Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Chapel.....

Options
  • 06-04-2008 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

I think I have found THE place I would want to have my nuptials if any one is ever unfortunate to want to marry me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary
    The Sedlec Ossuary (Czech: kostnice Sedlec) is a small Roman Catholic chapel, located beneath the Cemetery Church of All Saints (Czech: Hřbitovní kostel Všech Svatých) in Sedlec, a suburb of Kutná Hora in the Czech Republic. The ossuary contains approximately 40,000-70,000 human skeletons which have been artistically arranged to form decorations and furnishings for the chapel.

Sedlec_Ossuary_Entrance.jpg

So ladies any of you got that ideal place you may one day want to exchange vows ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Ooooh... :eek: wow!! I like!!!

Wouldn't mind someplace like that myself, someplace with a lot of character and with some sort of history to it. I've never really thought about it but I know I deffo wouldn't want somewhere brand new and 'cold' looking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I didnt think you were a catholic? :p It's a pretty cool venue I might say. If I were catholic I quite like the church in Gouganebarra in Cork

gouganebarra.jpg

Since I am not, and since Irish weddings are pretty much all the same, I'm saving for a New York wedding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very good idea, but if you ever needed an insight into the male psyche and why commitment may be an issue, I give you the evidence above......:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Nightwish wrote: »
    I didnt think you were a catholic? :p It's a pretty cool venue I might say. If I were catholic I quite like the church in Gouganebarra in Cork.

Good choice. I love Gouganebarra...

Shall we say 10.00am tomorrow?:eek::pac:

Has that church being like that for years, OP? How did the authorities get permission to use someone's remains from relatives et al?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Puts a whole new meaning on "...til death do us part."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Has that church being like that for years, OP? How did the authorities get permission to use someone's remains from relatives et al?
    In 1870, František Rint, a woodcarver, was employed by the Schwarzenberg family to put the bone heaps into order.

It used to be people were buried for a year or so and then their bones were removed from the grave to make for someone else and they were stacked in the crypt in a church.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

I didnt think you were a catholic? :p It's a pretty cool venue I might say. If I were catholic I quite like the church in Gouganebarra in Cork

gouganebarra.jpg

Since I am not, and since Irish weddings are pretty much all the same, I'm saving for a New York wedding.

sorry yoiu can't have that:) as it's mine. ive had that as my ideal place for years. my o/h even knows about it. if he ever asks the big question. will bring him there after he gets down on one knee. it was one of my grandad's fav places in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ha, looks suitable for you thaedydal :P

i think my ideal place if in ireland would be in an old catholic church up in donegal, in this area...

http://www.andymcinroy.com/images/ir98.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1167/1142581704_8bf6f8b993_o.jpg

http://www.op.net/~rkane/Ireland/1994/rd2sea.jpg

if in nz though... we're quite fond of this place...

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/growingschools/downloads/Hengistbury850.jpg

http://www.surfaotearoa.co.nz/sickspot_images/SouthShore02.jpg

edit: hahaa, my b/f just asked what i was doing looking up all these places on google... i told him we were talking about where we'd get married... i think i genuinely managed to scare him there for a few mins :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

didn't John Connolly set the finale to one of his books there?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

I'm getting married in the inflatable church at Electric Picnic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

If i get married i like the idea of doing the legalese in jeans one morning in the registry office, then maybe the next weekend doing some sort of a made-up-by-us ceremony under a tree somewhere. Given the Irish weather we'd probably have to sort out some umbrella rentals....

I think i prefer trees to human remains - each to their own. Just Thaedydal, you wouldn't go all bridezilla and try to recreate that scene in Ireland, would you....? I wonder if a boards.ie thread has ever been used as evidence for the prosecution before....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

cuckoo wrote: »
    I think i prefer trees to human remains - each to their own. Just Thaedydal, you wouldn't go all bridezilla and try to recreate that scene in Ireland, would you....? I wonder if a boards.ie thread has ever been used as evidence for the prosecution before....:D

Way to much effort, really the place exists and it will weed out the faint of heart off the guest list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

does he know this?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Drive-thru Vegas style, ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

15488929-15488932-slarge.jpg

!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Theres a cool bombed out church in Liverpool city Center called St Lukes that would be really cool to get married in. It has all brambles growing in it and it gets lit up at night time. I don't know why its full of row boats though!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:St_Lukes_Church_biennial.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Vegas, it has to be.

His relatives are in NZ and South Africa, mine are in Ireland. My family are Protestants and his family are Hindus. I really don't know where else we could do it. It's sorta halfway between all the places and would be a laugh!

Although an Indian style wedding ceremony would be pretty cool. Red saris and dancing around fires with painted hands etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I was baptisied a catholic but i don't go to mass unless its a family event, wedding, christening, funeral or some such. So i wont get married in a church. And contrary to popular belief i will not get "vitually" married in a well know RPG.... /me shakes my fist at Blizzard!

I wanna get married some where away, maybe a cruise ship.. a la the love boat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

want to get married on a beach in ireland but with the weather will have to hand out ponchos like they do in concerts to people coming.somewhere outside would just be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Had my first handfasting on top of a mountain and then renewed my vows a year and a day later by a lake. A year or two after that I dumped the loser. If I was to do it now think it would be a little church I like in the South of France tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

It's probably not allowed but I'd pick Mellifont Abbey. abbey.jpg

We're both interested in old church ruins or outdoor weddings. I'd have rows of white benches on that little green in front of the arch. Say the vows at the arch and have lilies, white roses and snowdrops around and lots of twinkling white lights....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

A la Jules I am baptised but not religious. I got married on a beach on Mahé Island in the Seychelles. Indian Ocean lapping at our feet, low hanging cocao trees hanging over head, our witnesses were 2 locals whom happened to be storlling along the beach at the time - I was only 23! (which btw was bleedin ages ago!:eek:)

wouldn't change it for the world. Beach weddings ftw!
    Big ants ate our wedding cake, it was pretty cool to watch actually, they are such an organised species (another one of my nerdy traits):p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

maple wrote: »
    I'm getting married in the inflatable church at Electric Picnic.

:D

A friend of mine (male) was dressed up all weekend as a nun at that thing. (he was paid, said it was a great laugh, heh).

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Theres a cool bombed out church in Liverpool city Center called St Lukes that would be really cool to get married in. It has all brambles growing in it and it gets lit up at night time. I don't know why its full of row boats though!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:St_Lukes_Church_biennial.jpg

is that the one ross and emily have the wedding in friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    It's probably not allowed but I'd pick Mellifont Abbey. abbey.jpg

We're both interested in old church ruins or outdoor weddings. I'd have rows of white benches on that little green in front of the arch. Say the vows at the arch and have lilies, white roses and snowdrops around and lots of twinkling white lights....
    Weddings aren't allowed there, I know, but many couples come to have photographs taken afterwards, and that is allowed, so long as the wedding party doesn't get in the way of staff or visitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

gouganebarra.jpg

My sister got married there, it's gorgeous alright. But the weather was crap that day so kinda ruined it.

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Had my first handfasting on top of a mountain and then renewed my vows a year and a day later by a lake. A year or two after that I dumped the loser. If I was to do it now think it would be a little church I like in the South of France tbh.

I hope you don't mind me being nosey.
    But was it a mock wedding as you don't seem to have mentioned legal separation. Are you actually pagan?

Advertisement