Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance

Options
  • 07-04-2008 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

My G/F has a car and I am learning to drive. I passed my theory on the second attempt, but I wondering what the insurance critiera was. She has been driving for 8 years and has fully comp insurance. She is insured for any driver to drive her car, but she says I need to be put on her insurance as a named driver?

Is this right or is there another way? I am just trying to save money, as I am 42 and have never had a licence before either here or the UK. I did have a provisional one in the UK, but never passed my test.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

when you say she is insured for anyone to drive her car, does she have open drive insruance? if so, the criteria (in most ins companies) is that anyone between 25 and 65 can drive the car as long as they hold a valid full licence. I think you will have to be put on the insurance as a named driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    My G/F has a car and I am learning to drive. I passed my theory on the second attempt, but I wondering what the insurance critiera was. She has been driving for 8 years and has fully comp insurance. She is insured for any driver to drive her car, but she says I need to be put on her insurance as a named driver?

Is this right or is there another way? I am just trying to save money, as I am 42 and have never had a licence before either here or the UK. I did have a provisional one in the UK, but never passed my test.

if you are on a prov, afaik you need to be a named driver on her policy. Also, afaik, you'll only have 3rd party even tho her policy is fully comp.

I'm a named driver on my Dads car, it only cost something like 150 euro.

Advertisement