Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin=s**t (warning rant ahead)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

I don't like the way people here are so forcefully nice. People aren't natural. People have lost confidence. People walk with their head down. I was in New York, and damn the people are so vibrant. Nobody gives a **** about being Irish anymore.

Interesting-'forcefully nice'? Could you elaborate on this and the 'lost confidence' you cite?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Nolanger wrote: »
    Always ask for a receipt in the Dublin shops because usually the staff don't know how to print one from the cash register. Or even better they forgot to put a roll of paper into the machine. Very funny when they have to get the manager with a queue of customers watching.

Ehh what? It prints automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Perhaps the best thing I have ever read.

Maybe you should visit a library.

To anyone else who thinks Dublin is a kip, I'd really like to know why you're here?

No one is keeping you here...once again, fcuk off if you don't like it.

Can't say it any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

IanCurtis wrote: »

To anyone else who thinks Dublin is a kip, I'd really like to know why you're here?

This is the very attitude you find in some pubs and shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i still love dublin

im aware of the alternatives and will enjoy them but dublin is home and always will be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I love Dublin. I love Ireland.

1.Family
    2.My Country(Every other person)
    3.Me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Maybe people would recognise the vailidity of the point you;re trying to make if you worded it without sounding so rude and aggressive

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

[Holy Rant]

For f**ks sake. When's the last time you went into a newsagents and read the paper, without buying it, and f**ked off? That's akin to going to a pub, not drinking, but taking up all the seats. Management have a right to refuse permission. This means that if they have a choice between 4 tee teetotallers, and 4 people who'll drink, they'll pick the latter. The moment you said they don't drink, you shout yourself in the foot, with a double barrelled shotgun. You don't want to drink, goto a restaurant. Lets see how long you last in one of them, without eating anything...

I was in the Porterhouse, and then in Doyles on Saturday night. Both were fairly packed, full of people drinking. Someone said if you don't like the place, don't go. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Both places were jammed. The Porterhouse, as it's a nice place to goto, the barstaff are courteous, and the bouncers keep the scum out (never really see any sknagers in there), whereas in Doyles, you get all sorts.

Apart from all of that, I'll centre on my locals. The Ryevale, where once it hits 12:30, they try to persuade you to continue drinking in their nightclub, as it's good business. And most people will go to it. There's also the Courtyard, where you can get served till 2am, give or take, and be chilled. There are about six pubs in Leixlip, three main takeaways, three chinese, and a pizza place. I stick to the Courtyard, and maybe one takeaway.

My point? When the masses went to the Courtyard, the Ryevale improved their smoking area, the other local pbs got better bands in, etc. Because people only went to a place which treated them well, did the others improve.

If you don't like the place, don't go.

The places you abandon will either shape up, or ship out.

[/Holy Rant]

Collie D wrote: »
    Maybe people would recognise the vailidity of the point you;re trying to make if you worded it without sounding so rude and aggressive

OK

These ranting threads serve no purpose if the person does not complain at the time.

Complaining that a pub didn't serve you or kicked you out because it was after-hours is ludicrous (OP's points 1 and 3)
    Complaining that a restaurant's service was bad is fine, but you're complaining to the wrong people (OP's point 2)

It is always the same. Someone has a rant about Dublin, followed by a number of replies from people who want out, or are out, agreeing and comparing them to other cities abroad where you sit in a bar until 4 in the morning without buying anything etc etc.

My reply is this - if these other places are so much better, leave, unless you have a very good reason why you can't, then stop moaning because you're stuck.

If you're not prepared to change it yourself in any way and you're stuck here, then shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

OK

These ranting threads serve no purpose if the person does not complain at the time.

Complaining that a pub didn't serve you or kicked you out because it was after-hours is ludicrous (OP's points 1 and 3)
    Complaining that a restaurant's service was bad is fine, but you're complaining to the wrong people (OP's point 2)

It is always the same. Someone has a rant about Dublin, followed by a number of replies from people who want out, or are out, agreeing and comparing them to other cities abroad where you sit in a bar until 4 in the morning without buying anything etc etc.

