Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin=s**t (warning rant ahead)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭LaVidaLoca

the New World. I was merely pointing out the idiocy of making a blanket statement that amounts to saying "Immigration is never a good thing." and using the United States as one of your examples!

Though personally, I will say that despite the ranting, there are many good things about Dublin now. And I for one do think a lot of that has to do with the foreign presence here. God does anyone remember how boring Dublin used to be? I love the fact that there are now gourgeous women everywhere, and Good coffee, and decent restaraunts, and all the other things not native to our soil that are now thriving eveyrwhere.

And to those who say that the moaners should simply leave the country, has it ever occured to you that it is moaning about a place is what makes it better? In the bad old days, leaving the country is precisely what we all did (cause we had to). Now, we moan, and hopefully when we've finished go and put our moans into action, and make Dublin a better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

wait till were poor again and , the foreigners will be outa quicker than rats from a sinking ship:D

the country is a hole, look at the money in the country, what has it been spent on??? **** all thats what:mad:

at the moment its good, you can just piss about having a good time, as soon as i get my degree im outa here, im sick of scumbags, sick of retarded politicians, sick of treehuggers, sick of posers, and what really makes me sick is the PC brigade and the fact scumbags get away with everything, id guess that 30% of the population are interesting people with a personality, the rest are manufactured ****e that look the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,175 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

LaVidaLoca wrote: »
    the New World. I was merely pointing out the idiocy of making a blanket statement that amounts to saying "Immigration is never a good thing." and using the United States as one of your examples!
    Well, yeah, the need for qualification was obvious :)
    And to those who say that the moaners should simply leave the country, has it ever occured to you that it is moaning about a place is what makes it better? In the bad old days, leaving the country is precisely what we all did (cause we had to). Now, we moan, and hopefully when we've finished go and put our moans into action, and make Dublin a better place.

But to be a quintessentially Dublin moaner, you have to whinge without effect and never leave!
    I think if you want your moaning to have an effect you have to come up with some solutions. Like why is it that service and choice is much worse in some sectors than others etc etc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

kona wrote: »
    as soon as i get my degree im outa here

No, no please don't go!! PLEASE!!!

Ok, go on then :D BYE!

P.S. Grow a pair of test-eye-kells on your way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

IanCurtis you keep implying that I don't like Ireland. I love the place, but there is a few bad aspects, just like every country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

----the country is a hole, look at the money in the country, what has it been spent on???----

LUAS, IFSC, M1 upgrade, M3 upgrade (delighted by the way in case you were wondering) Infrastructure development does not happen overnight.

Move on, with the perspective that brings you might realise how far the country has come, there is a lot to be done, especially with regard to hospitals / public service etc. I suspect when you move elsewhere you will realise that the grass isn't always greener and that other countries come with their own pitfalls. Of course Ireland isnt perfect, it's naive of you to suggest it is a hole compared to the rest of Europe.

Ps..no responses telling me how nice it was when you were off on a weekend break somewhere. Go and live somewhere else, develop some perspective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

LaVidaLoca wrote: »
    Um, the U.S. wouldnt have anybody in it except Native Americans if it wasn't for Mass Immigration, you dolt. The entire country was created, governed, built, farmed, industrialised and maintained by wave upon wave of dirt poor, ill-educated immigrants. Hence the big friggin' statue of Lady Liberty that greets you at the front gate, bonehead.

Ditto for other 'New World' countries such as Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.

And last but certainly not least. Where do you think the Celts came from in the first place? Immigrants to a man. Displaced the original culture and gave us the one we have now.

Immigration is how the world came to be the way it is. As Gore Vidal is fond of saying: "History is nothing more than the record of the migration of tribes."

Okay,so lets say in the last 30 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

IanCurtis you keep implying that I don't like Ireland. I love the place, but there is a few bad aspects, just like every country.

At least you get a responce!

It's a sad state of affairs when expressing an opinion labels you a "whinging moaner".

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I am pie wrote: »
    ----the country is a hole, look at the money in the country, what has it been spent on???----

LUAS, IFSC, M1 upgrade, M3 upgrade (delighted by the way in case you were wondering) Infrastructure development does not happen overnight.

Move on, with the perspective that brings you might realise how far the country has come, there is a lot to be done, especially with regard to hospitals / public service etc. I suspect when you move elsewhere you will realise that the grass isn't always greener and that other countries come with their own pitfalls. Of course Ireland isnt perfect, it's naive of you to suggest it is a hole compared to the rest of Europe.

Ps..no responses telling me how nice it was when you were off on a weekend break somewhere. Go and live somewhere else, develop some perspective.

so in 15 years thats all they have spent BILLIONS on???:confused::confused:

****ing idiots,:D wow ifsc god thats really a benefit to me,:rolleyes: Luas.....sure if they didnt get rid of trams in the first place:rolleyes: and the luas is great if you dont live on the northside.:rolleyes::mad:

M1 & M3 upgrades???:confused:
    **** that you should drive on the **** on the northside its a disgrace, as are the roads in the country, and IMO a major factor in road deaths, even more so than speeding.
    its the primary and secondary roads that need upgrading, with proper materials, not the **** they put on the m50;)

ive been to the us on many a occasion, and most major EU cities, they are light years ahead of us as regards to everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭papillon66

Get over it...you won't really love Ireland until you will accept"the few bad aspects" ...no country is perfect neither a human being but we have to live with it. If you have a gf/bf you wouldn't like someone talking about her/his weaknesses...even though they're real-Why? because you know there are so many others good aspects and because you really love it- we only see the bad aspects because they are obvious and people love to criticize but don't want to see their own bad stuffs. If you put in a balance the good and the bad about Dublin or Ireland and you only see the bad then you're hopeless and useless for this country as you don't bring anything positif to others people in Ireland-And yes why the pubstaff ,restaurant staff...newsagent staff...would have to care if you don't care either as you only see the negatif points-Inconsciously our mind goes with this thought so staffs and owners just react as we react-

We want a better Ireland and a better Dublin...well people who criticized here should try not to be so lazy awaiting for others to make the change-If you're not happy and you are in your right to make a complain, you should adress it to the right person, company,manager, owner...then you will contribute-And maybe you will be proud to live in Dublin, Ireland...as I do(I'm not Irish BTW;)

People make the city...it's not the city that makes people

• Advertisement

****ing idiots,:D wow ifsc god thats really a benefit to me,:rolleyes:

Listen kona, here's something an oul fella you never heard of, said once:

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"

IanCurtis wrote: »

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"

**** the ifsc:mad:, and fancy paving and the other ****:mad:, the real areas money should have been spent in the last 15 years, is, hospitals, gardai, ambulance, fire brigade, primary and secondary roads, prisons, recreation, education, proper housing.

this has ALOT to do with the dumbass government, this country is run by monkeys
    :mad:

lets take a goo at the probable direction of dublin in the next decade........

huge unemployment(look at the youth they are in dreamland, very few have a desire for 3rd level, nevermind a proper degree, look at scumbags, god they will really contribute:rolleyes:)

Debt.....people paying stupid money for houses in the middle of now where, with no amenities, no design, poor build quality, poor infrastructure:rolleyes:

ghettos......following from above, these ****ing holes in abbotstown, tyrrelstown, adamstown, high density housing will be the slums of the future, and even worse than darndale, ballymun etc....

crime...look at london, paris etc, "multicultural" centres dublin is on this road and has its foot to the floor:mad:(lets hope it hits a pothole and crashes before it gets there:D:p)
    be prepared for gangs running the place and no-go areas and daily riots because some ethnic scumbag got arrested for killing sombody:rolleyes:

its not nice saying this, i feel really sad writing this, but this is the way its gone, i was born in dublin, my parents and family are all 100% dubs, i loved the place growing up, it was fun, the people were nice always willing to help, sure we didnt have much money, (our football team had the same jerseys for 5 years, and even then they didnt match), the place had character, and the people had personalities, now its all greed and selfishness, its really horrible comapred to what i remember it as. I remember going to the beach and all, no broken glass, not as many scumbags, not as many cars on the beach, all the kids would dig up holes together and build castles even though they didnt know each other. you wouldnt see this now??

if a kid fell off a bike these days nobody would help because they are scared what would happen if they did help......this is bollix. 10 years ago no problem, youd have sombody to help you, likewise if you got lost from your parents.

in the words of axl rose,"do you know where the **** you are?????. ....your in the jungle baby......wake up....time to die!!!"

