Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrets needed

Options
  • 07-04-2008 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Im kinda reguler here so hope you dont mind making a request. Im looking for female ferrets if anyone knows anyone that is trying to sell or re-home any. they do not need to be spayed, as i have a few hobs and only the one jill and im afraid its getting to that time of year and they are all trying to get at her so the others could need some company. Please note that all my ferrets are kept in great condition and looked after well. If the girls are to be bred from it will not be for profit!!!!!!! (ferreting is a hobby of mine and other friends of mine, we all keep them) Ps - my reasoning for this post also is that if female ferrets are not bred with they can get very ill if not treated.

Thanks,

Stevo

Comments

They are very very hard to find. There are waiting lists in Ireland at the moment, and your not going to get any for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

They are very very hard to find. There are waiting lists in Ireland at the moment, and your not going to get any for a long time.

waiting lists? thats probobly for shelters id say dre. Im actually looking more so for the working lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

stevoman wrote: »
    waiting lists? thats probobly for shelters id say dre. Im actually looking more so for the working lines.

A lot of the "good" working line ferrets are bred rarely and also have a waiting list. I've had many a chat with dedicated old fogey ferret breeders and they'll often favour hunting with the jill - which they cant do if she has kits.

If you plan to breed from them yourself you really want to be seeking out some of the older dedicated breeders so that you ensure you're getting proper healthy bloodlines (same as you would breeding any animal) with a proven "pedigree" to rule out avoidable genetic problems in your kits. You really don't want to just be getting ferrets from someone who's bred two unknowns and produces a litter if you plan to breed from them.

hadook wrote: »
    A lot of the "good" working line ferrets are bred rarely and also have a waiting list. I've had many a chat with dedicated old fogey ferret breeders and they'll often favour hunting with the jill - which they cant do if she has kits.

If you plan to breed from them yourself you really want to be seeking out some of the older dedicated breeders so that you ensure you're getting proper healthy bloodlines (same as you would breeding any animal) with a proven "pedigree" to rule out avoidable genetic problems in your kits. You really don't want to just be getting ferrets from someone who's bred two unknowns and produces a litter if you plan to breed from them.

true. at the moment i have 3 hobs and one jill. My jill is an albino and is being seen by my albino hob. my other two hobs are polecat crosses but TBH i have dont a lot of research over the years and there is no prblom breeding these with any jills once they are healthy. most ferreters seem to prefer jills as they slip through the nets easier. Personally myself i prefer hobs as i dont use nets whilst im hunting and they are that little bit slower. of course they are fond of falling out with each other but thats just the season thats in it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I have heard some people say that they find the hobs are inclined to get themselves lost.

• Advertisement

I have heard some people say that they find the hobs are inclined to get themselves lost.

whilst out hunting quite right. i have a ferret finder though. an expensive little peice of kit let me tell you, but worth it. It is a collor which yopu place around its neck that has a transmitter on it. You also have a hand bleeper that will read where and how deep you ferret is. When your ferret lies up in the burrow you can then pin point it and dig down and get him out. well worth the €280.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

What do you hunt with ferrets if you don't mind me asking? Birds?

What do you hunt with ferrets if you don't mind me asking? Birds?

Rabbits laura. Thats what nature has programmed ferrets for. Its good sport and enables you to keep the rabbits which you wish to eat and release the small, old and pregnant ones. Alo very good for re-population purposes aswell.

From Wiki.....

Ferreting
    Main article: Rabbiting
    For hundreds of years, the main use of ferrets was for hunting, or ferreting. With their long, lean build and inquisitive nature, ferrets are very well equipped for getting down holes and chasing rodents and rabbits out of their burrows. Caesar Augustus sent ferrets or mongooses (named "viverrae" by Plinius) to the Balearic Islands to control the rabbit plagues in 6 BC.[14] They are still used for hunting in some countries, including the United Kingdom and Australia, where rabbits are considered a plague species. However, the practice is illegal in several countries where it is feared that ferrets could unbalance the ecology.

In England, in 1390, a law was enacted restricting the use of ferrets for hunting to those of substantial means:

“ ...it is ordained that no manner of layman which hath not lands to the value of forty shillings a year (the equivalent of about £1,000 in today's money[15]) shall from henceforth keep any greyhound or other dog to hunt, nor shall he use ferrets, nets, heys, harepipes nor cords, nor other engines for to take or destroy deer, hares, nor conies, nor other gentlemen's game, under pain of twelve months' imprisonment.[16] ”

Ferrets were first introduced into the New World in the 17th century, and were used extensively from 1860 until the start of World War II to protect grain stores in the American West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Hi folks,

Im kinda reguler here so hope you dont mind making a request. Im looking for female ferrets if anyone knows anyone that is trying to sell or re-home any. they do not need to be spayed, as i have a few hobs and only the one jill and im afraid its getting to that time of year and they are all trying to get at her so the others could need some company. Please note that all my ferrets are kept in great condition and looked after well. If the girls are to be bred from it will not be for profit!!!!!!! (ferreting is a hobby of mine and other friends of mine, we all keep them) Ps - my reasoning for this post also is that if female ferrets are not bred with they can get very ill if not treated.

Thanks,

Stevo
    i have a cousin who breeds ferrets.He hunts for rabbits.il find out if he has any as hes a big breeder for them.Pm me if interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

whilst out hunting quite right. i have a ferret finder though. an expensive little peice of kit let me tell you, but worth it. It is a collor which yopu place around its neck that has a transmitter on it. You also have a hand bleeper that will read where and how deep you ferret is. When your ferret lies up in the burrow you can then pin point it and dig down and get him out. well worth the €280.
    €280 for the finder is expensive,

you can but a deben mark 3 for €210 in the UK, check ebay or one of the large field sports suppliers.

that price included postage to Kerry!

• Advertisement

maims3875 wrote: »
    €280 for the finder is expensive,

you can but a deben mark 3 for €210 in the UK, check ebay or one of the large field sports suppliers.

that price included postage to Kerry!

your right €210 is what i paid. i got ahead of myself!!!

Advertisement