My reply is this - if these other places are so much better, leave, unless you have a very good reason why you can't, then stop moaning because you're stuck.

If you're not prepared to change it yourself in any way and you're stuck here, then shut up.

If there's one thing about that annoys more that the arrogance and rudeness that is Dublin, it's the ****-off-if-you-don't-like-it attitude. It's almost like you're saying that, no matter how bad Dublin gets, it's always beyond reproach and no matter how arrogant Dubliners get the still hve some God-given right to treat people like sh1t.

In answer too your nect two points:
    1) I am - I'm moving to Berlin in June to find a bit of variety and life. And to meet people who will see me as a person and not a wallet on legs.

2) I'll miss you too!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

extremely hard to find work in Berlin though that's the problem. I've been in NZ and now Oz for the last couple of years, haven't any complaints about the service industry. Then again, I only go to the old fashioned Dublin pubs at home, where the staff are always very professional and friendly, and maybe one or two nightspots that I know have always been good to me and my friends. I grew up in Dublin and sampled lots of places, surely all of you must know where you can go nowadays and get what you want?

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    extremely hard to find work in Berlin though that's the problem. I've been in NZ and now Oz for the last couple of years, haven't any complaints about the service industry. Then again, I only go to the old fashioned Dublin pubs at home, where the staff are always very professional and friendly, and maybe one or two nightspots that I know have always been good to me and my friends. I grew up in Dublin and sampled lots of places, surely all of you must know where you can go nowadays and get what you want?

I've got enough to last until Christmas and I don't mind menial. Oh, and I know how to be respectful to customers :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,165 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Goverment stops immigrants from coming in, who could give the country something fresh. A new lease of life.

Eh, no they don't. What immigrants would these be exactly? Ireland has one of the highest proportions of non-nationals of any country in the world.

There is an internal contradiction to all these arguments about how crap Dublin is. I'm not saying Dublin, or anywhere in Ireland, is perfect, but if it's so crap why are so many people from other countries coming here?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Eh, no they don't. What immigrants would these be exactly? Ireland has one of the highest proportions of non-nationals of any country in the world.

There is an internal contradiction to all these arguments about how crap Dublin is. I'm not saying Dublin, or anywhere in Ireland, is perfect, but if it's so crap why are so many people from other countries coming here?

1) Source please

2) €€€€€

No they deport too many families. My best friend couldn't get to live here because their retarted immigrant policy. He wasn't deported, but living here was impossible, despite the fact his sister is Irish.

Look at the Kunle guy, grant it he was a ******, but still, he was integreated into Ireland, it was a joke he was sent packing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

No they deport too many families. My best friend couldn't get to live here because their retarted immigrant policy. He wasn't deported, but living here was impossible, despite the fact his sister is Irish.

Look at the Kunle guy, grant it he was a ******, but still, he was integreated into Ireland, it was a joke he was sent packing.

98% of nigerians have no legitimate claim to asylum.If thery're trying it on kick them out,this isnt the US where we've millions of square miles to put these people up.
    Kunle is a criminal,he deserved to be sent packing and for good.The idiots who come to the defence of these nigerian fraudsters are invariably left with egg on thir faces when the facts come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

LaVidaLoca wrote: »
    is that Dublin is a minor provincial city with the ego of a major international capital.

A whole truckload of money just flew in on top of us over the past 15 odd years for no good reason other than we happen to speak English and be passably educated. We're not particularly hard-working or efficient, and a moderately specced business park in Hyderabad could probably accomplish what we like to think we have.

Thus, as a city it is rather like a poor black guy from inner-city America who suddenly makes it big as a rap star. The pimped out car, and the diamond studded bracelets and the tricked-out hoes bouncing along beside him just scream at you "I grew up poor! And Ive got a complex about it!"

Dublin is about as important/influential/interesting as, say, Leeds, or , at a push, Sheffield, and we KNOW it. And yet, we need to keep telling ourselves we've made it (even though only a small amount of us have -the rest of us cant even afford a house), so we effect an exclusive attitude, try our best to forget what we once were and above all, stay as drunk as we possibly can.

