Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When BPL in Ireland?

Options
  • 07-04-2008 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

I never get an answer to this..... why no broadband over powerlines???
    100% availability to all homes and businesses. Mad mad speed...
    Another source of revenue for the ESB... might actually lower electricity costs (prob not)

Indonesia are pushing ahead with it!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/06/malaysian-mosques-to-get-superfast-broadband-at-discount-prices/

".... create a vast broadband-over-powerline network which will deliver 224Mbps to users in Indonesia for about RM5 (or $1.57) per month..."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Do you honestly think our electricity network is in any better state than our phone network?

It cannot pass through transformers and there's alot of interferance, This article was posted before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

another little bit of me dies...BPL....groan......like Wifi, great for in homes, little use elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Does it not deafen whales or something? I heard that somewhere. Or maybe I dreamt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Jumpy wrote: »
    Does it not deafen whales or something? I heard that somewhere. Or maybe I dreamt it.

It does lots of negative things and as electricity distribution cables are not shielded as such it causes low frequency interference to lots of things (whales and Dolphins use sonar hence the reference)

I am happy to have a pointy headed technical chat with anyone who wants to be utterly board to death my this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Annatar

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Do you honestly think our electricity network is in any better state than our phone network?

It cannot pass through transformers and there's alot of interferance, This article was posted before.

"another little bit of me dies...BPL....groan......like Wifi, great for in homes, little use elsewhere."

So our powerlines are cacker than Indonesia?!!
    I shouldnt be suprised and yet......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Interference is a big problem as others have said, especially with shortwave radio. AFAIK the ESB lay fibre-optic lines with their mains lines - forget exactly the deal with that. There was also Ocean Telecom - a joint venture between the ESB and BT before they bought out Esat - forget what the deal with that was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 therhythmbyrne

Annatar wrote: »
    I never get an answer to this..... why no broadband over powerlines???
    100% availability to all homes and businesses. Mad mad speed...
    Another source of revenue for the ESB... might actually lower electricity costs (prob not)

Indonesia are pushing ahead with it!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/06/malaysian-mosques-to-get-superfast-broadband-at-discount-prices/

".... create a vast broadband-over-powerline network which will deliver 224Mbps to users in Indonesia for about RM5 (or $1.57) per month..."

ESB do provide Broadband over Power Lines to remote areas such as houses in the middle of no where (Costs a fortune but I've heard it being done before) and they also own a huge chunk of the fiber optic in the country.

http://www.esbtelecoms.ie/default.htm

ISP's rent this network and so they are making a tidy little profit doing nothing atm with regards to broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

BPL is EVIL and creates massive interference and itself can easily be wiped out by passing taxi radio, walkie talkie (legal CB etc), Tetra, Thunderstorm, Static, power line interference ...
    It's a rubbish technology.

ESB do lots of Fibre along their routes. Far more sensible, that's what is rented to ISPs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Annatar

watty wrote: »
    BPL is EVIL and creates massive interference and itself can easily be wiped out by passing taxi radio, walkie talkie (legal CB etc), Tetra, Thunderstorm, Static, power line interference ...
    It's a rubbish technology.

ESB do lots of Fibre along their routes. Far more sensible, that's what is rented to ISPs.

I half asumed that as Indonesia was pushing ahead with it, perhaps certain technological gaps had been filled, interference resolved etc etc

Advertisement