Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas heating

• 06-04-2008 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

I just moved into CLW and i am having trouble with the gas heating. The problem is that in order to get hot water i need to turn on the gas (was advised to do so rather than using immersion), which then blasts heat from the radiators within a few mins but the water is still only warm, not hot at all.

Surely i can get hot water without having to turn gas on full blast then go to each room and turn radiators all off so im not dripping in sweat, again!

I know this has been discussed before but researching here on boards i can only find stuff from 2006

Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

If you go to your hot press and look at the back of the hot water tank, there should be a white thermostate..
    You can turn this up and then just have you radiators on a wee bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 larbis

Alternatively you can turn the thermostat by the downstairs bathroom down to zero and this should keep the radiators off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

you should be able to select between, 'hot water only', and 'heating and hotwater' on the boiler. the heating symbol is usually looks like a 'radiator'.

also if you have thermostatic valves fitted to your radiators, they will shut in autmatically when the room hits your desired temperature, and save your a few quid in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

larbis wrote: »
    Alternatively you can turn the thermostat by the downstairs bathroom down to zero and this should keep the radiators off..

Its an apartment, so i guess it would be the thermostat on the wall in the hall beside the boiler?

Also i dont think the boiler or the gas unit has an option of 'hot water only' or 'heating only'.

Thanks for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

jamegg wrote: »
    Its an apartment, so i guess it would be the thermostat on the wall in the hall beside the boiler?

Also i dont think the boiler or the gas unit has an option of 'hot water only' or 'heating only'.

Thanks for the replies
    the boiler should have the option to switch between water only and full heating, it you only have one thermostat in the apratment, then turn it down to the lowest settign, if you want to stop the heat pumping out from the rads.

I would get on to the landlord / property manager to provide instruction booklet for the boiler, ask them to explain if the boiler has the "hot water" on demand function. The piping may not be configured correctly to just provide hot water without the heating.

Most plumbers in this country do not plum the boilers to provide on the demand hot water, they think that we should heat a full tank of water for every shower!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 decokiernan

Which apartments are you in? Seabourne view has 2 thermostats and 2 controllers. One for heating and one for hot water. Both independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Im in the 2 bed Apts. in CL Wood, There is a thermostat on the wall beside the hotpress door and that is turned all the way down.

On the gas unit in the sitting room (the massive box that looks so out of place!) i turned the gas on and the thermo on the unit all the way up...... result was that heating blasted out and water was only warm not hot.

PS i live in Derry now so have not been home since i started this thread to fiddle about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mr Matt

:mad:In the Duplexes in Charlesland Wood... there is only a single thermostat on the immersion tank and one on the boiler.

just found out the one on the immersion... the actual thermostat probe isnt even connected into the tank... how its measuring heat is a question!

Charlesland wood is very very shody construction..... cracks everywhere in the walls.... thermostats not connected

Lucky i only rent this place and not own!!:mad:

Just to add to the shodyness of the construction

Had the radiator in the bathroom spring a leak from the welds on the actual bars on the towel rails...

Apparently the builders have been having to replace them as they burst...

reason is that the water in the area is very heavy.... causing all the pipes to rust internally and wearing away..... so high probability is.... will have to eventually replace all the heaters and piping... nothing is meant to last i guess.... but wonder if will get the return on the investment....

Charlesland Wood duplexs.... so glad i dont own!! and probably wont be renting here for much longer! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Mr Matt wrote: »
    cracks everywhere in the walls.... thermostats not connected... i only rent

Sounds like another investor would didn't do a proper snaglist before buying...blame your landlord...as for the cracks-I'm sure all these are cracks from bedding down that should have been dealt towards the end of the defects liability period...Landlord again not taking the opportunity to protect his investment.
    Mr Matt wrote: »
    the water in the area is very heavy

Like, about 1kg for every litre?!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Most plumbers in this country do not plum the boilers to provide on the demand hot water, they think that we should heat a full tank of water for every shower!

You cant have hot water on demand with the boilers in Charesland.unless you have invented something to do so.

You can have hot water on demand if you have a combination boiler fitted.

Bido:rolleyes:

Yup... landlord is off internationally spending up having a great time on my rent money i guess...

but the value of this place will just keep going down...

Which is a sad thing cause the place is a very nice area... like charlesland....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 decokiernan

Its very enlightening to speak with the Maintenance Man for the apartments. He will tell you how only the first 2 blocks of apartments were connected correctly in terms of heating and water.

I recently discovered that the top up tap wasnt connected to the heating so the pressure couldnt be topped up when needed.

Thanks to him for fixing for free.

Basically he says the duplexes are a pile of crap and he spends most of his day fixing cracks and heating systems.

Same goes for the houses.

We viewed 4 houses in C'Land and found this to be true.

Its very enlightening to speak with the Maintenance Man for the apartments. He will tell you how only the first 2 blocks of apartments were connected correctly in terms of heating and water.

I recently discovered that the top up tap wasnt connected to the heating so the pressure couldnt be topped up when needed.

Thanks to him for fixing for free.

Basically he says the duplexes are a pile of crap and he spends most of his day fixing cracks and heating systems.

Same goes for the houses.

We viewed 4 houses in C'Land and found this to be true.

I'd say the maintenance guys have a job for life.... as long as they keep paying i guess

tonnes of work to be done here.... even grouting in tiles is shoddy... instead of using silicone to join where the bath meets the tile walls.... they just piled heaps of grouting... it looks a mess..

Like living here in Charlesland... Wife loves it too... but the quality of build and things.... its horrible.... such be life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭zookey

hi can anyone tell me if by keeping my heating temperature setting on low and to have it on longer would be more economical to run rather than have it on high and switching off and on all day , which is more economical with best benefits... thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

this i think is a very good question....

I live in the crescent and can never figure this one out.

We only have one thermostat for rads and water, although we've a radiator switch off and thermostats on each radiator.

I would normally run it like this:
    Boiler thermo up to 75% for 30 mins in the morning, this heats the apartment and gives enough hot water for a decent shower.
    Same in the evening if its cold, for half an hour to an hour.

bills normally work out about €100 every two months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,084 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Moved to DIY forum

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement