Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When is it safe to wash fresh paint?

Options
  • 07-04-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭

Got a kit for my car a week ago and have it on the car a week now so the paint is about 8days old.. I was told hold off using a power hose for a while as it will take off the paint.. Do ye guys think it will be safe to use a power hose now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I got a full respray on an old car and was told not to polish or use a powerhose on it for about a month or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

no, if you really, really, really have to wash it - warm water,baby bath lotion in it, and a nice soft sponge!

ohhhhh, and easy on the elbow grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I wouldn't use baby bath lotion in it, could cause more damage to the fresh paint

why would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Leave it for 2 to 3 weeks at least and then gentle washes only with lukewarm water, preferably a ph neutral shampoo, using a garden hose and not a power wash. And only use silicone-free bodyshop polishes for the first 3 months. Avoid waxing it any sooner as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Cheers guys for the help

TomMc wrote: »
    Leave it for 2 to 3 weeks at least and then gentle washes only with lukewarm water, preferably a ph neutral shampoo, using a garden hose and not a power wash. And only use silicone-free bodyshop polishes for the first 3 months. Avoid waxing it any sooner as well.

+1

Tom is right, and thats why i recommended the baby babth stuff as its ph neutral. There a real tendancy here on these bords for guys/gals to contradict (just for the sakes of it) what good advice people give in response to OP queries. Gezzzzzzzzzzzzzz:(

Advertisement