Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home storage of fuels

• 06-04-2008 11:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

how much petrol or diesel can a European citizen store in or around his home,

I would think that a 5lt can of petrol would not annoy anyone but 500lt's of petrol would raise some eyebrows.
    With dsl i would think that no limit exists due to it reasonably in-earth properties anyone got any thoughts on this problem as it seems i can't raid farmer browns forest;)

ps. what about massive hoards of coal and sticks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It almost sounds like you are asking for legal advice.

There is a limit on liquid fuels of about 1,000 litres - check with your fuel supplier. After that you need to install a bund in case of a leak - at a domestic level this is the real risk, leaks can cost hundreds of thousands to clean up. The local fire officer will also have specifications.

You can raid Farmer Brown's forest*, but only with his permission.

I doubt there is any limit on coal and sticks, unless you are posing a nuisance / disamenity or using it commercially, in which case planning permission would be needed.

* Note a 'forest' is much larger than a 'wood', in Ireland Coillte would probably be the only owner of a forest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Hi victor, thanks for the informative post.
    I wasn't looking for advise- i was purely asking out of interest.

Anyway i reopened this thread as i found a link to this problem that interested me.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/plweb-cgi/fastweb?TemplateName=hitlist.tmpl&view=ag-view&query_rule=%28%28%24query3%29%29%3Alegtitle&operator=and&numresults=25&sorting=none&query3=dangerous%20substances%20act%20&dbname=Acts&dbname=SIs&simplesearch.x=30&simplesearch.y=13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

how much petrol or diesel can a European citizen store in or around his home,

I would think that a 5lt can of petrol would not annoy anyone but 500lt's of petrol would raise some eyebrows.
    With dsl i would think that no limit exists due to it reasonably in-earth properties anyone got any thoughts on this problem as it seems i can't raid farmer browns forest;)

Diesel is not as inert as you might think. Diesel fuel is actually far more combustable than petrol. Petrol vapour is highly inflammable, but diesel just needs heat or pressure to combust.

Think of your diesel car that doesn't need a spark plug to ignite, merely the pressure of the piston and a small amount of heat provided by the glow plug.

Home heating oil is diesel (not kerosene) and people can store more than 1000 litres without any problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

rrpc wrote: »
    Diesel is not as inert as you might think. Diesel fuel is actually far more combustable than petrol. Petrol vapour is highly inflammable, .
    What??? ...
    listen:- If you take a flaming stick from a fire! and stick it into a lake of diesel it will go out!!! Fact, I have done it with a bucket of diesel.
    rrpc wrote:
    Home heating oil is diesel (not kerosene) and people can store more than 1000 litres without any problems.
    Not true... Irish industrail standard for home heating oil is kero...... look it up..:rolleyes:

I asked the question originally out of pure interest as i heard a rumor that only a Doctor was legally permitted to store petrol for emergencies. I know that this thread has now disassociated itself from any legal rhetoric of relevance but i have posted the following as it severely grievances me to witness the mal-practice of posting bad information and i apologies to the mods of the legal forum in advance.

Just a note on diesel to set things straight.....
    Diesel is similar to kerosene but it is not the same! They have different viscosities and different burn properties. If you wanted to burn kero in your diesel engine or diesel in you kero home heating system you would have to modify you fuel injectors and some how magically change you compression ratios to achieve a reduced optimum power output .. so they are not the same.. diesel is not kero.. period

Diesel under normal storage conditions in Ireland is extremely stable.

Glow plugs are not used in the combustion of diesel!!!! They are only used to pre-heat the cylinder head burn chamber! after this the chamber retains enough heat to allow normal dynamic pressure/temp combustion to occur unaided..

Diesel mist or spray must under go a compression ratio of at least 1:14 before a pressure increase cause 'Boyle's law' to allow a temp increase to the value of 77 deg Celsius. this is the flash point (temp) of diesel. I dont think that this will happen in a home storage facility

See the wiki ref to uses of home heating oil in Ireland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene in Ireland the fuel industry standard for home heating oil is kero!!!! Yes some systems do burn marked diesel oil.

Advertisement