Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about LC/Points-Grades-CAO

Options
  • 06-04-2008 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey guys (and gals),

I'm repeating my leaving cert this year and I'm doing 7 subjects. I've got a question to ask, but since our guidance counsellor is not in (probably buying a yacht or something) I thought I could try get an answer here. So if you can spare a second, thanks.

My question is, can I use the grades from this year with the points from last year when i make my application to uni? I've heard that it can be done the other way (use grades from last year + points from this year) but I just can't find any definitive source to tell me out straight.

The cao site and literature says that points are calculated from 1 sitting of the leaving cert. So to me, that means I can take my grades this year + points from last year.

But, I was wondering if anyone here has done something like this, and if it is indeed possible. Its quite crucial to me as the leaving is about 9 weeks away, and if this 'is' possible, it would mean I could drop 6 subjects! yeah.. 6!!!

Thanks in advance for your comments guys (and gals). ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Yes you can! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

you can use grades for matriculation from last year - i.e. basic needs to get into college or a course such as a pass in maths/irish

so you can do whatever subjects you like this year and your best 6 sat this year will count for points (as long as you get more than last year that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

figs86 wrote: »
    you can use grades for matriculation from last year - i.e. basic needs to get into college or a course such as a pass in maths/irish

so you can do whatever subjects you like this year and your best 6 sat this year will count for points (as long as you get more than last year that is)

She has the points. She wants to know can she use her points from last year and a grade from this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jay_08

she? lol

Anyway, yeah I'm looking to use the points I got last year with 1 grade from this year, i.e. maths. The only reason I'm repeating is because of maths. I got 350 pts last year (exc. maths) and hope to get a C1 in maths this year to get into my course. So if it can be done, I could drop the other 6 subjects I took this year.

Thanks for your comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Jay_08 wrote: »
    she? lol

Anyway, yeah I'm looking to use the points I got last year with 1 grade from this year, i.e. maths. The only reason I'm repeating is because of maths. I got 350 pts last year (exc. maths) and hope to get a C1 in maths this year to get into my course. So if it can be done, I could drop the other 6 subjects I took this year.

Thanks for your comments.

didn't you apply to the CAO already?
    If a C1 in maths is a requirement then you can use your points from either year which ever's highest and then you can use the subjects from both years

• Advertisement
Advertisement