"Ask not what your country can do DO you, ask it to stop!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Maybe you should visit a library.

To anyone else who thinks Dublin is a kip, I'd really like to know why you're here?

No one is keeping you here...once again, fcuk off if you don't like it.

Can't say it any other way.

Someone else said it, but thats the attitude that irritates in this fair city of ours. I've lived in a few cities, Dublin is definately the worst in terms of city life. London the best. However, London don't have a patch on Dublin the location. Howth, Kiliney, Dalkey, The Dublin/Wicklow mountains etc. Now if we could just remove the gobsh!tes. Go out in London and there is a huge selection of places, and I never came accross an irritating doorman, even if we were a pack of 20 people. Once we were told a club was full, and the doorman was apologetic. Dublin has an attitude problem, thats defo. But its got a setting, London can only wish for. just stay out of the city centre, and yer sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

I have to admit i loved being in Dublin when i was young, now i just dont feel safe anywhere in it, the service i find is not great but in some places very good and the people in it just loud and aggressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Maybe I am loud and aggressive but I think Dublin is a fantastic city these days, and has gotten better and better over the past decade.

Binge drinking and general drunkedness is no more common in Dublin than in other european cities.

What is more enlightening about the OPs complaints was where he decided to bring his friends. Bringing them around Camden Street and Dame Street is the equivalent of going sightseeing near Damrak or Leidseplein in Amsterdam, or in Leicester Square in London.

As someone mentioned above, you could easily go to Howth or Dalkey, both are quite beautiful towns what, 20 mins by public transport? You'd do it and make a bit of an effort in another country. I find that my opinion of the origin of such as the OPs complaints come from wanting to do the same things as before and not accepting change, either trying new areas, new bars, etc., .

Why not Ranelagh? It's on the tram 10 mins from St. Stephen's Green.

There is plenty of choice and plenty of things to do, so try and look at the city as something more than Temple Bar/Dame Street/Camden Street area. You wouldn't stick to the city centre tourist spot in another one of the example european cities, so why in Dublin?

Habit I suppose.

as the Americans say:
    LoveItOrLeaveIt.jpg

Is it no surprise that people have grown into what has been a huge influence on our culture and media over the past generations? I hope it isn't. You can't presume that Dublin will be what you want it to personally be. For the record, there are several bars open until around 3am on Sunday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

These rants are totally pointless.
    If you don't like it, fcuk off - end of story.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

as soon as i get my degree im outa here, im sick of scumbags, sick of retarded politicians, sick of treehuggers, sick of posers, and what really makes me sick is the PC brigade and the fact scumbags get away with everything, id guess that 30% of the population are interesting people with a personality, the rest are manufactured ****e that look the same.

As my Dad says, If someone has a problem with everything and everyone around them, then maybe it's actually that someone that has the problem and not everyone else!

;)

Well, that was worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

[they are open 9-6 or 9-9 certain days, why do you have to shop in the last 15 mins???, the bloke doesnt get paid after the shop closes?? why should he stand around in a **** job all day dealing with gob****es who moan because their meat isnt quite tender enough:D, then wait for you to decide weather to go for the brown or white bread, this **** really pisses me off the bloke is getting paid ****, why should he care if you dont spend your money there? hes not getting the profit.

Wrong, if he's part-time, he'd get paid overtime for anything worked past his shift ending, ie, closing time. Grocery never have to work overtime though, so I doubt he was thinking of that. I agree with you though, last minute shoppers suck.

