Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unusual question re commissioning

• 07-04-2008 4:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

This sort of stems from the thread on when an officer is allowed to leave after commissioning. Does anyone in the know have any info on whether it's possible to do cadet training as a graduate then after commissioning leave the army to pursue further training before rejoining the army a few years later. The reason I ask is that I'm approaching the max age for cadetships (I'm 25) and the training would be for a career after an army one but can only really be done within the next couple of years. Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

You can go in as a grad, but leaving straight after commissioning would be not looked in the best light, not to mention the cost..

If your talking about leave of absence/career break, you can forget it.. Their is no way you'll get one directly after cadets..You would have to be at least the Rank of Capt to get LOA of a Career break.

And the only purpose for the above mentioned is further Education/Travel/domestic situation. and you have to produce proof.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

the training would be for a career after an army one
    Somehow I doubt that is what the army wants to hear. They want the army to be your career. Bear in mind that even when young officers are sent to college in Galway. They are expected to wear their uniforms to lectures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 OneQuestion

cp251 wrote: »
    Somehow I doubt that is what the army wants to hear. They want the army to be your career. Bear in mind that even when young officers are sent to college in Galway. They are expected to wear their uniforms to lectures.

I can see your point but the thing is that I have a med degree and I want to get a few years under my belt before doing the army thing. I'm sure there aren't many doctors who enter the army to make it their career for life. I know direct entry is a possibility but would one only be able to serve solely as a doctor or would transfers be possible? It's not that I'd mind serving a doctor for a while but would like the use the opportunity of being in the army to pick up some other skills and to put a few of my other talents to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I think the ethical issues surrounding this should answer your own question. You're either a Doc or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Would it not break the Hypocratic oath to serve as a soldier who shoots.

Also you are not too old at 25 if you are a doctor.

I am not sure of the age limit but It is most definitely not 25!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Also you are not too old at 25 if you are a doctor.

I am not sure of the age limit but It is most definitely not 25!!!

The age limit is 28 now for a cadetship (think you have to have commenced training before 28 - it's in the booklet), unless you're talking about direct entry, then I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Oh cool, thank trib.

But still I think that for Direct Entry their cannot be an age limit for doctors because the DF are screaming out for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

To be honest I don't think the army would allow you to do a cadetship as it would serve no purpose for them. They decide where they need people and as pointed out above there is a shortage of doctors - plenty of line officers. If you were to do a cadetship you would un-useable for nearly 2 years. If you join the army as a doctor you would get to do a shoot and salute course - learning just that and drill for ceremonial occasions. You would have no need to learn anything of a tactical nature as that isn't your job.

Sorry but thats just how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Bethany

All members of the Medical Corps are non combatants and you would not be offered a cadetship as a qualified doctor. As a previous poster said you would have to do a saluting course designed for technical direct entry officers. At no stage in your job would you be involved in infantry tactics. However you would do overseas duties as a doctor and go to the Glen etc for artillery shoots etc but in service support role i.e. a doctor. You are too young to join as a doctor from your own point of view careerwise unless you just want to consider doing a years contract to see what it is like. There is a problem with CME and recognition of specialities with the type of work done in the PDF. Having said that if you do decide to join , there is good support for courses such as Sports Medicine and Occupational Medicine. Doctors also do ATLS AND BTLS courses. If you really would like to see what it is like, write to Col Joseph Monaghan,Director Medical Corps,St. Bricin's Hospital, Infirmary Road, Dublin 8. The upper age limits for doctors are totally different, recently people in their forties were taken in.

Advertisement