Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying ammunition from outside of Ireland?

Options
  • 07-04-2008 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

What’s the position on buying ammunition from:
    1. Northern Ireland and bringing it down south?

Will the NI dealers sell the ammo to you in the first place even when showing them your license?
    2. Importing from the EU, US or Canada.
    What documentation is required to do this? Is this possible without jumping through to many hoops?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

clivej wrote: »
    Will the NI dealers sell the ammo to you in the first place even when showing them your license?

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

To buy ammo in Northern Ireland you need a visitors licence from the PSNI.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And a full licence in the ROI and the Article 7 that comes with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Meaning it is more trouble than it is worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Meaning it is more trouble than it is worth.

IM paying 170 euro per 1000 in the north but im up there alot 250 for the same south ,when you add diesel petrol, it works out for me as I spend alot of time up there anyway,found most dealers a pleasure to deal with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Just to clarify, is the procedure for buying ammo from the EU that I need an Article 7 and a licence here? Assuming the price difference is ridiculous or the ammo is not available here, is it worth the hassle? Shipping will be hefty enough for the size of the parcel too, presumably, but just how much hassle is involved, assuming I have a willing seller on the continent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

It wasnt me, at the moment as an FAC holder in Ireland you cannot buy ammo and have it shipped to you, as you are not a dealer.

Recommendation:
    1) Get FAC with at least 1000 rds + Euro pass
    2) Get PSNI cert (thru sponser etc. Cert will have same ammo limit as EU Pass)
    3) Go north often, and when up there but to your limit.
    4) if stopped North-OK within limit, If stopped South- OK within limit.
    Problem solved

At the moment I am paying €275-€325 per 1000, but hope to reduce that shortly to €260 for .40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

cantona wrote: »
    It wasnt me, at the moment as an FAC holder in Ireland you cannot buy ammo and have it shipped to you, as you are not a dealer.

Recommendation:
    1) Get FAC with at least 1000 rds + Euro pass
    2) Get PSNI cert (thru sponser etc. Cert will have same ammo limit as EU Pass)
    3) Go north often, and when up there but to your limit.
    4) if stopped North-OK within limit, If stopped South- OK within limit.
    Problem solved

At the moment I am paying €275-€325 per 1000, but hope to reduce that shortly to €260 for .40

**** what you shooting and what shells

Thing is, I want to buy from Germany. Is it possible to have it shipped to a dealer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

At present rates, carraige for 1000 rds costs same as carraige for 30,000 rds.
    If u order 1000 rds @ 300 per thou and carraige, then dealer gharfes 300 plus carraige (€70)= €370 = expensive

If dealer orders 30,000rds then individual price = 300+ 70/30 per thou=€302.33

PM me with your cal.

• Advertisement

Well, thinking in terms of .22lr, but more that there are private sellers looking to get rid of relatively small amounts - 500 or 1000 - of very nice ammo at very nice prices, and I'm wondering what the cost is going to be to get that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The importation licence bit with bringing in ammo from Northern Ireland looks completely unenforceable. Assume that I'm licenced in both jurisdictions who's going to know where I bought my ammo ?

Let's use a practical example, again assuming that all my permits and licences are up to scratch. Ok, here goes, I have permission to hunt a farm on the Monaghan-Armagh border. I'm hunting away and cross the border a few times during the afternoon. So according to the law I need an importation permit for the cartridges in my belt every time I cross the border ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The importation licence bit with bringing in ammo from Northern Ireland looks completely unenforceable.
    'tis funny how it always looks unenforceable until the nice gentlemen from the PSNI and/or Gardai show up, at which point you find that not only is it enforceable, but that absolutely no-one in authority takes the "erra, it'll be grand" viewpoint when it comes to firearms and the Ireland/Northern Ireland border...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lusoshooter

Hi, Lads
    I lived in the "states" for 5 years,and when i returned to my country(Portugal)
    I broth home a couple of thousand rounds of .22lr from very good quality for $9 for 500 round bundle.Like i still have family there it's possible to bring ammo from there?Because it's ridiculous the price for 1000 bundles there...
    I used to by from a online store called Cabelas.com they ship over seas everything less guns,ammo,and optics,so you need somebody to ship the Ammo and for me thats is not a problem. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Sparks wrote: »
    'tis funny how it always looks unenforceable until the nice gentlemen from the PSNI and/or Gardai show up, at which point you find that not only is it enforceable, but that absolutely no-one in authority takes the "erra, it'll be grand" viewpoint when it comes to firearms and the Ireland/Northern Ireland border...

I know Sparks, but if you're licenced in both jurisdictions how can anyone tell where you got your ammo from ? If you're just trying to nip up to let's say Newry to buy a load of cartridges without an NI licence and without an importation permit you're only leaving your arse hang out to be kicked.

Advertisement