One of the smartest posts ever on boards. Applies to all Ireland really.

Oh now it wasn't all that factual, for example most of the last paragraph is pure and utter crap.

The city is extremely interesting from a historical perspective. Its an ancient city God damn it.

Dublin to me is a place to spend a weekend, and be taken away by the bohemian style nature of the city. Then get out, and always talk about ''going there again'' but in reality you know you won't.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    1) Source please

2) €€€€€

As of 2006, 10% of the population, and 14% of the legally employed population are non-national and one should expect immigration figures to be under reported, as census figures are more likely to miss out on non-nationals. For comparison purposes, in 2002, the non-national percentage of the population was 2.3%.

The increase in the total population of Ireland from 2006 to 2007 was 2.5%, of which two-thirds was accounted for by immigration.

Do they look like the figures of a country which deports too many people and doesn't allow in enough immigrants? Exactly how many immigrants does estebancambias think would be ebough? More than the 430,000 we already have? How about 500,000? How about 1 million? 1.5 million?

There are other places people can go to make money, inside the EU and out. That Dublin attracts so many says something about it.

odyssey06 wrote: »

There are other places people can go to make money, inside the EU and out. That Dublin attracts so many says something about it.

Fair enough. Would love to know how the figures compare to other western countires.

You're not saying that the immigrants come here for the warm freidnly attitude and welcoming social life, though, are you?

• Advertisement

I love Dublin. How many immigrants do you think live in Dublin?

I would be quite happy with 800,000 immigrants living here, maby more. In the long run it will benefit the country.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Fair enough. Would love to know how the figures compare to other western countires.

It is hard to get accurate figures, as you will appreciate. I doubt our government actually knows how many people are here to within 100,000 people when you consider non-nationals, tourists, students etc

This Newsweek article is the best I've found so far at explaining the figures for Polish people only up to 2007:
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/41976

UK: 700,000
    Ireland: 200,000
    Spain: 150,000

Two important factors to consider: Ireland's small population in relation to others and the fact that we and Britain allowed Polish (and other Eastern Europes) people to work here without restrictions from 2002 onwards. So if estebancambias thinks our immigration policy is retarded, what does he make of that of France, Spain, Italy and Sweden etc
    You're not saying that the immigrants come here for the warm freidnly attitude and welcoming social life, though, are you?

While of course economic factors play an important role, they're not going to come here if it is a s**thole, certainly not if the UK also accepts them, unless (a) friendly attitudes and social life are not important to them or (b) our attitude and social life is not quite as bad as portrayed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I would be quite happy with 800,000 immigrants living here, maby more. In the long run it will benefit the country.

No it wouldnt.Show me a country that has benefited in any way from mass immigration..England?France?The US?Anywhere there's immigration you'll see an inordinate amount of problems caused by immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

[
    Raekwon wrote: »
    + I was told to "Hurry the f**k up!" by a butcher boy in Dunnes Stores a few weeks ago. He also added "We have bleedin' homes to go to ya' know?" because I was doing a quick bit of shopping and the store was closing in 15 minutes..

they are open 9-6 or 9-9 certain days, why do you have to shop in the last 15 mins???, the bloke doesnt get paid after the shop closes?? why should he stand around in a **** job all day dealing with gob****es who moan because their meat isnt quite tender enough:D, then wait for you to decide weather to go for the brown or white bread, this **** really pisses me off the bloke is getting paid ****, why should he care if you dont spend your money there? hes not getting the profit.
    Raekwon wrote: »
    + so I dually threw my basket down and left the store in disgust and hopefully made a point of my dissatisfaction by being talked down too by some lowlife cretin.

so you basically gave him what he wanted....good lad:rolleyes:

lowlife cretin....its your poxy attitude is why the service is ****, people can only deal with so many condacending arseholes in a day:mad:

The most juvenile and ill-thought out comment in this thread.

