Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Weird rattling noise diesel golf??

Options
  • 07-04-2008 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey guys, have a prob with my golf. When i start it in the morning or after a long time turned off a horrible kinda rattling or even sometimes banging noise comes from the engine... my friend who is a mechanic said its no major prob that his last 2 golfs both did it and its just the flywheel loose or something but not to worry or do anything cause its not damaging the car mechanically and a new flywheel costs 600 or 700euro?? any opinions or any1 have the same prob?
    thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 04GOLF130

Oh 1 more thing the blue light that lights up the speedometer, fuel guage etc.. blinks sometimes when im driving 2...????

anyone any help or opinions at all?
    please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

not too sure about a loose flywheel. That would do real damage if it were loose. (IMO)Maybe ??
    I wouldn't worry about the noise in the morning, if cold. Do you give it time for the oil to circulate around the engine before taking off, or do you just turn the key and go?
    All VAG engines (diesel ones) sound a bit agricultrial first thing when cold.
    What milage is on the car? Does the sound go away, and if so after how long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

If it was my car I'd get it to my mechanic ASAP, rattling maybe, banging? I don't think so, better safe than sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

04GOLF130 wrote: »
    Oh 1 more thing the blue light that lights up the speedometer, fuel guage etc.. blinks sometimes when im driving 2...????

That's just a bad connection / loose wire somewhere.

Happy hunting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

If its the dash rattling i wouldn't worry about it too much, and you'd spend more time trying to find and fix it than its worth.

If its coming from the engine initally when turning on thats ok .. as long as it disappates after 3 - 5 minutes.

Otherwise get to a mechanic asap

Cheers guys,
    banging is over the top its just a loud rattling really, it does go away once driven 4 a while...am ders 75000mls on it, timing belt water pump all done at 62000, so its fine other than this... i do just turn it on and drive off tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

its a VW diesel, of course it rattles! :D;)

sorry :p

your mechanic friend was probably refering to the DMF, Dual Mass Flywheel, these do indeed give trouble in VAG diesels, but the symptoms are vibration through the transmission system under load and take off, and obviously with vibration comes rattling.
    obviously you need to get if checked out, the DMF itself will cost approx €700 - €800
    and they do take a bit of work to fit

thanks for dat...yea he said something similar to wat you just said..
    very expensive....but he said to leave it its no big deal it happens in dem all...
    il just get it checked and get a second opinion.. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

sell it and buy a new one;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement