Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Punk - adding to or taking away fro Trad?

Options
  • 06-04-2008 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I've been listening for a wee while now to the likes of Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphy's and wondered what the take is on these bands, from the traditional point of view?

Do you think they add to traditional Irish music by bringing it to a wider audience or is it the bastard child of Trad and Punk, to be ignored and left to die?

Generally, these bands seem to be Irish-American although I know Blood and Whisky are Irish. How do you feel about the genre?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

once its taken for what it is
    something new and fresh - nowhere near the traditional trad music

good music in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

its been around for a while, sure look at horslips and pogues.
    when liam og flynn joined planxty, he was ostracised by many in the more conservative traditional community.
    some people wouldnt have gotten into trad, or even learning trad instruments if it wasnt for some of these crossover types.
    a friend of mine who wouldnt normally have anything to do with "diddley" music, recently asked me to show him the uilleann pipes and was very interested in them all because of a death metal band called "nightwish" who use uilleann pipes in some of their tracks.

but still, i dont think either genre really has any effect on the other. fairly different animals altogether.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

All music evolves and changes if you ask me. Definitley not a detriment to trad music, if you ask me.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Flogging Molly got me into trad, so I think they must be a good thing.
    (Bastards coming to Ireland during my leaving cert though, I'm not sure I can forgive them.)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Flogging Molly got me into trad, so I think they must be a good thing.
    (Bastards coming to Ireland during my leaving cert though, I'm not sure I can forgive them.)
    I'd be more inclined to blame your leaving cert..!

I guess broader tastes and bigger audiences is a good thing rather than a bad thing for trad, or any sort of music really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I love it.

Trad music is great and all, but when I'm in the mood, nothing beats a Dropkick Murphys concert.

Ever hear the Tossers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXroP_zJFYo (bad sound quality though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA9HRI2JauM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Orbghost

Well I wouldn't know much about those bands mentioned but I've come across many traditionalist and I find their attitude bizarre.

Music is always progressing. Traditional music's best quality is that it is open to interpretation. That is why it exists today because it was handed down and passed on organically.

To suddenly shut any form of progression off and place it in a box and have a set of unelected egotistic farts rule the thing is a sure way to kill the music dead in a blink of an eye.

These are the kind of people who think the Guitar has no place in traditional music. Accompaniment should be on accordion.

Firstly the Accordion is not a traditional Irish instrument and nor is the fiddle, flute and so that argument is completely stupid.
    The guitar, Bouzouki, string chorded based instrument accompaniment has introduced so much more to augment traditional music. It can go in places the accordion cannot and vice versa. What is wrong with variation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Stiv

flanum wrote: »
    a friend of mine who wouldnt normally have anything to do with "diddley" music, recently asked me to show him the uilleann pipes and was very interested in them all because of a death metal band called "nightwish" who use uilleann pipes in some of their tracks.
    Nightwish ain't death metal, they operatic power metal. But yeah, traditional Irish forms have been creeping in to heavy metal for some time now, both through homegrown bands like Primordial and through foreign bands like Eluveitie actually using trad instruments to enhance their textures.

I can understand why many people oppose the imposition of rock music and other pop forms into trad (I fear some people would pop a vein if they heard Marxman or the Infomatics), if only because it's not to everybody's taste, but I think it's just intellectually dishonest to dismiss it as a lesser form of music simply because it doesn't appeal to your sensibilities.

Although I maintain that Dropkick Murphys are just crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I met a German band in Galway on Paddys day who play Irish trad punk.

There's also a Dutch Celtic Punk band called Finnegan's Lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GhettoSoldier

I never heard of flogging molly, or dropkicks until recently, so just goes to show how popular and known they are here.

So far I'm not really liking what I've heard from them.

Nothing will ever beat the originals, The Fureys, Christy Moore, The Dubliners etc. The true Irish men with the REAL Irish accent straight from Ireland, thats what we call trad. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Stiv

Well Dave King, Flogging Molly's singer, is from Ireland with the REAL Irish accent and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I met a German band in Galway on Paddys day who play Irish trad punk.

It wasn't the "Connemara Stone Company", was it? Did they sing "Give us a Stout"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 munster30

Just came across Dropkicks on The Departed, and also on the Simpsions the other week, have to say I'm shipping up to Boston is class, but what's there other stuff like,, any recommendations to dowload

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

munster30 wrote: »
    Just came across Dropkicks on The Departed, and also on the Simpsions the other week, have to say I'm shipping up to Boston is class, but what's there other stuff like,, any recommendations to dowload

I don't know enough of their stuff, check out youtube or PM the boards.ie user 'dulpit' (without quote marks). Dulpit is a fan of DM :) Dulpit is also a member of BAPS Government so I trust him implicitly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bob N Along

I saw the Dropkicks backing up the Pogues in the POint a couple of years ago and thought they were excellent - really lively. I saw Shane McGowan and the Popes a few years back in Galway where Shane arrived on stage in a wheel chair and performed the entire gig sitting down. He had fallen down some steps running for a plane the week before. Flogging Molly are huge at the moment over in the States. I played in a celtic rock band a good few years ago, we were instrumental with the front man on galician pipes - sort of like simpler bag pipes which originate from the Galicia Region of Spain. We took influence from Celtic music from other places across Europe and not just Irish. So basically I think diversity and experimentation and so on add to create more interesting styles of music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Eoghanacht

munster30 wrote: »

I started listening to the Dropkick Murphys when they released their first album Do or Die with the original singer. This was an excelent album all the rest of their releases from there are pure s hite.

I can't stand Flogging Molly.

These bands love Ireland so much that they'd do anything for it but live in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

The Pogues got me into traditional music as well so I've always loved them. What they did with 150 year old whaling songs was incredible, they made them popular again!!!

Flogging molly I always liked too, I find Dave Kings lyrics very potent, you always feel that he's been there and done it no matter what he's singing about. As regards, DKM, pure muck. What kills me about them is that they have so many lovely instruments and you can't hear them. I also saw them in the point and all you could hear was an incoherent blur of bass drums and general noise. You can't hear their music and their lead singer can't sing.

You look at Shane MacGowan at least he could sing. I challenge anyone to try and sing a few pogues songs and you'll soon find out he had a lot of talent when it game to singing. Personally I like them because of the music which is what trad is all about. Thats probably why I don't like DKM too now that i think about it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Eoghanacht

Black 47 play music like the D M + F M although they been doing if for longer. I think the singer is from Wexford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

A video gathering of Irish folk-punkie types:

http://www.****enonions.com/video_frame.html

Unfortunately, the long scissors of the thou-shalt-not Big Brothers has made the link unusable, but I'm sure you can guess the missing word from the anagram "tish" and then copy and paste into your browser.

Advertisement