The "Ireland is uncool, foreign is really cool!" attitude is one I had when I was about 14 years old. Now that I can leave, I would if I wanted to....as can any of you whining moaners.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You could leave this thread and all if you dont like it

:pac:< whining moaners ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭LaVidaLoca

No it wouldnt.Show me a country that has benefited in any way from mass immigration..England?France?The US?Anywhere there's immigration you'll see an inordinate amount of problems caused by immigrants.

Um, the U.S. wouldnt have anybody in it except Native Americans if it wasn't for Mass Immigration, you dolt. The entire country was created, governed, built, farmed, industrialised and maintained by wave upon wave of dirt poor, ill-educated immigrants. Hence the big friggin' statue of Lady Liberty that greets you at the front gate, bonehead.

Ditto for other 'New World' countries such as Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.

And last but certainly not least. Where do you think the Celts came from in the first place? Immigrants to a man. Displaced the original culture and gave us the one we have now.

Immigration is how the world came to be the way it is. As Gore Vidal is fond of saying: "History is nothing more than the record of the migration of tribes."

LaVidaLoca wrote: »
    Um, the U.S. wouldnt have anybody in it except Native Americans if it wasn't for Mass Immigration, you dolt. Ditto for other 'New World' countries such as Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.

Mass immigration only occured in the places you list (except for New Zealand) because the land masses were sparsely populated by native\aboriginal peoples.
    There's probably more people on the island of Ireland today than in all of North America in the 17th century. So, somehow I don't think that aspect of their history has much to teach densely populated, 21st century Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

they are open 9-6 or 9-9 certain days, why do you have to shop in the last 15 mins???, the bloke doesnt get paid after the shop closes?? why should he stand around in a **** job all day dealing with gob****es who moan because their meat isnt quite tender enough, then wait for you to decide weather to go for the brown or white bread, this **** really pisses me off the bloke is getting paid ****, why should he care if you dont spend your money there? hes not getting the profit.

@Kona... Lets say you went to the pub on a Sunday night. You had been working and you just want to chill out for a half hour or so before you get home. Its 10.45 pm. Now lets look at your post and replace 'shop' with 'pub'

they are open12-11 or 12-12.30am certain days, why do you have to go to the pub in the last 15 mins???, the bloke doesnt get paid after the pub closes?? why should he stand around in a **** job all day dealing with gob****es who moan because their pint isnt cold enough, then wait for you to decide weather to go for the Guinness or the Carlsberg, this **** really pisses me off the bloke is getting paid ****, why should he care if you dont spend your money there? hes not getting the profit.

How would you feel if that was you looking for a pint?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

gazzer wrote: »
    they are open 9-6 or 9-9 certain days, why do you have to shop in the last 15 mins???, the bloke doesnt get paid after the shop closes?? why should he stand around in a **** job all day dealing with gob****es who moan because their meat isnt quite tender enough, then wait for you to decide weather to go for the brown or white bread, this **** really pisses me off the bloke is getting paid ****, why should he care if you dont spend your money there? hes not getting the profit.

@Kona... Lets say you went to the pub on a Sunday night. You had been working and you just want to chill out for a half hour or so before you get home. Its 10.45 pm. Now lets look at your post and replace 'shop' with 'pub'

they are open12-11 or 12-12.30am certain days, why do you have to go to the pub in the last 15 mins???, the bloke doesnt get paid after the pub closes?? why should he stand around in a **** job all day dealing with gob****es who moan because their pint isnt cold enough, then wait for you to decide weather to go for the Guinness or the Carlsberg, this **** really pisses me off the bloke is getting paid ****, why should he care if you dont spend your money there? hes not getting the profit.

How would you feel if that was you looking for a pint?

personally i know what its like to have to deal with these gob****es, so i dont do go to places at closing, i can see the person on the otherside of the counters opinion and position and i totally agree.

But for the sake of it lets say i did, and the barman was dumb enough to serve me at the hour, id know i had 15mins to drink my pint so id down the yoke. now how can you enjoy a pint by just downing it, especially if you want to chillax. Personally id just have a few cans at home and take as long as i like:D

if i had none......its not going to kill me now is it??

Advertisement