Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

petrol car depreciation?

Options
  • 07-04-2008 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

considering the new vrt changes, and the current mindset towards diesel

do you think that current 06/07 petrols and petrol autos will depreciate more?
    in the engine range of 1.6L-2.0L

and come July will depreciate more than normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would imagine all pre 08 second hand cars, both petrol and diesel will devalue further in July as a knock on effect on the VRT/motor tax changes. Of course diesels will probaly still be worth that bit more than petrols simply because they are more economical.

The way I see it you cannot beat depreciation but can limit it by keeping your current car longer or until it dies. Cars depreciate more in their first 3 years than at any other time in their useful life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

bazz26 wrote: »
    I would imagine all pre 08 second hand cars, both petrol and diesel will devalue further in July as a knock on effect on the VRT/motor tax changes. Of course diesels will probaly still be worth that bit more than petrols simply because they are more economical.

The way I see it you cannot beat depreciation but can limit it by keeping your current car longer or until it dies. Cars depreciate more in their first 3 years than at any other time in their useful life.

I think it's entirely possible that whilst they will continue to depreciate, certain types won't depreciate any quicker than they do now. There isn't a lot of choice in diesels, in automatic - so, for those looking for automatics (used) - the pool isn't going to get any bigger come July. In this case then, you do not stand to lose any more than normal, imho........

And there are still people who simply just don't want/like diesels, and they're not going to change, come july, because new petrols' will go up, so used ones may...........hold their own?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Will depend on the individual car in question IMO. Big engined saloons have always suffered chronic depreciation anyway. But niche cars (i.e. performance hatches, coupes) with larger engines shouldn't be affected that much I reckon. In fact, pre-July 08 cars could be worth a few quid more due to being cheaper to tax.

Advertisement