Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn me somthin good!

Options
  • 06-04-2008 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I'm pretty much guaranteed to be up for another 8 hours or so, and with little to do, so I decided something constructive would be best! I've been freelancing web dev for under two years, I've a good handle on php/mysql good xhtml and css capabilities and I've toyed with RoR, js and ajax.

My question to you all is this: what would you recommend I spend my time on to further myself, keep me up with the times? I'll spend the night on it and post back with my progress in the morning!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭conorgriff

Flash ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

LOLCODE or perhaps some Perl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

conorgriff wrote:
    flash;o)

You know you're dead right, and it's been on my mind for some time now but I've put it off! Would I be right in saying there's a serious learning curve with flash? And can you recommend any good resources from a web development point of view?
    Cremo wrote:
    LOLCODE or perhaps some perl

LOLCODE? I'm assuming that's sarcasm? :)

Would you recommend perl? What advantages would I hold with it over other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭conorgriff

Haha well to be honest I don't know, it's on my todo list also. Check out www.lynda.com for some free introductory video tutorials and if you enjoy them then they charge for the more advanced. I think flash can certainly get complicated fairly quickly but that just depends on how much you want to use it for. If it's just to add a little something to a site it's probably not all that bad, good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

conorgriff wrote: »
    Haha well to be honest I don't know, it's on my todo list also. Check out www.lynda.com for some free introductory video tutorials and if you enjoy them then they charge for the more advanced. I think flash can certainly get complicated fairly quickly but that just depends on how much you want to use it for. If it's just to add a little something to a site it's probably not all that bad, good luck
    Ha, very good! Well less procrastination, hop to it, be proactive and good luck to you too! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement