Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Language support/resource/special needs

• 06-04-2008 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I am interested in teaching outside of the classroom in something like resource work/special needs/language support. My primary degree is in French/German with English in First year.
    I have been teaching part-time in Sec school and in VEC (2 years full time in VEC only 10 hours this year tho in Adult Ed and Youthreach!) since 98 following a few years in industry. I dont have a H Dip.

My kids are all in school now so am looking for something permanent and def something that will guarantee me a job as I am sick to death of the insecurity. I also hate hostility and discipline issues with mainstream sec. Have I any chance of getting something outside of classrooms in Sec Schools. How would I go about getting a Special Needs Diploma? From asking around the MAry I one seems to be open to teachers only?
    If I did Hibernia primary(and the cost and time frames def puts me off a bit) what are my chances of getting a job outside the classroom straight away or would I need to spend a few years in the classroom? Any advice would be very much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not sure why you think you'd be outside the classroom in those positions. The big push from the DES nowadays is to integrate kids who need extra help, so you'd be in the classroom giving support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Sineadg

What I meant was that I would like not to be in the traditional classroom setting where I would be facing 25 + students but rather teaching individuals or small groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hi Sinead,

Hours for Resource teaching mighn't be that great starting off (esp if there are other sna/resourceteachers already in the school).But you'll find they pick up as the term goes on and new students are assigned hours..Chances are those students will stay with you till the LC or JC too for the following terms...

For a list of courses check out the teaching council website
    teachingcouncil DOT ie
    then
    Registration Information section
    then
    Qualifications
    then
    Post-Primary
    then go down to the bottom of the page under 2 Appendices sections
    Learning Support/Resource Teachers Appendix
    &
    Special Needs Assistant

Both have a list of courses (most are 1 year i think)

Meanwhile you could do an online course in various topics with icepe.eu
    it won't give you automatic qualification but looks good on CV with other qualifications..next course is from 1st july to August (Costs 300 euros,, 150 if your down as a teacher in a school)

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Sineadg

Thanks a mil for that. A great link. Just had a look at the site so must get on to the colleges now that I havent already contacted and get details. Would really love to get into something like that.

Advertisement