Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

scratched xbox game

• 06-04-2008 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

had a few mates over today and after a nice dinner and a few bottles of wine
    I stuck scene it in the xbox and proceeded to lift it looking for the port to
    connect the sensor. Cue a load of noise and 1 scratched disk. Not even loading
    to the main screen. Can I send the disk back to the publishing co. or am I fcuked?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If you lifted the Xbox itself it is probably your fault in the eyes of the manufacturer (and I'd be careful moving an Xbox at all, let alone when its on - damn things are liable to either break or break something else! :pac:). But you can always try your luck and see if they'll change it. But I wouldn't be too hopeful. Sorry!

(PS - you can always try one of those youtube disc fixing 'tricks' - at worst you'll end up with a broken disc that smells of banana).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,225 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The toothpaste trick works perfectly. I've been using it on discs for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

o1s1n wrote: »
    The toothpaste trick works perfectly. I've been using it on discs for years.

elaborate please? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Rainyface

Was in Game in Liffey Valley recently and I saw they were advertosing to fix scratched Games/Cd's etc for a few quid.
    Might be worth a try!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Never move the 360 when its on with a disc in it. But try toothpaste, has always worked for me strangely enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I'm really curious about the toothpaste thingy - how does that help the Disc? Do you use a toothbrush or a cloth to apply it?

(Would Listerene help protect it for longer? :) - sorry, bad joke I know, but I would geniunely like to understand the Toothpaste fixes DVD secnario)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Get a clean cloth(new preferably), put a pea-sized amount of toothpaste on it and just rub around the CD

Master of the Universe

Sorry, forgot about this thread.

Do not rub around the disc as someone just said. They also seem to do that in some youtube videos. If you do this, you're just working areas of the disc that are fine.

You want to find the scratch that's messing it up. Apply a bit of toothpaste (pea size) to a cloth (Socks work well) and rub it into the scratch. Try and do it from centre to edge. Don't go around in a circle as that's how it reads a disc if you get me.

As far as I know, there are mild abrasives in toothpaste, so they actually burn some of the cd layer off where the scratch is.

Don't over do it though. You're better off doing it a little bit, washing the disc, trying it in the machine...and if it doesnt work, go again.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Your fault, there is a sticker on the dvd tray saying not to move it while the console is plugged in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭sir snackbox

them disk repairing services that some places do... like GAME (like yer man said above)and places like that work a treat!!!

disks come out looking as good as new!!!!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

them disk repairing services that some places do... like GAME (like yer man said above)and places like that work a treat!!!

disks come out looking as good as new!!!!

I can see it now, a sweatshop full of guys with socks and toothpaste ;)

How much do they charge per disc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

They basically polish the disc with abrasive discs. Takes a layer or so of the many plastic layers off the readable side of the disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭sir snackbox

^^^^^^^.... thats exactly what it does!!!!

it will set you back 499 of your pennys in GAME as far as i know... but ive heard some places do it cheaper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Don't JML do a 'Disc Medic' thinngummyjig that means you can do this at home?

EDIT: Found it on their site, including the cheezy JML Video for it. All for only 9.99 - Here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

This is along the lines of the machine we used to use in the old job.

Commercial Disk Resurfacer Image

They're pretty heavy duty compared to the JML thingy. I doubt the JML can actually take a layer of plastic off the disc...???

Cost a fair whck too €1.5 - 2k. Does a bloody good job though! ... .. . can't fix cracks though :D
    ^^^^^^^.... thats exactly what it does!!!!

it will set you back 499 of your pennys in GAME as far as i know... but ive heard some places do it cheaper!

Lets hope GAME etc use something like this. I'd be pissed if they we're using the JML thing and charging a Fiver!

Advertisement