Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo cats

Options
  • 07-04-2008 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

I found my cat when she was very small (4 weeks) in a bush. We are not really cat people and were supposed to re-home her. I ended up falling in love with her and we decided to keep her. Shes now 2 and a half and spayed and happy and healthy but I've seen a few posts on here saying its not fair to keep just one cat. I have two dogs but she's not really in their gang. (Although when they are asleep she does get in beside them to curl up.) Do you think I should get another cat or do you think she's ok? She palls around with one of our neighbours cats all the time and he comes into our garden to play. She doesn't seem lonely but then again, I'm not a cat so I can't ask her if she is.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Its usually just when a cat is kept indoors in a household where everyone is out all day that the advice is to get another cat for company.

If you already have 2 dogs I'd say you must be around a fair bit?

Your cat is probably happy enough being 'star of the show' in your house! Sometimes cats don't like it when they are all settled into a house and another cat is introduced.

Unless you are really pining to adopt another little stray, I'd say your cat is perfectly content!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Yeah, the longest my two are EVER on their own is 4 hours. I'm either here and my Da works from home most of the time.
    I'm not too pushed on getting another cat but if she was lonely, I would. If I found one that would be a different story all together. Theres always someone here for her though so maybe she's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Personally I wouldn't keep one cat, I'd have a pair, because I know with my neighbours cats they love each others company and even cuddle up and go to sleep together and play together etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Personally I wouldn't keep one cat, I'd have a pair, because I know with my neighbours cats they love each others company and even cuddle up and go to sleep together and play together etc.

That's great if you're just thinking about getting a cat. In this case you're talking about introducing a new cat into this cats territory. Unless you particularly want another cat yourself and are therefore prepared to put up with any problems arising from the introductions of said cat.

Your cat that you have now sounds perfectly happy, when she does want company there is the neighbours cat to hang out with. Bringing a new cat into the household would quite likely not be something she would thank you for. The new cat would be an intruder to your cat. They would probably come to tolerate one another eventually, but there could be a lot of swatting and growling and possibly bullying before that would happen. It is unlikely that they would ever cuddle up together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Well then I'll leave it. She does seem happy and we're always here to let her out and it whenever she wants. Just didn't want her to be lonely but I'd say she's ok. Thanks, Folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Well then I'll leave it. She does seem happy and we're always here to let her out and it whenever she wants. Just didn't want her to be lonely but I'd say she's ok. Thanks, Folks.

She's defo fine, it's very hard to introduce a new cat into a home when there is one there. That might be down to peoples ignorance (mine included) I think dogs are just easier to read so easier to introduce. They're naturally fairly solitary anyway. I have two who spend ALL day apart except for when they are sleeping. The fact she climbs in with your dogs means she has her sleeping buddies already.

Do you have a pic of her in with the dogs? I'd love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

The interaction between cats can be so much more subtle, it is a lot harder to really understand exactly what is going on. A lot of people think because they have stopped hitting each other that they are grand together now.

Sometimes it can be as simple as one of them sitting beside the toilet area - be it an indoor litter tray, or the best toilet spot outside - and eyeballing the other cat. Or sometimes coming up and surprising them when they are in the middle of going. Toilet time is a time when cats need to feel they are not going to be suddenly pounced on. A lot of cats end up with UTI's because they hold it in for way too long all the time for fear they will get disturbed.

If you actively want another cat then it is a different story as you are more likely to be happy to put in the effort to make sure that everyone will end up happy. Having a multi cat household is an ongoing state of keeping an eye on everyones behaviour and readjusting the environment to keep them all happy and entertained. It is hugely rewarding if you love your cats, if you're not really a cat person then I imagine it would be quite a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I have two cats and they are a full time job. Although they don't fight that often, they tear around the house after each other knocking everything in their way and are constantly trying to do each other both vocally for my attention. I often have to seperate them to get some peace.

Just as well I am a cat lover cause sometimes it feels like I have two kids instead of cats. But they bring so much fun to the house and since we got the younger one our older fella has got way more playful and affectionate.

Advertisement