something that won't be crap, but it won't be exceptional. People hype him way too much. I expected much better the first time I read him as well but I just got on with the slog and I ended up appreciating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Sandor wrote: »
    I've read American Gods and Neverwhere as well as some of Sandman. Gaiman is a good writer with good ideas. He's solid and dependable but he just isn't that good. You're guaranteed something that won't be crap, but it won't be exceptional. People hype him way too much. I expected much better the first time I read him as well but I just got on with the slog and I ended up appreciating it.

Yeah I read American Gods and Anansi Boys and was not that impressed, decent books but nothing special. I think Gaimen should stick to graphic novels, the Sandman graphic novels are far superior to his normal novels. I think the Sandman is especially a credit to Gaimen since the artwork if fairly crap and I still loved all the comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I espicially love the David Eddings series The Belgariad. Its a five parter and is well worth the buying and reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

all of raymond feist's stuff , as someone else has said it starts with Magician.

The older David Eddings stuff , belgariad and the Malloreon.

Any of the old Conan stuff was good too.

the old one with the Tanu and the Firvulag and Aiken Drum [ can't be arsed to remember the title ] was good crack too.

robert lumley's Necroscope stuff was good fantasy too if a bit toward the horror end of things.

Same for lovecraft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

deman wrote: »
    Anything by Neil Gaiman.
    Dades wrote: »
    I read about half of this and just got bored.
    Sandor wrote: »
    He's solid and dependable but he just isn't that good.
    Sconsey wrote: »
    Yeah I read American Gods and Anansi Boys and was not that impressed

I'll get me coat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭andgoodbye

Anything by Feist, I like the Serpentwar saga the best!
    Philip Pullman, His dark materials,
    Garth Nix, The keys to the kingdom, Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen.

You gotta try Pratchett, man! It's all good!

Robert rankin, the armageddon trilogy among others,

Harry potter :p It's amazing, little known series xD
    Anne rice,
    The halo books! Especially the ones by Eric Nylund!
    They might sound iffy but give em a try!

Well that's my fifty cent in :L

andgoodbye wrote: »
    Anything by Feist, I like the Serpentwar saga the best!
    Philip Pullman, His dark materials,
    Garth Nix, The keys to the kingdom, Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen.

You gotta try Pratchett, man! It's all good!

Robert rankin, the armageddon trilogy among others,

Harry potter :p It's amazing, little known series xD
    Anne rice,
    The halo books! Especially the ones by Eric Nylund!
    They might sound iffy but give em a try!

Well that's my fifty cent in :L

Stay AWAY from tie-in books with out exception unless you're fanatical about Halo, Resident Evil etc. Don't touch them. Seriously.
    Harry Potter is not very good. I don't want to piss on other peoples recs but seriously, it's for children. I've read the first few and they're not written that well, (and being kids books is no excuse), and they're fairly formuleic. If you want some pulp reading then I'd agree with Discworld. Also The Dresden Files are good fun reads. Discworld starts with The Colour of Magic and Dresden starts with Storm Front.
    One other thing, far too many recommendations for Feist. I get the feeling people recing him haven't actually read any good fantasy.. :o
    Also, Anne Rice? Interview was average to readalbe but after most of what she's written is terrible, moody, softcore tripe.

I think the best thing to do is simply to read Ice and Fire. Everything after that will be a downhill struggle! :p

Advertisement