Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diet help needed

• 06-04-2008 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

EileenG wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of muffin top is to burn bodyfat. You can't exercise it away by doing sit-ups. Get on your bike and cycle, put on your runners and run.

One thing I have noticed is that when people switch to a very low carb diet, the muffin top is often one of the first places to shrink. In fact, I have a vague memory that of a study that found that people with muffin tops do much better on low carb diets than pear shapes.

So try cutting out anything with sugar, flour, box breakfast cereals, low fat products, ready meals, potatoes, rice, pasta, dried fruit or fruit juices. In fact, keep fruit for before workouts only. Eat lots of eggs, meat, lots and lots of green veg and snack on things like cottage cheese and nuts.

eileen hello, im new here and needing advice, as u can see by the "name" i tried lipotrim (only 2 stone 7pds overweight) i lost 3 pounds in 3 days, then stopped cos the body fat scales read. fat loss hadnt changed, but muscle loss...3 pounds! i dont no loads about nutrition but i know muscle loss is the last thing i need. so my question is, if i start doing light weights and some cardio, how long will it take for me to tone up, i honestly dont eat huge amounts, shreddies in morning with milk, apple for snack, chicken and salad for lunch, maybe rice yogurts then toast after work, i dont bother cooking dinner. I dont eat junk (dont think i do lol) my problem is, i dont do anything except sit at a desk all day, so no activity. any advice would be great. thanks P.s im ALWAYS HUNGRY!!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

eileen hello, im new here and needing advice, as u can see by the "name" i tried lipotrim (only 2 stone 7pds overweight) i lost 3 pounds in 3 days, then stopped cos the body fat scales read. fat loss hadnt changed, but muscle loss...3 pounds! i dont no loads about nutrition but i know muscle loss is the last thing i need. so my question is, if i start doing light weights and some cardio, how long will it take for me to tone up, i honestly dont eat huge amounts, shreddies in morning with milk, apple for snack, chicken and salad for lunch, maybe rice yogurts then toast after work, i dont bother cooking dinner. I dont eat junk (dont think i do lol) my problem is, i dont do anything except sit at a desk all day, so no activity. any advice would be great. thanks P.s im ALWAYS HUNGRY!!!:confused:

Hi, welcome to the boards!

Start eating more! Constant hunger means you are not eating enough. On a good diet, you may be occasionally peckish, but not starving.

You need to get some decent protein and fats into your diet. Try eating a dinner with something like salmon and broccoli, and have nuts and hard boiled eggs as snacks. The huge advantage of eggs is that they are an excellent food, and I've never met a single person who can binge on them. As soon as you are not hungry, you stop eating.

Most of what you are eating now (Shreddies, apples, toast, rice yogurt), is very high in simple carbs which convert to sugar at the speed of light. Try something like porridge for breakfast, maybe sprinkled with flaxseed or nuts. Your lunch is fine, but you really need to eat a decent dinner with quality protein (meat or fish).

Forget light weights, lift as heavy as you can with good form. I promise you, that will get you looking toned, it won't give you massive muscles. Light weights are just wasting your time.

Are you using one of those bodyfat scales? Ignore the bodyfat reading, and in particularly don't rely on it to tell you if you have lost fat or muscle. Your hydration level totally confuses it and will give you wild readings.

Your best bet is a tape measure and regular semi-naked photos. Anyone who steals my mobile is in for a very nasty shock! If your measurements are going down, particularly your waist, you are losing fat, no matter what the scales say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lipo starter

eileen thanks for that, i thought i was doing great eating apples and yogurts! im not mad on veggies, except tomatoes and onions but veggies like broccoli and cauli..cant stand! i can eat sprouts, the whole office knows when lol or the baked beans low sugar and salt ones. i know the calories i should be eating but dont know how to add up what i eat each day, so is it possible that im not eating enough protein, my eating habits have been commented on at work, ie i dont eat enough through the day, so am i overweight cos i dont do anything? i do hav a big chicken curry on friday nights though and some vodka :D weight has stayed same for 2years now, how much time would i spend on my exercise bike? its recumbent one and i have 5pound weights, would they be heavy enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

There are lots of interesting ways to cook veggies.

Try spinach with garlic cooked in olive oil.

Or puree some boiled brussel sprouts with chicken stock to make a lovely creamy soup.

Mix your broccoli or cauliflower with tomatoes, top with cheese and brown under the grill.

Layer slices of sauteed aubergine and cooked mince to make a low carb lasagna.

Cabbage and bacon is a classic for a reason.

Add some spring onions and mushrooms to your omlettes.

Use stalks of celery as a spoon to eat your peanut butter.

When ever you are in McDonalds, have the side salad. Only 13 calories a bowl!

There are several free websites that allow you to enter your food and the amount, and they'll add it up for you, and tell you if you are running short of any pacticular minerals or vitamins.

Try www.fitday.com
    www.lowcarber.org (MyPlan has a food diary, exercise diary and a really cool graph to plot your weight loss).
    www.sparkpeople.com

Chicken curry (unless you make it yourself) normally has a mega calorie count. Keep it as a treat rather than a regular thing. A burger has a lot fewer cals.

Generally, the harder you work, the quicker you can stop. If you just pedal away without breaking a sweat, you are going to have to do at least an hour. However, if you go flat out, as hard as you can, for say a minute, then do a slow recovery minute, and repeat that six times, you could be finished in 12 minutes.

You could also try things like stair running or even skipping. Put on some loud music and dance like a lunatic.

If you combine the 5lb dumbells with lots of bodyweight exercises like squats, lunges, press-ups, you can do a great workout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lipo starter

thanks, i keep starting on the bike, do a few days then stop again, i usually do 40mins i do sweat, and hav to stop then cos i can feel like a pulsing at the back of my head/neck..(maybe im just strange!) then i will stretch out. so will do it in the low/high mode you said, just for 15mins but every day. will try the toning too. i like the omelette idea, will try, will let you know when ive gone down a dress size...could be quite a while lol:D thanks very much for your advice

Advertisement