Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 4

Options
  • 07-04-2008 7:44am

Hello all,
    Just got Quake 4 for the X-Box 360, and I was looking forward to playing it (I've been playing ID software games since I was a kid, from Catacomb Abyss through to Wolf 3d to Doom and finally the Quake series).

Now I liked Quake 3 when I had it on the PS2, but I have to say that I'm dissappointed with Quake 4. After playing games like "Gears of War" and "Halo 3", I've realised that the whole FPS style game has moved on from the "run into a room and blast everything that comes toward you", and Quake 4 seems to have been left behind with a gamestyle more akin to Doom.

Online was disappointing too - again it just didn't compare to other games I've played online on X-Box live.

As a result, I find I'm playing a game I could just stop playing, and I wouldn't regret it (bad AI, bad frame rate, storyline not that great, etc.). This wasn't the case with the last couple of shoot'em'ups I've played.

It wasn't all bad though - Quake 2 to came packaged with the game, and I'm looking forward to some nostalgic moments as I replay it!

Anyway, to come to the point of my rant - is it possible that ID have got themselves stuck in a rut, focusing their games on "old style" FPS's? Can they compete these days against the likes of Bungie and Ubisoft, etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

o0

Carbiens wrote: »
    o0

What??? :confused:

Not really up on 'tinternet lingo, if that's what it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

He is staring wide eyed at you. Possibly something to do with the fact you are playing Quake* on consoles?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

or the fact that he rates halo above any quake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Cremo wrote: »
    or the fact that he rates halo above any quake.
    Thats cos it is better than q4

• Advertisement

He is staring wide eyed at you. Possibly something to do with the fact you are playing Quake* on consoles?

Hmmm, while I appreciate that Quake 1 & 2 were almost exclusive to the PC world, Quake 3 & 4 were obviously going to be equally played on consoles, given their increasing usage.

I don't see anything wrong with playing Quake on a console, in any case!
    kaimera wrote: »
    Thats cos it is better than q4

I agree, Halo 3 is a far better than Quake 4, no question. As for mulitiplayer, Halo 3 is so much better than Quake 4, it isn't in the same ballpark. Or league. Not even in the same sport! :)

Anyway, back to my orignal question(s): can ID software compete with the superior FPS's of today?

Will the next game from them be something more akin to modern FPS's?

I would love to think so...

On an unrelated point, I've just remembered that I first bought my PS2 purely to play Quake 3!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

:*(

Advertisement