Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Safety for Children

Options
  • 06-04-2008 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

We spend quite a bit of time teaching our kids about the dangers of roads and how to cross the road.

Over the weekend, Mam & our 4 year old were in a local village. The 4 year old stopped to pet a dog and then saw his friend on the other side of the street. He went charging across a very busy road, throwing aside everything we taught him. Mam went charging after him. We don't know if there was traffic on the road at the time - everything happened too fast and Mam is still in shock over it, very very upset but can't remember very much.

But nothing happened - 4 Year old and Mam are fine.

But is anyone aware of road safety videos, dvd's, web sites that help press the road safety message home to kids.

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Brendan Grace and a class of school children recently brought out an updated "Safe Cross Code" Remember 1 look for a safe place etc. I think the Road Safety Authority would have it.

I'm in my almost mid 40's and can still remember it from when it came out when I was a school kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Yikes...

4/5 is quite a dangerous age. I've had similar scares which have made me realise, that just because they can talk very well and seem so mature in other ways, they are still only kids susceptible to this kind of thing. There's education, but in the end, you just have to hold their hands.

The other side of this is Granny and Grandad. I remember reading one of my wife's books on toddlers... it may have been something I was told to read :-) But one of the greatest risks we can take as parents is placing our kids in the care of Granny and Grandad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

di11on wrote: »
    The other side of this is Granny and Grandad. I remember reading one of my wife's books on toddlers... it may have been something I was told to read :-) But one of the greatest risks we can take as parents is placing our kids in the care of Granny and Grandad!

Well, that's more or less the entire Japanese population damned then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Deisemum - I think we are about the same age - I remember Brendan Grace singing that. I remember it being played everyday on the tv before the 6 o'clock news.

Indeed, thank you Luckat for the link. We played it last night before bedtime. You would have enjoyed our breakfast table this morning. They were all singing it and carrying out the analysis that only a 4, 3 and 1 and a 36 year old (Mammy) would do afterwards, about the dangers of the road.

But if it keeps them all safe, I'll sing anything at 6.30am.

Thank You all.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm nearly 44 lol

Yeah it was always on the tv around teatime.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Snap !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I've had a weird morning.

I was reading this thread having a coffee before I woke my girl for school. The Safe Cross Code song was in my head, so while I was bathing her I was belting it out, and we had a good laugh singing it together.

So it pouring rain here, and she had to cross the road in our little cul-de-sac to get her lift to school. She had her raincoat on and I told her to hold onto her hood, so it wouldn't blow down. I was watching from our doorway. Its about 15 yards from door to door. As she was passing the rear of a parked car, the lights came on and it started to reverse, but she couldn't see with her hood, so I roared and she looked at me and ran. She hadn't seen the car, and the driver hadn't seen her. She got an awful fright, but thank God is fine. So she came home and got lots of cuddles and more importantly a hat. No more hoods. The driver should have been more vigilant, who starts a car and reverses without looking?

I know myself I hate wearing hoods crossing the road as it can be difficult to see, it never crossed my mind about my daughters. Funny thing is I always make sure theres a hood on her coats. Not any more.

Advertisement