Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to parking space through apartment building - help needed

Options
  • 07-04-2008 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

A friend of mine is selling a car space and the new buyer is asking for a front door key to the block so he can access it safely at night. He is paying towards the service charge and, the Estate Agent who selling the space told me that the management company refused point blank to give a key to access the block when requested. Does any one know if this is legal or can I take this to a higher authority like the consumers association of Ireland, or any regulation body who oversees Management companies? Any help would be appreciated as I feel that the owner of the space who is my friend is being taken for a ride by the management company in their refusal to assist him in the sale of the space and the safety aspect of the new buyer who wants to be able to access the space from the front well light road as opposed to the rear poorly light and problematic area behind the property. Regards David.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

The buyer is asking for a key to an apartment block he doesn't live in?

I think that's your answer right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Why doesn't the new buyer take it up with the management agent?

Of course, your friend could escalate it to the management company directors (not the management agent), and see what they say.

But, from reading the post - someone who doesn't live in that building wouldn't have any right to a key to it, especially since there is an alternate route to the car park that does not require access through the building. I think the management agent is well within their right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Is the parking space connected to an apartment? If so, he probably can't sell it. He may not actually own it, but only has a right to use it under licence. He should read the lease and consult a solicitor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If a management company exists- it means that the property is in fact on a longterm lease, rather than being owned outright, by the owners. I would be shocked if it were found that the Management Company were not correct in their actions to refuse to release a key to a non-resident in the complex. Also- depending on the lease that your friend has, its entirely possible that they may be prohibited from re-assigning the parking space in perpetuity. The fact that he has a designated space- is irrelevant- its for his personal use. He really needs to get a copy of his lease and look at the specifics about parking and subletting thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I think the management company are absolutely right in refusing to give a key to someone who doesn't live in the apartment block.

By the way - I agree with antoinolachtnai. Is your friend sure he/she can sell the car parking space? Usually in apartment blocks you are leasing the space in the same way as you are leasing your balcony space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I presume the OP means that the space is leased, I agree with the other 2 posters above in thinking it's unlikely an apartment owner is allowed to sell on their space.

Advertisement