Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiography Jobs

Options
  • 06-04-2008 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all

Just have a question for any radiographers out there! I'm a final year student of diagnostic radiography in the uk. I am hoping to get a job back in Ireland when I qualify in the summer, but, from what I can gather on the internet, the hospitals are imposing recruitment bans. How bad is the situation? Are there really going to be no jobs for newly qualified radiographers this year?

Also, where are jobs advertised? I've been checking the HSE website and individual hospital websites recently but have seen no basic grad posts advertised?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Heya, I'm final year in UCD.

To be honest it's really bad this year.

Only crumlin and temple street have advertised and Crumlin only interviewed for people with 3 years experience.

Most hospitals aren't adveritising as they don't actually know will they be allowed to recruit at all.

It's not great as teh new contracts are 8 - 8 which essentially means a 20k pay cut compared to people on the old contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Gallagher30

Thanks for the reply stepherunie

The situation does sound bad! I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that the situation will improve sooner rather than later!

Good luck with your job hunting too. Sounds like we'll both need all the luck we can get!!!

I'd say send in CVs at least.

There will be jobs, you just need to get your foot in teh door. Where are you thinking of looking?

There are rumours CUH will be looking for 10.. heard that one today.

Anywhere in Dublin but preferably southside. I might also send out CV's to a few other hospitals around the country just to give myself as many chances as possible!

Good news about CUH too.

From what i've heard (and this is just the grapevine)

Vinnies aren't looking. The mater have pretty much decided who they're taking.

Tallaght don't look like they're hiring.

The Privates could be an idea though, they usually take some.

• Advertisement

Your right about Tallaght. Its the only hospital I know anything at all about jobs wise. I did a 2 weeks elective there in Feb. It was in MRI and not general radiography but I got to have a look around and asked about jobs. It seems they need people but there probably won't be any jobs due to lack of funding.

Think I'll send some CV's to the private hospitals like you suggested and maybe do a bit of research into living in Cork!!!!!!

Sorry...one more question! I don't actually qualify till July 11th. Also I know it can take up to six weeks for my uk qualifications to be validated. This means I won't be free to work till late August. Do you think thats an advantage or disadvantage? Either the jobs will all be gone or the hospitals will have more money by then? What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I think you can do a locum post before your qualification is validated, I know one girl who did - unless they've tightened up on that! There's also the problem of Garda clearance, that can take up to 16 weeks. I was on the Legal Discussion forum trying to find out if you can get Garda clearance in advance of an interview, but I got different answers so I can't be sure.
    BTW, good luck with your finals Stepherunie and Gallagher.

Garda clearance only took me a month - and I applied last month for it.

You can send that away yourself - ti's fairly simple just fill out all the places you've lived ever and a few other details - nothing major.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

That's fantastic, Stepherunie! I must get my brother to do that before he does his finals (Dietician not Radiography) in May.

• Advertisement

Double check that now, but I had an recruitment form send mine off for me but it was done around the 7th of march and i got clearance last week.

Advertisement