Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Refusal

Options
  • 07-04-2008 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I applied for an AIB credit card about a month ago... I think it was the "Click" one where I was refused. I rang up and was told there was an income requirement of €25k which is fair enough... I obviously missed this detail.

So the lady told me to apply for the other one which had an income requirement of €20k and I should be fine. However I have received yet another decline.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a reason why this could be? I meet the income requirement. I'm over 18. Have a permanent job. Have €7.5k roughly in savings (in different accounts). Have only had and have one car loan which I have always paid. Have no other credit cards. Also have been with the bank for about 6/7 years. It's very frustrating to be declined by my bank. I'll be ringing up later for a chat with someone but I understand they are under no obligation to tell me the reason.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Just get an mbna card. Much easier

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭MortgageBroker

look up Irish Credit Bureau and get a report from them, its only €6 or something. if there is something on your report that could be the reason for refusals.

Either that or AIB are being over cautious. I certainly wouldn't be going cap in hand to my bank if they won't offer any form of credit, in fact the best thing you can do is to move your account to the bank that will give you a credit card (assuming you get a decent deal on fees etc.) and reward AIB with the just deserves of the loyalty they have shown you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 josephine20

Thanks for the replies. I have now applied for another card so I will see what happens with that. If they give me the card I will be switching my current account to that bank also.

Maybe AIB do have a genuine reason for refusing the application. I really would love to know. I'm no expert on credit cards but didn't think my circumstances made me high risk.

Am also applying for the credit report so will be interesting to see what is on that.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you want to see a list of cards, and most have the minimum salary requirements if you click on more details LINK HERE

I would also second the ICB as 'MortgageBroker' said. link here to apply online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I applied to AIB for the "be" credit card a few months ago and was refused, so I applied online for the "click" credit card and received it in the post a week later.

Why I was given one and not the other God only knows.

The downside is it only has a credit limit of €500:(

I presume I have to use it for a while before I can ask for an increase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

I was rejected for the the Tesco credit card, despite having over 100k in savings. I think now that it was because I was renting and was in my current address for less than a year.

If you have changed address a few times recently or are renting this will negatively affect your eligibility for a card.

I subsequently got a credit card from MBNA and am happy enough with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 josephine20

Ok, so I phoned AIB and they told me I had been rejected due to irregular income. So my reply was that I get paid monthly. After looking at my Statements again they said oh yeah, we see that now. Idiots. Getting a card anyway. Yeah the limit is very low but doesn't but doesn't bother me. Thanks for the replies everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Ok, so I phoned AIB and they told me I had been rejected due to irregular income. So my reply was that I get paid monthly. After looking at my Statements again they said oh yeah, we see that now. Idiots. Getting a card anyway. Yeah the limit is very low but doesn't but doesn't bother me. Thanks for the replies everyone!

Same here! Exact same excuse but I put them straight (working for their competitor ;)) Got it in the end.

Advertisement