• Advertisement

Pete4779 wrote: »
    Maybe I am loud and aggressive but I think Dublin is a fantastic city these days, and has gotten better and better over the past decade.

Binge drinking and general drunkedness is no more common in Dublin than in other european cities.

What is more enlightening about the OPs complaints was where he decided to bring his friends. Bringing them around Camden Street and Dame Street is the equivalent of going sightseeing near Damrak or Leidseplein in Amsterdam, or in Leicester Square in London.

As someone mentioned above, you could easily go to Howth or Dalkey, both are quite beautiful towns what, 20 mins by public transport? You'd do it and make a bit of an effort in another country. I find that my opinion of the origin of such as the OPs complaints come from wanting to do the same things as before and not accepting change, either trying new areas, new bars, etc., .

Why not Ranelagh? It's on the tram 10 mins from St. Stephen's Green.

There is plenty of choice and plenty of things to do, so try and look at the city as something more than Temple Bar/Dame Street/Camden Street area. You wouldn't stick to the city centre tourist spot in another one of the example european cities, so why in Dublin?

Habit I suppose.

as the Americans say:
    LoveItOrLeaveIt.jpg

Is it no surprise that people have grown into what has been a huge influence on our culture and media over the past generations? I hope it isn't. You can't presume that Dublin will be what you want it to personally be. For the record, there are several bars open until around 3am on Sunday night.

The problem is it's all the same. What happens if you don't like pubs? It's not "love it or leave it" it's "drink like fvck and put up with the abuse or leave it"

The fact that one of your suggestions is a day trip to Renelagh? Are you serious??

Howth and Dalkey are only really options if you live on the Dart line. What if you live miles inland and don't drive?

The city has so much potential, don't getr me wrong - but no diesire to achieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Wrong, if he's part-time, he'd get paid overtime for anything worked past his shift ending, ie, closing time. Grocery never have to work overtime though, so I doubt he was thinking of that. I agree with you though, last minute shoppers suck.

Wrong. A lot of small shops only pay staff to the end of rostered hours. Any time taken to get rid of customers, lock up, count money, etc is unpaid. Is it ****? Yes. Be polite - assume that they want the doors locked by the advertised closing time and aim to get out before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    The problem is it's all the same. What happens if you don't like pubs? It's not "love it or leave it" it's "drink like fvck and put up with the abuse or leave it"

The fact that one of your suggestions is a day trip to Renelagh? Are you serious??

Howth and Dalkey are only really options if you live on the Dart line. What if you live miles inland and don't drive?

The city has so much potential, don't getr me wrong - but no diesire to achieve it.

I agree. It hurts me in some ways. I know I will never feel truly fufilled living in Dublin during my lifetime, or at least through my young years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Thanks for putting stars so I can't see where you went, now I might try and go there. Name and shame

@estebancambias

I think he was suggesting that there are great bars in Ranelagh, which there are, along with great restaurants and parks....as there are all over Dublin.

It's just a case of finding them and not going ape-sh1t over one badly-planned night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

they are open 9-6 or 9-9 certain days, why do you have to shop in the last 15 mins???, the bloke doesnt get paid after the shop closes?? why should he stand around in a **** job all day dealing with gob****es who moan because their meat isnt quite tender enough:D, then wait for you to decide weather to go for the brown or white bread, this **** really pisses me off the bloke is getting paid ****, why should he care if you dont spend your money there? hes not getting the profit.

What the hell are you blubbering on about? I had to shop in the last 15 minutes BECAUSE I WAS AT WORK ALL DAY! :rolleyes: It shouldn't really take a person (even with half a brain) long to figure that one out. Also the employee was still at work (15 minutes before the shop closed means that the shop is still open) yet still starts shouting abuse at a customer and you condone this sort of behaviour? You don't work in Dunnes Stores on the meat counter do you Mr Happy :rolleyes:
    kona wrote:
    so you basically gave him what he wanted....good lad:rolleyes:

lowlife cretin....its your poxy attitude is why the service is ****, people can only deal with so many condacending arseholes in a day:mad:

