Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King and Video games

Options
  • 07-04-2008 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

Stephen King has spoken to Entertainment weekly about his views on game related violence and sums up the state of affairs quite nicely. I've yet to see a better quote on this subject.
    What really makes me insane is how eager politicians are to use the pop culture — not just videogames but TV, movies, even Harry Potter — as a whipping boy. It's easy for them, even sort of fun, because the pop-cult always hollers nice and loud. Also, it allows legislators to ignore the elephants in the living room.

Elephant One is the ever-deepening divide between the haves and have-nots in this country, a situation guys like Fiddy and Snoop have been indirectly rapping about for years. Elephant Two is America's almost pathological love of guns.

It was too easy for critics to claim — falsely, it turned out — that Cho Seung-Hui (the Virginia Tech killer) was a fan of Counter-Strike; I just wish to God that legislators were as eager to point out that this nutball had no problem obtaining a 9mm semiautomatic handgun.

Cho used it in a rampage that resulted in the murder of 32 people. If he'd been stuck with nothing but a plastic videogame gun, he wouldn't even have been able to kill himself. Case closed.

http://pspupdates.qj.net/Stephen-King-takes-a-stand-on-video-game-violence/pg/49/aid/117569

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20188502_2,00.html - Not compatible with opera.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Strange that you should post this now - just listening to the Citizen Game podcasts - and they're discussing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I never thought Stephen was that great, i mean the movies/tv that were made from his books were tripe, aside from the Langoliers, which was a good laugh.

What he says is so true though. With the Columbine shootings you had Doom to blame - graphically advanced and true to realism as it was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I never thought Stephen was that great, i mean the movies/tv that were made from his books were tripe, aside from the Langoliers, which was a good laugh.

What he says is so true though. With the Columbine shootings you had Doom to blame - graphically advanced and true to realism as it was

Why do you use the TV shows/Movies based on his books as an example of you not thinking he's that great? They have nothing to do with him really. A lot of his books are amazing imo. Plus, he's also been quoted multiple times saying he really doesn't give a **** how any of his books do on TV or in the movies... apart from The Dark Tower if it ever gets made.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

The Shawshank redemption, Stand by me and The Green Mile are tripe?

He says it pretty well, but people will always want something to blame that isn't themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I was making a joke about my illiteracy towards the written word. For some reason i cant read books. My bad, should have explained that.
    The Green Mile, Shawshank redemption, i was wrong, these are class. Didnt know he wrote them.:o I take it all back.

• Advertisement

kyub wrote: »
    Plus, he's also been quoted multiple times saying he really doesn't give a **** how any of his books do on TV or in the movies... apart from The Dark Tower if it ever gets made.

I hope to god they don't make The Dark Tower into a movie or tv show. They will ruin it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

I hope to god they don't make The Dark Tower into a movie or tv show. They will ruin it.

He did a good job of that himself with the last book.

on the subject it always puzzles me how people dont notice the giant steady trend in voilence homicide and suicde in the thousands of years leading up to inception of the videogame and the horror movie

Advertisement