Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3g USB Modem frys USB Ports

Options
  • 07-04-2008 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Guys n gals.... has anybody came across the huawei 3g USB modem as found with 3 (my one), vodafone and O2 frying/breaking your USB ports? It stopped working on my brother one day on his laptop and so he tried a different port. Every port he's tried has caused it to stop functioning.

I rebuilt his laptop there in case of a driver issue but the 3 working Memory keys dont work in any of the ports. He plugged the 3g modem into another laptop and a desktop PC... same thing has happened to all them (ports stop working).

I've noticed whereby the light on memory keys inserted into a new pc light up after a couple of seconds, these one's don't (2 generic brands and a disgo key). I did get one thing to light up which is a phone charger pack you can buy in PC world at the moment for €15 or so....

Any suggestions/ideas/input much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

The fact that the first laptops ports went bad should have stopped you in your tracks :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

Are they USB1.1 or USB2.0 (or mixture of) ports?

I haven't had the problem you're having, but have noticed that if I use a USB>PCI adaptor at the same time as the modem, the O2 connection drops a few seconds after connecting. I don't think I've had ports non-functioning, but I'll be checking them tonight.

Also, which model number Huawei is it? And was the modem working ok for a while (how long?) before it began "frying" ports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

what error message do you get? if any? others including myself have had issues with usb modems staying connected and often the usb mass storage device associated with the modem just drops off the devices list,

but this has not been happening as much lately so may well have been an issue with the service level rather than the modem or usb ports?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

What make/model laptop is it?

Any USB device can only draw as much current as the USB port can supply. The standard maximum under normal circumstances is 500mA. If a USB device needs more than this it just wouldn't work properly/at all - I can't see that happening because that would mean the device wouldn't work on any USB port that conforms to the standards.

If the ports are dead it probably means the laptop was faulty or not designed to withstand constant high load on the USB port (assuming the modem does actually draw a lot), i.e. it was a crap design.

Advertisement