I did give him what he wanted, I left the store and I do my shopping else where now mainly because of that muppet. Hopefully the manager gave him a telling off too because I don't give a toss who he is, nobody employee should be allowed to talk to a customer like that (fullstop!). Btw there are only two condescending are*sholes in this thread and you are the both of them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Raekwon wrote: »
    What the hell are you blubbering on about? I had to shop in the last 15 minutes BECAUSE I WAS AT WORK ALL DAY! :rolleyes: It shouldn't really take a person (even with half a brain) long to figure that one out. Also the employee was still at work (15 minutes before the shop closed means that the shop is still open) yet still starts shouting abuse at a customer and you condone this sort of behaviour? You don't work in Dunnes Stores on the meat counter do you Mr Happy :rolleyes:

I did give him what he wanted, I left the store and I do my shopping else where now mainly because of that muppet. Hopefully the manager gave him a telling off too because I don't give a toss who he is, nobody employee should be allowed to talk to a customer like that (fullstop!). Btw there are only two condescending are*sholes in this thread and you are the both of them ;)

What kona is on about is that when you work in a shop you have to work after your rostered hours counting the till etc. However reading your experience and what you dealt with is totally different. Kona is implying work in a convenience store like a spar/centra, I know as I have experience in that area. The way you were treated in Dunnes is different as they are let off at the time stated in their roster. The guy was a c*nt and I would have kicked the f*cking sh*t out of him if he said that to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭BigWilly

Raekwon wrote: »

Sorry mate, but this just doesn't ad up for me. Are you sure it was 15 minutes? Or not like 15 seconds to closing time? And he actually shouted this at you?
    It sounds a bit...odd (read: made up).. to me, but why didn't you just complain? If you felt so strongly about it?
    Also, there's lots of shops open when people finish work. I didn't think there were many tesco's etc that closed before 9/10 these days. So why go to the one that was closing so soon.

Also, to the OP. It sounds as if it was YOU who needed to be shown around Dublin. I've been going out for say...5 years at this stage, maybe a bit longer. And I know which places are crap and which are good. I remember being charged over a 5er for a pint 4 years ago, and guess what, I don't go to crappy clubs that charge over a 5er for a pint any more. They're full of scum and bad music. What more do you expect? Plenty of quiet enough places in Dublin. I mean, if there's something we're lacking, it's not places to drink. Rock music, live music, dance music, chatty atmosphere..whatever you're after...there's many places for each type. Don't like locked people falling all over you? Then don't go to temple bar on a saturday. Simple. I actually reckon at this stage I've been to pretty much every big pub in the city center so I know what choices I have.

RE doormen being assholes.. Can you blame them most of the time? They put up with so much **** pretty much every night, so they have to be tough and act hard. I find that I have no problems with a vast majority of them. Most will be sound to you if you are to them, and not absolutely aggro or wasted. I know that when you encounter a bad one, it sticks with you and you forget the good ones, but it really doesn't happen that much. I mean are you people trying to get into these places in tracksuits and scanda jackets or something? Otherwise I see no reason why they would hassle you and not me or the next person.

Also, I've been to lots of places all across Europe and America, and it's pretty much the same. Sound bouncers most of the time, although I think alot of european places have the right idea with the relaxed drinking hours. I especially liked the ones in Berlin where there were places open pretty much all night.

So yeah, if you're going to the same places every week and complaining about the prices and the music, it's your fault for going. If you go to a bar to not drink, then why go in the first place? I mean, if these places were closing, what was the point in actually going? Obviously not the atmosphere. Most bars in Dublin I find don't really have much space. So I can understand them not letting in non drinkers.

Rant over :]
    Sorry if it was a bit all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Bambi wrote: »
    . In retrospect i should have told him to go f**k himself, the mouthy pr**k, a glass of coke costs twice as much as beer, you could do the maths yourself if you hadnt failed your leaving cert and ruined your chances of being a garda.

lol

• Advertisement

dude part timers dont get paid O/T until they work over 45 hours or somthing like that, sure otherwise everybody would want part-time:)

Advertisement